6pm clap tonight for Sir Tom
(02-03-2021, 09:43 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:59 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:50 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 06:10 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: I've just been out, and, because my wife wanted to, we've done it. 
About 3 others doing it. Very few.
I mention this particularly because he grew up 100 yards from our house, in Keighley. 
The local paper is full of it of course.

Tokenism by the government and ridiculous that no notice was given. Many weren’t aware. 
Guy did well, but as ever the culture of celebrity, which is what he became gets in the way of more important stories.
Sorry for the family, and it was a lovely tale but it’s all been a big slushy deflection from other matters and easy column inches for papers. 
RIP though old chap he had quite an end to his time.

And if people can’t move their fat arses to their front door for a 30 second break from this dump to applaud an elderly bloke who tried to make a difference, then what lies in store?

I think people can express their gratitude to him, the NHS and others in their own way and for longer than 30 seconds by the decisions and actions they make. Clap don’t clap its actions not gestures that really make a difference.

+1

If you feel comfortable doing it then do it, if not then don't.

I will say Duffers made a very good point about the tokenism by some given the last decade of austerity that has affected the elderly and the NHS but that’s the U.K. sadly.
(02-03-2021, 09:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:43 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 09:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:59 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:50 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Tokenism by the government and ridiculous that no notice was given. Many weren’t aware. 
Guy did well, but as ever the culture of celebrity, which is what he became gets in the way of more important stories.
Sorry for the family, and it was a lovely tale but it’s all been a big slushy deflection from other matters and easy column inches for papers. 
RIP though old chap he had quite an end to his time.

And if people can’t move their fat arses to their front door for a 30 second break from this dump to applaud an elderly bloke who tried to make a difference, then what lies in store?

I think people can express their gratitude to him, the NHS and others in their own way and for longer than 30 seconds by the decisions and actions they make. Clap don’t clap its actions not gestures that really make a difference.

+1

If you feel comfortable doing it then do it, if not then don't.

I will say Duffers made a very good point about the tokenism by some given the last decade of austerity that has affected the elderly and the NHS but that’s the U.K. sadly.

It's also sad that the whole thing has been so politicised by this shameless chancer in number ten.  Both the original clap and Sir Tom's actions were beyond politic.