Big Match Revisited - Heads Up
Offside Wrote:4th January 1964  we were drawing 2-2 with Blackpool at home in the FA Cup 3rd round on a snow covered pitch.    We got a penalty I think it was in extra time.  Howe grabbed the ball to take it, at the BRE.  Bearing in mind he only scored a dozen or so goals for us in over 300 appearances,  this was a bit optimistic.  His shot was a bit high,  and rumour has it that they found the ball on the roof of the bakery over the road.

We won the replay four days later.  So much for losing a game on a cold January night in Blackpool.

We lost the next FA cup game at Highbury three weeks later.  Shortly after Howe left for Arsenal.

Two years later he broke his leg playing for Arsenal against Blackpool and that effectively ended  his playing career. 

John Osborne used to tell a story about how Howe, frustrated with not being able to motivate the players as manager, walked into the dressing room before a game,  and threw 11 shirts on the floor. He told the players to pick their own team, and walked out.

The players did so,  and won the match 4-0.

As a player he was possibly the best right back I have ever seen at the club. As a manager he was a nightmare.  I remember his first TV interview where he explained how he was going to organise the defence.  Me and a couple of mates looked at each other. We did not have a clue what the fuck he was on about.  As subsequent results suggest, neither did the players.

My Grandad used to say Howe was the best full back he'd ever seen. A comment I didn't take lightly as a kid because he'd normally only acknowledge players from the 20s and 30s as the best. He was too soon for me as a player but I right on time for me as a manager.  Dour, nowt else.