6pm clap tonight for Sir Tom
(02-03-2021, 05:17 PM)Solihull Throstle Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 04:48 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Anyone else find this a bit OTT, or is it just me?

<awaits stick>

Yep.
I had lots of time for the guy, and feel for his friends and family, but find the whole reaction a bit much.
Front page of every newspaper?
Without getting too political it is a great "deflection" story when there are serious questions to be asked by journalists.
Also, I wonder how many of those who are broken-hearted by his passing actually give a stuff about the NHS based on their voting history.

I agree with your whole post. Virtue signalling to deflect from real issues. So many didn't care about the NHS and its staff, then think giving them a round of applause means they suddenly care?

I'm sure he was a great bloke, and I feel for his family (like every family who loses a loved one), but this clapping thing is weird IMO.

But each to their own, if folk want to clap, go for it.
(02-03-2021, 04:48 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote: Anyone else find this a bit OTT, or is it just me?

<awaits stick>

Me too.
Clapping for the NHS was brilliant, though it ran its course.
I think he's become a symbol, rather than a real"hero".
Nothing wrong with that, he was a good bloke, but I agree with you.
The very first clap for the NHS was great because it happened organically and spontaneously. And it grew, problem is that after a while it loses its power and people inevitably find ways to make it all about them (getting noisier and noisier, berating those who choose not to join in, etc).

It’s ran its course and to be honest having the Prime Minister tell me to stand on my doorstep banging a fucking saucepan does not appeal.
(02-03-2021, 05:38 PM)Duffers Wrote: The very first clap for the NHS was great because it happened organically and spontaneously. And it grew, problem is that after a while it loses its power and people inevitably find ways to make it all about them (getting noisier and noisier, berating those who choose not to join in, etc).

It’s ran its course and to be honest having the Prime Minister tell me to stand on my doorstep banging a fucking saucepan does not appeal.

But this isn’t for the NHS though is it? It’s about a very old war vet that tried to raise some cash for the NHS to fight Covid and ended up dying of Covid.
(02-03-2021, 05:43 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(02-03-2021, 05:38 PM)Duffers Wrote: The very first clap for the NHS was great because it happened organically and spontaneously. And it grew, problem is that after a while it loses its power and people inevitably find ways to make it all about them (getting noisier and noisier, berating those who choose not to join in, etc).

But this isn’t for the NHS though is it? It’s about a very old war vet that tried to raise some cash for the NHS to fight Covid and ended up dying of Covid.

This entirely, he wanted to 'do his bit' and hoped to raise £100 - the rest is history!
Plenty followed in his wake after being inspired to also 'do their bit' and so far over £100 Million has been raised!!
Well I applauded Tom tonight for all his efforts
I've just been out, and, because my wife wanted to, we've done it. 
About 3 others doing it. Very few.
I mention this particularly because he grew up 100 yards from our house, in Keighley. 
The local paper is full of it of course.
(02-03-2021, 06:09 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Well I applauded Tom tonight for all his efforts

My family and I did too mate - I even broke out the Cowbell!  Cool
I'm not sure clapping, or alternatively choosing not to, should be seen as controversial either way. I did like that one of GWR's new inter-city sets was named after him - let's hope that's permanent.

Best acknowledgement of all will be that he's remembered, not just for now but once normality returns. Thankfully, that's probably a given.
(02-03-2021, 06:09 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Well I applauded Tom tonight for all his efforts

Likewise