Kenny sansom
Ron Greenwood did Albion's English players no favours in his time as England manager. It took an Evening Mail petition to make him pick Robson. He was never going to pick Statham.
(05-16-2020, 05:46 PM)throstle Wrote: Ron Greenwood did Albion's English players no favours in his time as England manager. It took an Evening Mail petition to make him pick Robson. He was never going to pick Statham.
Is absolutely correct. TBF, how Greenwood ever got the job is as much of a mystery.
Sadly Robson's career only blossomed at international level when he played for Manure.

At the time we all knew he was an exceptional player but the establishment only recognised players from London and the North West with a few exceptions
(05-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:46 PM)throstle Wrote: Ron Greenwood did Albion's English players no favours in his time as England manager. It took an Evening Mail petition to make him pick Robson. He was never going to pick Statham.
Is absolutely correct. TBF, how Greenwood ever got the job is as much of a mystery.

I think the fact that he managed West Ham might have had something to do with it.
From memory didn't the FA interview Sir Bobby, McMenamy and Cloughy but appointed Greenwood (without interviewing him)?
(05-16-2020, 05:54 PM)Albionmad Wrote: Sadly Robson's career only blossomed at international level when he played for Manure.

At the time we all knew he was an exceptional player but the establishment only recognised players from London and the North West with a few exceptions

It still happens now. There is a midfielder at Villa who is uncapped, but could walk into a Champions LeGue team.
Remember when Sansom was out injured and Statham was the obvious replacement ..... only for Greenwood to select the 34 year old has been, Billy Bonds.
Didn't Statham tend to pick up injuries at unfortunate times as far as his England career was concerned? I'm not saying there was no anti-Albion bias. God knows I've seen it s fair few times with some of our players.

I was always a massive fan of his, strangely after watching a number of brilliant performances against us - I was there when he twatted in a 25 yarder on one of his first appearances for the Albion (might have been his debut), and always thought he should have had loads of caps.
(05-16-2020, 05:45 PM)Ossian Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:21 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:13 PM)Albionmad Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:05 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: Samsom was a very good left back. Statham was an outstanding player though and a level above. One won 80 caps. The other just a handful

8 I think. I bet he wishes he was right footed.

Yes. Although IIRC, Phil Neal was England's right back and nothing special. Batson or  John Gidman both would have been worth a shout.

I always thought Kenny Swain was also a better full-back than Phil Neal.

Mick Mills and Neal were the contenders. Bobby Robson would of known MM from his Ipswich days
(05-16-2020, 08:37 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Didn't Statham tend to pick up injuries at unfortunate times as far as his England career was concerned? I'm not saying there was no anti-Albion bias. God knows I've seen it s fair few times with some of our players.

I was always a massive fan of his, strangely after watching a number of brilliant performances against us - I was there when he twatted in a 25 yarder on one of his first appearances for the Albion (might have been his debut), and always thought he should have had loads of caps.
Is true. Sansom had the shirt (wrongly), but when he got injured, so did Statham.

(05-16-2020, 06:54 PM)GMBaggie Wrote:
(05-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:

I think the fact that he managed West Ham might have had something to do with it.
Yes, he managed to get a team with 3 world cup winners and the best youth set up at the time to finish just above the relegation zone for 10 years running. Fact is, he was a Yes man, the alternatives at the time were all strong minded managers that would actually have improved England.