Ins/Outs - what’s realistic.
Last season our squad was too big. We had a reliance on loan players and some of the older members of the squad were preventing younger players getting the opportunities they needed.

Since the end of last season we’ve seen leave/arrive;

Myhill
Dawson  - O’Shea
Tosin
Holgate  - Nyom
Mears
Barry      - Field? 
Morrison  - Krovinovic
Hoolahan
Johansen
Murphy    - Burke
Montero   - Edwards 
Rodriguez - Zohore
Gayle 

Given the limited games Hoolahan and Mears played, and that the sum of Montero and Murphy’s contributions can be matched by Edwards/Burke I don’t see anywhere near as many arrivals as people expect. Bond and SJ are both comfortable at this level so expect Palmer to feature at no.3.

Realistically, if Field, Burke, Edwards and O’Shea get proper game time, we only really need to replace Johansen, Gayle, JRod, Holgate and Tosin... and then any further departures. 

5 players of quality, one at RB, CB, MC, and 2 up top should do it, though I wouldn’t be surprised if we go with what we have at MC... Field, Harper, Livermore, Krovinovic. Phillips is hardly a poor set of options at this level.
2 strikers a must before the start but 5or 6 with the potential to go straight in the team would be my target .
Two strikers, a right back and another midfielder.

Two of those will be purchases, one loan.

I don't think we've seen the last of Gareth Barry either.
(07-15-2019, 10:04 AM)Squid Wrote: Two strikers, a right back and another midfielder.

Agree with that but think we need another centre back too. If we could perhaps get someone like Holgate again though that can play both centre back and right back (not at the same time obviously) then that might be a better option.

We are certainly trying to address the goals that we need to replace as the most urgent matter. What urgent means to us though could be mid August!

When Rogers completes his City move, wonder if they'd loan him back to us?
(07-15-2019, 10:13 AM)Lightnin Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:04 AM)Squid Wrote: Two strikers, a right back and another midfielder.

Agree with that but think we need another centre back too. If we could perhaps get someone like Holgate again though that can play both centre back and right back (not at the same time obviously) then that might be a better option.

We are certainly trying to address the goals that we need to replace as the most urgent matter. What urgent means to us though could be mid August!

Holgate back again would be ideal, and would give us flexiblity to play 3 or 4 at the back, with Phillips RWB.

I'm still convinced there is a deal to be done with Rondon/Gayle, even if it means we have to take a bit of a hit on the Rondon fee in return for a loan of Gayle and say Colback.

Not sure Rodgers is anywhere near ready to be relied on to replace JRod or Gayle. Loan players should be the bigger wages, and not used on anyone who can't make an immediate impact IMO.

Think you may be right on Barry, though he's the last thing we need for MC.

The fact he doesn't seem to be linked with anyone else makes me think he'll end up back here soon.
(07-15-2019, 10:20 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Holgate back again would be ideal, and would give us flexiblity to play 3 or 4 at the back, with Phillips RWB.

I'm still convinced there is a deal to be done with Rondon/Gayle, even if it means we have to take a bit of a hit on the Rondon fee in return for a loan of Gayle and say Colback.

Not sure Rodgers is anywhere near ready to be relied on to replace JRod or Gayle. Loan players should be the bigger wages, and not used on anyone who can't make an immediate impact IMO.

The fact he doesn't seem to be linked with anyone else makes me think he'll end up back here soon.

If I were the increasingly unpopular Dowling, I'd be tempted to claim I'd found some money down the back of the sofa to bring Gayle back, especially if Gayle wants to come back anyway.

Barry would be fine with young, quick legs around him and very careful management.
We defo need a first choice right back. If we got one I’d get Mears back in on his low wages.I think Wilson needs to get out to a better standard loan and prove himself before he’s ready to be thrown in.
DAVE BOWLER?
We need at least a right back, a centre back and two forwards. That is bare minimum and all have to be good enough to go straight into the team as starters. 

What else we need depends on how Slaven wants to play.
(07-15-2019, 10:20 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

He apparently never left. On the E&D podcast today, Barry is back on grass and doing all his rehab at Albion. Matt Wilson reckons he'll get a new deal.