Was that the worst promotion ever?
(07-23-2020, 02:28 PM)devonstroller Wrote: This is rather negatively framed isn't it?!! I think it's fair to say we limped over the line but that's not to say we're undeserving. Far from it - this is the best team we've had in years and the football is stylish and entertaining. I guess the overarching emotion at the point of promotion was relief,  but that doesn't make it the worst. It still hasn't sunk in for me, but elation is just round the corner. Boing Boing
I agree it is negatively framed, from me who wrote it, but it was a line someone else said in the past few hours, but that's words without full communication. It's slightly wry, just like there's no such thing as bad sex.
Anyway, hindsight will put it in perspective and I'm chuffed that my lad is beaming today. It's his first real Albion success he's experienced, and already talking about the players we might buy rather than who we might have to sell.
(07-23-2020, 01:48 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 01:18 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 12:20 PM)Fido Wrote: Everyone would prefer to win 4-3 after being 3-0 down; we just won 4-3 after being 4-0 up. One feels nicer, same result.
That's a good way of putting it.

To me its more like being 4-0 up, going 5-4 down then coming back to win 6-5!

Fuggin pedant  Wink
(07-23-2020, 09:38 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:13 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 08:57 AM)Dumbo Wrote: ‘The worst promotion ever’

‘How much work there is to do because our squad is so weak’

‘We stumbled over the line’

Jesus Christ. The players haven’t took their kits off yet and the promotion party is well over on here. Doh!

Look for what you want to see Dumbo, but just like holidays promotions are good and special moments, but some better than others.
We were put through it past few weeks so if we are feeling relief rather than unbridled joy then so be it.

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
First season break since the War
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
Pressure of resuming and holding on to our position.
Off the back of failing in the play offs
New manager

Considering all the mitigating factors, we’ve done exceptionally well to get promoted and I’d put it just behind our first one under Meggo.

I'm not denying we've done well but many of us feel relief rather than joy.
I think many of the players feel closer to how I do today rather than you. For instance Livermore seemed drained and a shade subdued.
My post is just comparing past Promotion achievements. Must admit I'd probably feel different if Robinson had stuck away that chance to make it 3-1.
Your facts are also reasons why some don't feel as joyous about the promotion as others.
We are all wired up differently.

WTF?
Please, I would love to see sources suggesting that "many of us feel relief rather than joy". Please provide some reliable statististics for this seeming opinion. For the the record, I'm feeling pretty damned happy that we got promoted.
Also, are you in contact with the players? Could you provide evidence for why you think the players "feel relief rather than joy", beyond that Livermore "seemed" whatever adjective you ascribed to him? It seems to me that your comment is purely speculation. I could easily state that Livermore "seemed" fucking ecstatic!
(07-23-2020, 02:43 PM)Tokyo Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 08:57 AM)Dumbo Wrote: ‘The worst promotion ever’

‘How much work there is to do because our squad is so weak’

‘We stumbled over the line’

Jesus Christ. The players haven’t took their kits off yet and the promotion party is well over on here. Doh!

Look for what you want to see Dumbo, but just like holidays promotions are good and special moments, but some better than others.
We were put through it past few weeks so if we are feeling relief rather than unbridled joy then so be it.

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
New manager

Considering all the mitigating factors, we’ve done exceptionally well to get promoted and I’d put it just behind our first one under Meggo.

I think many of the players feel closer to how I do today rather than you. For instance Livermore seemed drained and a shade subdued.
My post is just comparing past Promotion achievements. Must admit I'd probably feel different if Robinson had stuck away that chance to make it 3-1.
Your facts are also reasons why some don't feel as joyous about the promotion as others.

WTF?
Please, I would love to see sources suggesting that "many of us feel relief rather than joy". Please provide some reliable statististics for this seeming opinion. For the the record, I'm feeling pretty damned happy that we got promoted.
Also, are you in contact with the players? Could you provide evidence for why you think the players "feel relief rather than joy", beyond that Livermore "seemed" whatever adjective you ascribed to him? It seems to me that your comment is purely speculation. I could easily state that Livermore "seemed" fucking ecstatic!
It's subjective. Read some of the posts on this board. Some are hopping about like a dog with two tales, some just relieved. I know of five close Albion mates- only one said he's ecstatic. The other 4 said they are exhausted and relieved- they gave us a fright.
(07-23-2020, 02:46 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Look for what you want to see Dumbo, but just like holidays promotions are good and special moments, but some better than others.

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
New manager

WTF?
It's subjective. Read some of the posts on this board. Some are hopping about like a dog with two tales, some just relieved. I know of five close Albion mates- only one said he's ecstatic. The other 4 said they are exhausted and relieved- they gave us a fright.

Okay. And the players...?
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Seen a whole new side to Leeds fans this season. Never took to them in the past (tearing our ground apart in 1982 didn't help). But this season there had been a real camaraderie. Fans I know were really keen for the pair of us to go up. They saw us as a genuine decent sized club with a proud history as opposed to Brentford who they viewed as upstarts.

CIM you need to live in the middle of it. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' comes to mind. I agree there has been camaraderie in the main, but I also knew if they started to fall apart or could fortune from our misfortune it'd turn. 

Frankly on Friday night it did and all my mates were giving it the big one...
...I wouldn't have and most on here wouldn't. They are a certain breed, not all, but most. Every club has a minority of dickheads, they have a majority.

I have heard 'back where we belong' more times this week than in my lifetime. They've been out the top flight for 17years, they don't belong anywhere - the premier is earned. Alas, not if your of LUFC mentality.
(07-23-2020, 02:48 PM)Tokyo Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:13 AM)Dumbo Wrote: What about the facts?

Longest season ever
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
New manager

WTF?

Livermore was hardly fist pumping- he was emotionally exhausted. The body language was one of phew rather than unbridled joy.
Maybe, if we'd won on the night it might have been different.  
I've seen enough Albion celebrations to know that this one felt different, and not just because of the virus. It's my opinion, and others too, but anyway, we got there and this is just a footnote as we chew the fat on what has been a successful season.
(07-23-2020, 02:50 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Seen a whole new side to Leeds fans this season. Never took to them in the past (tearing our ground apart in 1982 didn't help). But this season there had been a real camaraderie. Fans I know were really keen for the pair of us to go up. They saw us as a genuine decent sized club with a proud history as opposed to Brentford who they viewed as upstarts.

CIM you need to live in the middle of it. The phrase 'sing when you're winning' comes to mind. I agree there has been camaraderie in the main, but I also knew if they started to fall apart or could fortune from our misfortune it'd turn. 

Frankly on Friday night it did and all my mates were giving it the big one...
...I wouldn't have and most on here wouldn't. They are a certain breed, not all, but most. Every club has a minority of dickheads, they have a majority.

I have heard 'back where we belong' more times this week than in my lifetime. They've been out the top flight for 17years, they don't belong anywhere - the premier is earned. Alas, not if your of LUFC mentality.

I've posted many times that I've got split Leeds-Albion loyalties with my kids living up here for 30 years and so have had the singular misfortune of having been to Elland Road more times than anywhere else othe than the Hawthorns.   Confirming BB's principal point, though I have a few Leeds mates (and 2 sons)  I am genuinely pleased for, the vast, overriding majority are complete bellends-always have been (remember our first game back up there in 76 ?) and always will be.  What's more, they know it and revel in it.   I'd make the additional point that outside their 18k hardcore they're a bunch of bandwagon-jumping fickle fuckers.    No co-incidence that they had to close their top tier as well for years.   They're historically a second divison club for whom Revie performed a miracle, and they even managed to fuck that up the second he left.
I think some of you need to cut down on your Radiohead intake ffs. We just got promoted. Enjoy it. Perpetual misery cycle for some. WE DID IT!!!
(07-23-2020, 02:59 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 02:48 PM)Tokyo Baggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:38 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: I'm not denying we've done well but many of us feel relief rather than joy.

WTF?

Livermore was hardly fist pumping- he was emotionally exhausted. The body language was one of phew rather than unbridled joy.
Maybe, if we'd won on the night it might have been different.  
I've seen enough Albion celebrations to know that this one felt different, and not just because of the virus. It's my opinion, and others too, but anyway, we got there and this is just a footnote as we chew the fat on what has been a successful season.

Okay.
Bartley, Robinson, and Phillips seemed pretty fucking happy. This video must have missed Livermore crying in corner, moaning about how this promotion didn't feel worthwhile! 
https://www.facebook.com/westbromwichalb...6152429393
Angel