Ins/Outs - what’s realistic.
If we start the season with the same midfield that was constantly overrun last season will be lucky to make the playoffs

A combo of Li ermore, Brunt, Barry and Hair does not work
Based on some of these ‘realistic’ squad numbers etc then I’d say we’d better hope that injuries and suspensions are beyond kind to us. If Barry re-signs then we must be playing 3 in the middle, he’s not capable of playing in a 4 man midfield.

Who will be 3rd choice striker? We can’t go another season with no options.
(07-15-2019, 05:14 PM)CA Baggie Wrote: Based on some of these ‘realistic’  squad numbers etc then I’d say we’d better hope that injuries and suspensions are beyond kind to us.  If Barry re-signs then we must be playing 3 in the middle, he’s not capable of playing in a 4 man midfield.

Who will be 3rd choice striker?  We can’t go another season with no options.

3rd choice? We don't have a 1st & 2nd choice yet
We were at least one striker short last season, now we've lost 2 more. It's the hardest position to fill, the club seriously need to get real.
(07-15-2019, 10:13 AM)Lightnin Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:04 AM)Squid Wrote: Two strikers, a right back and another midfielder.

Two of those will be purchases, one loan.

I don't think we've seen the last of Gareth Barry either.

Agree with that but think we need another centre back too. If we could perhaps get someone like Holgate again though that can play both centre back and right back (not at the same time obviously) then that might be a better option.

We are certainly trying to address the goals that we need to replace as the most urgent matter. What urgent means to us though could be mid August!

When Rogers completes his City move, wonder if they'd loan him back to us?

I initially thought not but given that whichever way you look at it we have sold him it's a possibility as he wouldn't be anywhere near their team or even squad.
(07-15-2019, 09:31 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Last season our squad was too big. We had a reliance on loan players and some of the older members of the squad were preventing younger players getting the opportunities they needed.

Since the end of last season we’ve seen leave/arrive;

Myhill
Dawson  - O’Shea
Tosin
Holgate  - Nyom
Mears
Barry      - Field? 
Morrison  - Krovinovic
Hoolahan
Johansen
Murphy    - Burke
Montero   - Edwards 
Rodriguez
Gayle 

Given the limited games Hoolahan and Mears played, and that the sum of Montero and Murphy’s contributions can be matched by Edwards/Burke I don’t see anywhere near as many arrivals as people expect. Bond and SJ are both comfortable at this level so expect Palmer to feature at no.3.

Realistically, if Field, Burke, Edwards and O’Shea get proper game time, we only really need to replace Johansen, Gayle, JRod, Holgate and Tosin... and then any further departures. 

5 players of quality, one at RB, CB, MC, and 2 up top should do it, though I wouldn’t be surprised if we go with what we have at MC... Field, Harper, Livermore, Krovinovic. Phillips is hardly a poor set of options at this level.

Doesn't look quite so bad the way you've set it out SW.  I would have O'Shea maybe in the Tosin position.  Oxford could be the Dawson replacement.  Harper who seems a bonus staying,  for Johansen.   Barry will probably stay to add a bit of experience in the camp.  

I'll probably get shot down in flames but I would have kept Mears who never put a foot wrong when called on. I expect he'll rock up at Donny.  Big Dave incidentally has signed a cracking little winger from Rangers, bit of a coup that and a surprise given he upset GerrARD.  

I hope Nyom goes as he doesn't seem to want to be here.  Fully on board he would be OK. 

Two strikers is the priority and I would love us to sign a proper winger - Nguette?   I'm struggling though for a replacement for J Rod as he's so versatile.  Assombalonga is available and maybe Vydra?  

It's getting the balance right between hopefully integrating the likes of Field, Burke, Leko and Edwards and not blocking their path. Some of the signings mentioned recently would surely do just that - Chalobah, Bielik and Bayliss from Cov (and Nguette)?     

I'm really hoping we're going to pull something unexpected off - like find a Pete or Zoltan.
...............Johnstone...…………..
New RB, Bartley, Hegazi, Gibbs
…….....Livermore, Harper...…...
..Phillips, Krovinovic, Pereria….
……………...Zohore……………….
(07-17-2019, 12:45 PM)Dumbo Wrote: ...............Johnstone...…………..
New RB, Bartley, Hegazi, Gibbs
…….....Livermore, Harper...…...
..Phillips, Krovinovic, Pereria….
……………...Zohore……………….

We've got a list of right backs should Nyom leave and I think we need cover there too. We were keen on David Sesay from Crawley but not sure if its still the case. I'll have to check Athers list of targets to confirm he's one that we're still after.
I've edited yer list with Zohore SW4.

Now let's get filling in some more of those blanks!
Reading up on the Lisbon winger that Wilson says we've enquired about. He looks a player. Was in a relegated team in the Bundesliga last year but was head and shoulders their best player and was up for Bundesliga young player of the season.