Big Match Revisited - Heads Up
This is on ITV4 every Saturday morning. They are currently featuring the 74/75 season.

This coming Saturday one of the supporting matches will be Norwich v Albion. Programme starts at 10.30am
(12-01-2020, 01:07 AM)baggie_ray Wrote: This is on ITV4 every Saturday morning. They are currently featuring the 74/75 season.

This coming Saturday one of the supporting matches will be Norwich v Albion. Programme starts at 10.30am

They showed that in the summer. A 3-2 defeat. Albion a disappointing 6th that season. Norwich 3rd and promoted with Villa and Man Utd.
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
baggie_ray Wrote:This is on ITV4 every Saturday morning. They are currently featuring the 74/75 season.

They showed that in the summer. A 3-2 defeat. Albion a disappointing 6th that season. Norwich 3rd and promoted with Villa and Man Utd.
It truly was disappointing. I went to that game, my early years of travelling away with mates and earning my own money. Those first years out of the top flight were an eye opener to those of us brought up with Hope, Astle and Chipper. I still loved it though.
(12-01-2020, 08:57 AM)TomĀ Joad Wrote:
Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
baggie_ray Wrote:This is on ITV4 every Saturday morning. They are currently featuring the 74/75 season.

It truly was disappointing. I went to that game, my early years of travelling away with mates and earning my own money. Those first years out of the top flight were an eye opener to those of us brought up with Hope, Astle and Chipper. I still loved it though.

Don Howe one of Albion's greatest ever players. Don Howe one of Albion's poorest ever managers.
Always good to see some footage of matches played before football was formally invented.
Thought I'd bump this as we are closer to the date.

Also, I am sure Don Howe has been quoted as saying the only difference between his Albion team and Giles' Albion team was that the latter had Giles playing for them.

What is the opinion of those who followed Albion at that time? Would Howe's Albion have been promoted had Giles been in that team?
I actually stopped going when Don Howe was in charge. He made Pulis look good.
(12-04-2020, 03:58 PM)baggie_ray Wrote: Thought I'd bump this as we are closer to the date.

Also, I am sure Don Howe has been quoted as saying the only difference between his Albion team and Giles' Albion team was that the latter had Giles playing for them.

What is the opinionĀ  of those who followed Albion at that time? Would Howe's Albion have been promoted had Giles been in that team?

No. He was simply too defensive. Some have argued that he built defensive solidity that Giles and Atkinson later built on. But his side was dour. Bomber Brown nearly left when he was in charge.
My old man said he was a brilliant footballer for Albion in the 50s/early 60s though. Played at Albion with Bobby Robson who he became big mates with.
4th January 1964 we were drawing 2-2 with Blackpool at home in the FA Cup 3rd round on a snow covered pitch. We got a penalty I think it was in extra time. Howe grabbed the ball to take it, at the BRE. Bearing in mind he only scored a dozen or so goals for us in over 300 appearances, this was a bit optimistic. His shot was a bit high, and rumour has it that they found the ball on the roof of the bakery over the road.

We won the replay four days later. So much for losing a game on a cold January night in Blackpool.

We lost the next FA cup game at Highbury three weeks later. Shortly after Howe left for Arsenal.

Two years later he broke his leg playing for Arsenal against Blackpool and that effectively ended his playing career.

John Osborne used to tell a story about how Howe, frustrated with not being able to motivate the players as manager, walked into the dressing room before a game, and threw 11 shirts on the floor. He told the players to pick their own team, and walked out.

The players did so, and won the match 4-0.

As a player he was possibly the best right back I have ever seen at the club. As a manager he was a nightmare. I remember his first TV interview where he explained how he was going to organise the defence. Me and a couple of mates looked at each other. We did not have a clue what the fuck he was on about. As subsequent results suggest, neither did the players.
Footage from that Norwich game at
https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watc...975-online