6pm clap tonight for Sir Tom
Alright we get it, you clapped. Your medal is in the post.
We’ve become a nation, IMO, more interested in appearing to care about things than we do about actually addressing any of these issues. People would happily stand on their doorsteps and clap like seals for the NHS so that their neighbours can see how compassionate they are, yet will also vote for the same people who are denying them pay increases. People say we need to support the NHS yet half a million people cram onto Bournemouth beach or the countless other mass lockdown breaches we’ve seen other the past year.

Captain Tom was a great man and deserves to be remembered and celebrated, but these public displays feel hollow and empty to me. Which is why I choose not to participate. Others are free to do so.
(02-03-2021, 07:53 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:48 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:51 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:48 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Anyone else find this a bit OTT, or is it just me?

<awaits stick>

No, I do too.

A great man who achieved so much throughout his life, but I won’t be taking part, it feels forced and unnecessary.

You weren't forced. It was a personal choice.

The key word was “feels”.

I really wish you would read things probably that weren’t printed on the side of a bus.

No. The key words were "forced" and "unnecessary". And plagiarizing DH''s bus gag on repeat not your greatest Chief Board WUM moment.
I participated in the clapping tonight - only house on our street - would have been a better thing to do it saturday day time me thinks. The ironic british humour of him dying in a NHS hospital from covid at 100 ! Well, he will be remembered in the history books for centuries now I should think - God Bless that man.
(02-03-2021, 08:05 PM)Duffers Wrote: We’ve become a nation, IMO, more interested in appearing to care about things than we do about actually addressing any of these issues. People would happily stand on their doorsteps and clap like seals for the NHS so that their neighbours can see how compassionate they are, yet will also vote for the same people who are denying them pay increases. People say we need to support the NHS yet half a million people cram onto Bournemouth beach or the countless other mass lockdown breaches we’ve seen other the past year.

Captain Tom was a great man and deserves to be remembered and celebrated, but these public displays feel hollow and empty to me. Which is why I choose not to participate. Others are free to do so.

Agreed.

No sure why you, sadly, felt the need to justify though.

I never did the clap the first time round - my decision. My own personal reasons.

I did tonight, and as above, my own personal reasons and decision.

I don't look down upon anyone who didn't choose to participate in either.
(02-03-2021, 08:15 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:53 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:48 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:51 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:48 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Anyone else find this a bit OTT, or is it just me?

<awaits stick>

No, I do too.

A great man who achieved so much throughout his life, but I won’t be taking part, it feels forced and unnecessary.

You weren't forced. It was a personal choice.

The key word was “feels”.

I really wish you would read things probably that weren’t printed on the side of a bus.

No. The key words were "forced" and "unnecessary". And plagiarizing DH''s bus gag on repeat not your greatest Chief Board WUM moment.

Everyone has their own reasons for this.

Not the time for pettiness.
(02-03-2021, 08:16 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 08:05 PM)Duffers Wrote: We’ve become a nation, IMO, more interested in appearing to care about things than we do about actually addressing any of these issues. People would happily stand on their doorsteps and clap like seals for the NHS so that their neighbours can see how compassionate they are, yet will also vote for the same people who are denying them pay increases. People say we need to support the NHS yet half a million people cram onto Bournemouth beach or the countless other mass lockdown breaches we’ve seen other the past year.

Agreed.

I never did the clap the first time round - my decision. My own personal reasons.

I’ve not looked down on anyone who has done it. If people wanna clap that’s down to them.

FF told me to get out and clap and I explained why I wasn’t going to.
(02-03-2021, 07:40 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:20 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 07:13 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 06:09 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Well I applauded Tom tonight for all his efforts

So? Do you want a round of applause or something?

You can if you want to Dumbo

I don't think there's any reason to make this thread one of conflict on here, do you?

Looks like it is too late for that mate - Jeez!! Undecided
(02-03-2021, 08:20 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Agreed.

I’ve not looked down on anyone who has done it. If people wanna clap that’s down to them.

If you think that’s funny then I pity your kids
(02-03-2021, 08:20 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Agreed.

I know.

This clapping stuff is personal for me. I understand why colonel it and fully appreciate why they don't.