Missing Woy!
Did he have better players (then and at Palace now)? Yes, Wilf and Eze last night ffs. But behind them are real hardened PL journeyman pros.

Would he keep this lot up? No! We lack both the talent and PL experience mentioned above.

It was more a reflection on the pragmatic style of football and quality of player Roy had that is required for PL survival and how recent it seems to me that we had that, even though in footballing terms it was an eternity ago. Watching Palace for that half hour last night just reminded me of watching the stripes in that period. Tbf I didn't have a ST through those years and I do remember that on occasion it could be bumb numbing at home but some of those away performances!!
An obvious statement but not without substance but as the Megson era resurrected our club’s fortunes losing Hodgson and Ashworth signalled the beginning of the latest decline, in managerial terms we have huffed and puffed since Roy, I’m not a massive Sam fan (his behaviour whilst England manager was shoddy at best) but he is probably the closest we could have to Roy, very similar ethics and approach, I couldn’t/ can’t see either of them being able to keep these players in this league though sadly