Gordon Banks
Sad day, RIP Gordon, a true legend.
(02-12-2019, 10:07 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote: On the news, I’ll guarantee that the save they’ll keep showing will be the one v Pelé, but for me, it doesn’t come close to the penalty save in the dying moments of the League Cup semi final v West Ham which kept us in the tie and ultimately allowed us to get to Wembley and lift the trophy. 

Hurst basically twats it and Banks said that he’d dived too far to his right and had to twist to get his arms to it. The speed of his reactions and the strength in his arms (those balls were heavy) are something else. 

RIP genuine Stoke and England legend.

wow, incredible save. 

I think you'll see quite a reaction in the to his passing in the next few days. Hard to think of an English player with a greater reputation around the world. Moore and Charlton deffo - but anyone else? I don't think so. I was too young to see him play but he always came across as a true gent after his retirement. 

RIP Gordon.
I never saw him play, I once met him at a charity event back in the 90's and he came across as such
a gentleman and humble guy, it was difficult to believe he was one of the greatest keepers ever.

RIP Gordon, my old man never raved about many footballers but you were one that he did rave about.
You will be forever remembered.
RIP Gordon. Vaguely remember as a six year old, his save from Pele. Remember seeing him on Match Of The Day, Star Soccer etc in the early 70`s. A great keeper.
(02-12-2019, 10:07 AM)Dreamkiller Wrote: On the news, I’ll guarantee that the save they’ll keep showing will be the one v Pelé, but for me, it doesn’t come close to the penalty save in the dying moments of the League Cup semi final v West Ham which kept us in the tie and ultimately allowed us to get to Wembley and lift the trophy. 

Hurst basically twats it and Banks said that he’d dived too far to his right and had to twist to get his arms to it. The speed of his reactions and the strength in his arms (those balls were heavy) are something else. 

RIP genuine Stoke and England legend.

Cheers for posting that DK. Amazing how small he looks in the goal compared to the keepers from this latest generation.

If you're feeling anything like I did when Big Cyrille passed away, then it's like one of your own family going. Strange what this game of football can make you feel. Thoughts with his immediate family and his wider football family who've lost a hero today.
RIP Gordon. A genuine footballing hero, humble man and a sporting colossus. The greatest keeper the game has known.
RIP Gordon Banks.
(02-12-2019, 11:44 AM)11amstart Wrote: RIP Gordon Banks.

+1 - an absolute legend

My fondest televised memory is probably that salmon-leap save against Brazil 1970 - unreal
RIP Gordon

Saw him defy us single handedly in the early 70's, never seen a better keeper
(02-12-2019, 12:34 PM)garryowensneck Wrote: RIP Gordon

Saw him defy us single handedly in the early 70's, never seen a better keeper

One of my treasured childhood possessions is an 'all time greats' football book. Banks is obviously in it, and I remember there was a quote from him saying there were certain clubs that always seemed to put a few past him. West Brom were one who he said had put four or five past him a couple of times.