Whisky Club
Smoky Islay malts for me, but I will drink pretty much anything. Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Laphroaig are usually lurking in the booze cabin. Recently gone a bit Oirish with Yellow Spot and Powers John's Lane. Big shout for the English Whisky place near Norwich. Well into Bourbon as well. Buffalo Trace won't let you down. Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig offer some very tasty numbers.
(08-11-2020, 05:04 PM)Tokyo Baggie Wrote: Used to always keep a bottle or two in the house, and preferred peated single malts such as Port Charlotte, Caol Ila etc...
Got in the habit of drinking a couple of glasses every night, and eventually stopped buying because it was getting a bit expensive!

Caol Ila is, along with Laphroaig, one of the two whiskey's I'll go out and say I can't stand. Taste like TCP to me! I'd be willing to give them another go with a more advanced palate maybe....

I'm also in the dram or two a night club, though will need to keep that to 2 or 3 nights a week I think. If my GF goes to bed then 1 dram can turn into 4 far too easily!
(08-11-2020, 05:24 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote:
(08-11-2020, 04:46 PM)igorbalis Wrote: Springbank 15year old with plenty of ice.

One thing I'll never understand is ice in whisky. Kills off so much of the aroma and flavour. Surely if you want a cold drink there are better options?

I don’t mind ice but it’s a personal preference. Did some work with Amazon and their whisky tasting packages recently, had 3 whisky and an online tutorial about how to taste and mix with water and taste again which was decent, and the whisky was pretty banging as well.
In the form of his life.
A drop or two of water can open up a lot of the flavour but Ice is a different story. Cools it too much and over dilutes removing much of the character. You wouldn't buy a pint then dump a tumbler of ice water into it. I know I know its "the best way to drink it is how you like it" but I really can't get my head around it.
I drink Irish Whiskey straight but Scottish Whisky I wouldn’t drink without a little water. Ice is for Gin and tonics
(08-11-2020, 06:01 PM)BasingBaggie Wrote: I drink Irish Whiskey straight but Scottish Whisky I wouldn’t drink without a little water. Ice is for Gin and tonics

Soft water ice or hard water ice?  Big Grin

No ice for me. No water even. Just a nice dram of Talisker on a winter's evening is just fine.
Ice for bourbon, water or neat otherwise.
In the form of his life.
Know nothing about bourbon. Can anyone recommend a decent bourbon for someone who's usually a sherried speyside man? It's usually cheaper than whisky so might pick up a bottle if I see one about.
Makers mark, bulleit, Woodford reserve, Canadian club all good.
In the form of his life.
I like Irish but also love Islay. I never mix it with anything but a glass of water next to your dram is fine and civilised enough.