Was that the worst promotion ever?
(07-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 08:57 AM)Dumbo Wrote: ‘The worst promotion ever’

‘How much work there is to do because our squad is so weak’

‘We stumbled over the line’

Jesus Christ. The players haven’t took their kits off yet and the promotion party is well over on here. Doh!

Look for what you want to see Dumbo, but just like holidays promotions are good and special moments, but some better than others.
We were put through it past few weeks so if we are feeling relief rather than unbridled joy then so be it.

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
First season break since the War
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
Pressure of resuming and holding on to our position.
Off the back of failing in the play offs
New manager

Considering all the mitigating factors, we’ve done exceptionally well to get promoted and I’d put it just behind our first one under Meggo.
Captain Buzzkill over here...
We've played great football, scored plenty of goals and won on the final day in a promotion race with many twist and turns.

03/04 I think Megsons football was wearing thin at this time so even though we went up, some of the football was hard to watch.
(07-23-2020, 09:13 AM)Dumbo Wrote:

Jesus Christ. The players haven’t took their kits off yet and the promotion party is well over on here. Doh!

Look for what you want to see Dumbo, but just like holidays promotions are good and special moments, but some better than others.
We were put through it past few weeks so if we are feeling relief rather than unbridled joy then so be it.

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
New manager

Considering all the mitigating factors, we’ve done exceptionally well to get promoted and I’d put it just behind our first one under Meggo.

I'm not denying we've done well but many of us feel relief rather than joy.
I think many of the players feel closer to how I do today rather than you. For instance Livermore seemed drained and a shade subdued.
My post is just comparing past Promotion achievements. Must admit I'd probably feel different if Robinson had stuck away that chance to make it 3-1.
Your facts are also reasons why some don't feel as joyous about the promotion as others.
We are all wired up differently.
(07-23-2020, 09:38 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 09:13 AM)Dumbo Wrote:

What about the facts?

Longest season ever
No fans in the stadium
Global pandemic 
New manager

I'm not denying we've done well but many of us feel relief rather than joy.
I think many of the players feel closer to how I do today rather than you. For instance Livermore seemed drained and a shade subdued.
My post is just comparing past Promotion achievements. Must admit I'd probably feel different if Robinson had stuck away that chance to make it 3-1.
Your facts are also reasons why some don't feel as joyous about the promotion as others.
We are all wired up differently.

Subdued?

I think that's nearly 12 months of emotion spilling out.

I literally wonder whether you actually support West Bromwich Albion sometimes. 

Hopefully the theatres are back open soon so you can avoid watching us and wank over shakespeare's beard instead.
Certainly the strangest one but if you look at it, top two since September,then a long pause before starting again with no crowds but still trying to stay in top two, the extra pressure of Brentford’s winning run then enormous pressure of having to win the last game and all that was hanging on that. 
It’s really no wonder we’ve been below our high standards of play and I salute all involved in our promotion season!
In terms of enjoyment the 2004 promotion might not have been great. but in terms of managerial input it was easily the best.

The things that Megson had to contend with that season and we still got over the line with 4 games to go was impressive.

The thing that worries me with this season is the stark difference between results and performances in the first half of the season and the second half of the season, and if the better half had been the second i wouldn't have an issue, but there is no doubt we have gone backwards since Xmas and there is no way to dress that up as anything other than a sizeable problem.

I have watched more of us this season than i have for many a long time, and there is no doubt we were very, very good up until Christmas and there have been glimpses of that since Xmas -Millwall away was for me the most complete performance of the season. So i have enjoyed this season overall and there is no doubt we are deserving of promotion - if you finish in the top 2 it is because that's where you deserve to finish.
(07-23-2020, 08:39 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: 2nd best after 02. Last night reminded me of The Great Escape Pompey game. What a shame we weren't there to celebrate with the players.

We've had 5 (count them, 5) promotions to the top flight.

Like Jacko last night reminded me of the Great Escape. Such a shame we couldn't share it with the team  Sad
(07-23-2020, 10:37 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-23-2020, 08:39 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: 2nd best after 02. Last night reminded me of The Great Escape Pompey game. What a shame we weren't there to celebrate with the players.

We've had 5 (count them, 5) promotions to the top flight.

Like Jacko last night reminded me of the Great Escape. Such a shame we couldn't share it with the team  Sad

+1 - A nail biter to the finish and I was convinced Brentford would get a winner.
Biggest cheer in the pub was when it cut to the Brentford game, we all thought they had scored - but then!!!  Big Grin
I remember earlier in the season gasping in delight at some of our play, thinking I wish this would never end, fuggin' 'ell at times it felt like it wouldn't with the way things have gone.

Relief, delight, joy, and a banging headache, it's all been worth it. Now if we can get a general in place and a scorer then we should be ok.

At times this has been my most enjoyable season, at times this has been my most depressing season and at times this has been the most mentally draining season ever. I guess you shouldn't really ask for more? It's what football used to be about, just not usually in the same season!