WBAUnofficial
Gordon Banks - Printable Version

+- WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk)
+-- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: WBAUnofficial (https://wbaunofficial.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Gordon Banks (/showthread.php?tid=435)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Gordon Banks - 11amstart - 02-11-2019

He is very ill and is expected to die in the next few days, says a very reliable source. Truly one of the heroes of English football and when he finally passes, the football world will shed many tears! I met him once, in a cinema in The Potteries and was so much in awe I could hardly speak!

RE: Gordon Banks - hudds - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 05:17 PM)11amstart Wrote: He is very ill and is expected to die in the next few days, says a very reliable source. Truly one of the heroes of English football and when he finally passes, the football world will shed many tears! I met him once, in a cinema in The Potteries and was so much in awe I could hardly speak!

I remember him playing against us at home in about 1970 and everybody booing as he pretended to be injured....

A real legend, notwithstanding.

RE: Gordon Banks - Supamart - 02-11-2019

Very sad if correct.

RE: Gordon Banks - aj21 - 02-11-2019

A true gentleman, I worked with him helping out the Pools Panel. You can’t underestimate what a legend he is, absolute icon and was really genuine. Loved Stoke City

RE: Gordon Banks - Spandaubaggie - 02-11-2019

Retired before my time, due to his car crash. Recall it being big news at the time.
He's 81 and, if it is his time, I'm sure his family can rest assured he's had a great life and will be celebrated.

RE: Gordon Banks - baggiebloke - 02-11-2019

Sad to read this. His name is etched into the history books in big letters.

RE: Gordon Banks - Johnnykayeengland - 02-11-2019

Best goalie I've ever seen.
Shilton was brilliant. I saw Yashin (at Stan Matthews' benefit), Clemence was excellent, Jennings, Schmeichel,... but no real competition

RE: Gordon Banks - KratosBaggie - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 06:34 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Best goalie I've ever seen.
Shilton was brilliant. I saw Yashin (at Stan Matthews' benefit), Clemence was excellent, Jennings, Schmeichel,... but no real competition

There was an excellent article on the BBC (a rarity), prior to the World Cup last year, about Yashin. I didn't know he was made as a Scape Goat at one time.

RE: Gordon Banks - Dreamkiller - 02-11-2019

(02-11-2019, 05:17 PM)11amstart Wrote: He is very ill and is expected to die in the next few days, says a very reliable source. Truly one of the heroes of English football and when he finally passes, the football world will shed many tears! I met him once, in a cinema in The Potteries and was so much in awe I could hardly speak!

Is this a personal source rather than the media?

RE: Gordon Banks - Remi_Moses - 02-11-2019

Best shot stopper I've ever seen by a long way. Just a nice guy. My thoughts are with him and his family,