Whisky Club
I've met Jim a few times.

His books are great, very relaxing when you get your head stuck into it. With a dram in hand...
(08-13-2020, 09:22 PM)Salter Spring Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 04:17 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Interesting that peaty numbers are the most popular considering they're a little more inaccessible to the newcomer. I'm into the sherried, fruity, almondy, christmas cake-y, rich expressions myself.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of these: https://www.htfw.com/drinks-by-the-dram-...asting-set  

Planning to do a couple of tasting sessions with some mates over video chat. Interested in the 57 North and Glenfarclas 105. I suspect the Brimstone will be too much smoke for me. Spice Tree sounds interesting and Laga is Laga.

If you haven’t already done so then do consider glenfarclas 15, or if feeling very flush a glendronach 18 for a very good sherried dram.

I've got a bottle of the Glenfarclas 15, lovely stuff!  Glendronach 15 Revival is next on my list for a purchase, though that'll have to be next month (more than 1 bottle a month gets me some cross looks...) I'd love the 18 or the 21 Parliament but they're a little too pricey for me at the minute. Maybe for Christmas!
The first Glenfarclas I bought was about 25 years ago in a shop in Aviemore. It was labelled as a Christmas malt but was surprisingly good. It's good quality stuff and one of the non peats I look out for.
(08-14-2020, 06:43 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: I've met Jim a few times.

His books are great, very relaxing when you get your head stuck into it. With a dram in hand...

Agreed, usually the best read of the year!
(08-14-2020, 07:42 AM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 09:22 PM)Salter Spring Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 04:17 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Interesting that peaty numbers are the most popular considering they're a little more inaccessible to the newcomer. I'm into the sherried, fruity, almondy, christmas cake-y, rich expressions myself.

Just pulled the trigger on a set of these: https://www.htfw.com/drinks-by-the-dram-...asting-set  

Planning to do a couple of tasting sessions with some mates over video chat. Interested in the 57 North and Glenfarclas 105. I suspect the Brimstone will be too much smoke for me. Spice Tree sounds interesting and Laga is Laga.

If you haven’t already done so then do consider glenfarclas 15, or if feeling very flush a glendronach 18 for a very good sherried dram.

I've got a bottle of the Glenfarclas 15, lovely stuff!  Glendronach 15 Revival is next on my list for a purchase, though that'll have to be next month (more than 1 bottle a month gets me some cross looks...) I'd love the 18 or the 21 Parliament but they're a little too pricey for me at the minute. Maybe for Christmas!

The glendronach 18 is fantastic stuff although see it’s gone up in price since i had one bought as a wedding present from work colleagues (they chose well). I’ve had the revival and enjoyed it but never had the original 15 year old to compare as I notice in reviews some folk see it as inferior to the original.

Nichols and perks in Stourbridge had an exclusive single cask 60% 11 year old glendronach a year or so ago which was very good indeed, never bought one but they treated me to a sample in store 

As mentioned already, if you haven’t tried already and want something still quite sweet but with a little smoke added to the mix the the Springbank 15 is very good.
Hmph well I ordered a tasting set so I could do a video chat tasting session with some mates but they retailer cancelled my order without telling me! My mates all got their set but I didn't.

In lieu of a refund I'm having 6x50cl miniatures instead. Gone for:

Glenallachie 12
Laphroaig 10 (not a islay man at all and hated this last time I had it - giving it another go)
Glendronach 12 (they didn't have the 15 in miniature but this will be a intro to the profile)
GlenFarclas 105
Tomatin 14 (wanted to try a port wood finished whisky)
Arran 14 (had the 10 and enjoyed it, though not blown away)

Anyone got any experience of these. The Glenallachie was ralfy.com whisky of the year in 2019 so I've got high hopes (although I think ralfy can talk a lot of shite sometimes).
Yes.

Laphroaig a favourite of mine. Light Listerine taste. I like all of them apart from the Select bottling.

Glenfarclas, see a few posts back!

Arran. A fine island distillery that churns out a variety of quality stuff.

Tomatin. Late 80s my parents took my car for a tour of Scotland. They visited a few distilleries and preferred the malt at the Tomatin Distillery just south of Inverness. They brought a bottle back and, having had a meal to celebrate my 21st birthday at Jonathan's Restaurant (by the Warley Odeon) we opened it to round off the night.

A good all rounder.

PS...

Sláinte!
Nice, I'm looking forward to having a few little tasting sessions. As I say , I've had the Arran 10 and Glenfarclas 15 before so know the distillery profiles a little. Looking forward to a good 60% sherry bomb in the 105! Put some hairs on the chest

I'm trying to go into the Laphroaig with an open mind rather than just thinking of TCP...
(08-28-2020, 05:20 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: Nice, I'm looking forward to having a few little tasting sessions. As I say , I've had the Arran 10 and Glenfarclas 15 before so know the distillery profiles a little. Looking forward to a good 60% sherry bomb in the 105! Put some hairs on the chest

I'm trying to go into the Laphroaig with an open mind rather than just thinking of TCP...

Can’t go wrong with the laphroaig 10, one of the barometers against which all other Islays will be measured (and lagavulin 16 which is in my top 5 of any whisky).

Have tried and enjoyed both the arran 14 and glenfarclas 105, not tried the other 3 however have had others from those distilleries and not been disappointed.  Enjoy.
I love the Islay stuff but is that Laphroaig the REALLY smokey one? I did a Burns night thing a few years ago and no one else liked it so I drank the rest of the bottle. Not a great idea as it turned out.