Boris needs to be held to account.
The virus is a simple entity with one function to infect as many hosts as possible. It can do nothing else. It is short lived so deprive it the opportunity to spread and it dies very quickly. It isn't hard to understand. It's spread by ignoring this, not by phone masts or any other social media bollox method. I think initially we opted for herd immunisation then realised the NHS wouldn't cope so ditched it for a swerve it method. If there was a chance someone had lice or crabs you wouldn't go near them. This is no different.
(08-14-2020, 09:39 AM)Fido Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 09:31 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Wankers who can't understand wear a mask, wash your hands regularly and stay 2 metres from others are the real culprits. No governing body would get through to these fucktards with any realistic rules. Sadly it's the fault of the modern selfish human race. I'm sure the OP was aiming at these people.

There have been mistakes made, of course. Whether severity was not quantified to a high enough level, whether lockdown happened too late etc. Some of this we know only because of 20/20 vision in hindsight. I don't think anyone is trying to find excuses for a seeming lack of governmental strategy at some levels or various examples of incompetence/negligence. However, a lot of people are getting worn down by the constant fuggin moaning from those who think governments should be there to tell everyone where to stand, what to do every minute of the day and wipe their own arses for them.

The thing is though Fido, the Government can’t hide behind the “with hindsight” excuse as they, and us could all see what was happening in Italy and Spain.  Measures that should have been implemented sooner include
Social distancing
Instruct employers that if their employees can work from home, they must
Instruct train and tube companies not to reduce number of trains when demand drops
Maybe the Government would have got a better response if they had been honest from the start instead of screwing around with the figures. It was obvious to me that from the events in Italy and Spain what was likely to happen here especially since our lockdown was not as strict as those countries. Yet amazingly we never 'reported' more than the headline making 1000 deaths a day at any point in the crisis. Now months later we know that we went well over that figure in early April but the MSM don't shout about that. So instead we have hundreds of historic deaths gradually added to the daily totals totally distorting the current situation with the virus and spreading fear and panic amongst half the population who rely on MSM for all of their information.
(08-14-2020, 09:44 AM)Fido Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 07:41 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(08-14-2020, 07:38 AM)Colmanspig_ Wrote: Yep The op is funny, but the idea that you can conflate Boris’s truly shite response to Covid to The Weather is bogus.

+1 The implication that there's nothing they could've done about Covid like there's nothing they can do about the weather is letting them off the hook massively.

But is it? The virus can't be stopped without a vaccine in the short term. It's all about mitigation at this stage and there are many conflicting views on the best options AND keep the economy running. If we had heatwave after heatwave should the government be buying up fans for everyone to cool down?  I'd imagine there are more heat-related deaths this year given the temperatures. They (the UK govt) can only affect climate change to such a minimal extent given you have countries like China and US who pumping out 10,000x the shite we do on a daily basis.

Being a critic is the easiest job in the world and now with social media everyone in the world wants to be one. It grates, that's all.

We've have one of the worst death rates in the world using both ONS data and comparing against excess deaths and are in the second worst recession in Europe behind only Spain (just) and they locked down so hard children weren't allowed to leave their houses. Neither deaths nor the economy has been prioritised, the only good thing that's happened has been an entirely unsustainable furlough scheme.

When people are criticising Boris Johnson, it's because empirically in the only two metrics that matter we as a country have handled this crisis like shit despite having warnings from Italy that weren't acted upon and being a bloody island. The criticism over this government's handling Sunak and the Treasury aside is more than fair, the only criticism that hasn't been proportionate has been the deluded Scots thinking Nicola Sturgeon has done a good job despite Scotland's response being dogshit.

Regarding climate change, it's going to have a significant impact on people's lives over the short, medium and long term. Sustained climate change in the Middle East is already linked to the shitstorm in Syria, even in the UK extreme weather events have become more commonplace. Forgive people for being a bit tetchy over it, they'd do so no matter whom was leader. And the US have been getting, rightly might I add, pelters over their inaction over the issue moreso than any British Prime Minister ever had and the entire world is too shit scared to say anything to China about anything hence the mistreatment of the Uighurs and erosion of HK sovereignty going largely ignored.
fucks sake! well it made me titter Cornish so thanks for the laugh  Big Grin
I think the opening post is more a statement of the journalism from BBC News, the Daily Mail, Sky News, The Times and even the Telegraph.

All of life's problems, which the generation that is currently in rapid demise, would have dealt with themselves, are now the government's fault.

The inability of individuals to take responsibility for themselves and for their families is pitiful. Evidence? Bournemouth beach last weekend.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley, who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries. BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK, what are the government doing about it? We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?

There is also a post Brexit hangover, where the educated "left" - Matthew Parris, Rachel Sylvester and Jenni Russell, who all write columns for the Times, are vitriolic about Boris Johnson, and anything he does or doesn't do. They see it as their mission to keep trying to educate those who voted leave, with their arrogant scorn and patronising pity, and peddle the myth that the great unwashed simply didn't understand.

That cunt James O'Brien on LBC is beyond belief when it comes to explaining why 17 million people are idiots. Their anger at losing the Brexit vote has now spilled into blaming Boris Johnson for Covid-19. He shut the schools down to early, or too late, or shut the wrong ones down, or the lock down was too late or too early or too harsh or too soft. And coming out of it is too soon, or too late, or the wrong sectors are open, or closed, or it needs more money, or too much money was wasted. And having closed the country down, Keir Starmer is asking why we have a recession and what are the government doing about it? They have clearly failed and this needs an enquiry.

Note there are few solutions offered by either opposition parties, or the parasitic opinion column writers who know what should have been done, and when, and how, but only in hindsight. They are another cesspit of negativity. A real job would kill them.

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago. I genuinely feel a lot better for it. I now watch CNN News. They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump. It is unmissable.

I voted to remain by the way.
Looks like Cornish got that right wing cobblers from Gransnet.

https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/128...lame-Boris
(08-14-2020, 11:39 AM)Offside Wrote: I think the opening post is more a statement of the journalism from BBC News, the Daily Mail, Sky News,  The Times and even the Telegraph.

All of life's problems, which the generation that is currently in rapid demise, would have dealt with themselves, are now the government's fault.

The inability of individuals to take responsibility for themselves and for their families is pitiful.  Evidence?  Bournemouth beach last weekend.

Every problem is the fault of the government. This presumption is fostered by the need of 24 hour news channels to fill their time with the devastating problems of Sharon from Shipley,  who is too fucking fat to get out of bed, but luckily the local McDonalds do deliveries.  BBC News in particular will go out of their way to find a negative to a positive story "in the interest of balance". Meanwhile Sharon will at some time in the future need to be removed from her bed by a crane, and on her demise from chronic diabetes, and will be buried in skip due to the constraints of the oven door at the crematorium. There are thousands of Sharons in the UK,  what are the government doing about it?  We need to know. Why are these people allowed to kill themselves. Is Cummings to blame?  

There is also a post Brexit hangover, where the educated "left"  - Matthew Parris,  Rachel Sylvester and Jenni Russell, who all write columns for the Times,  are vitriolic about Boris Johnson,  and anything he does or doesn't do.  They see it as their mission to keep trying to educate those who voted leave, with their arrogant scorn and patronising pity, and peddle the myth that the great unwashed simply didn't understand.  

That cunt James O'Brien on LBC is beyond belief when it comes to explaining why 17 million people are idiots. Their anger at losing the Brexit vote has now spilled into blaming Boris Johnson for Covid-19.  He shut the schools down to early, or too late,  or shut the wrong ones down, or the lock down was too late or too early or too harsh or too soft. And coming out of it is too soon,  or too late, or the wrong sectors are open, or closed, or it needs more money, or too much money was wasted. And having closed the country down,  Keir Starmer is asking why we have a recession and what are the government doing about it?  They have clearly failed and this needs an enquiry.  

Note there are few solutions offered by either opposition parties, or the parasitic opinion column writers who know what should have been done, and when,  and how, but only in hindsight.  They are another cesspit of negativity. A real job would kill them.

I made a conscious decision not to watch Sky news or BBC news about six weeks ago.  I genuinely feel a lot better for it.  I know watch CNN News.  They have a brilliant comedy programme on every evening, known as the White House press conference, starring Donald Trump.  It is unmissable.  

I voted to remain by the way.

Great post.

You often have a news team asking the thoughts of Joe Smoke in one high street or another and would receive a reply such as:

“Something needs to be done”

It was crying out for the interviewer to ask:

“What would you do in their position?”

Only if you get a valid, thought out reply does that become a valid opinion.

“What they are doing is wrong” is not.
That Mint Feast could have fed thousands but no, let's use it as a symbol, say the moronic protesters.

I despair at times.
(08-13-2020, 06:45 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: T
H
E

E
A
R
T
H

I
S

F L A T.