Donald Tusk
(02-07-2019, 04:10 PM)Beano Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 10:43 AM)LockHard Wrote: The comments by Tusk was aimed at the snake oil salesmen not the suckers who bought the snake oil.

I really don't buy all the hype that 17M+ people flocked to follow Farage, Boris or Gove, or swooned over a figure on the
side of a bus. Of course some were worried about immigration and sovereignty, but I bet a great many were simply
protesting at the failure of politicians to listen, look or care. Politicians whether in London or Brussels are seen as self
serving and with little or no connect to the normal person in the street.

If Tusk and his cronies had listened to the voices calling for change, if Cameron had bothered to trouble them with
his voice for change, then we might be in a different place right now. Even now, politicians both side of the divide
are more interested in saving face than saving the day and unity. The chaos has not come about by 17m votes, it
has come about by a very few leaders who have shown anything but leadership, and have set about a collision of
ideas when compromise and sensible solutions were easier and less costly to everyone.

It didn't require 17m to flock to Farage, Boris or Gove. I agree with you that the reasons people voted to leave were wideranging, and in many cases, fully justified. But in the end it needed only a turnover of 700k voters to change the result and there's no doubt in my mind that the "promise" of £350m to the NHS and the immigration BS from UKIP was decisive. I know they're out there - quite apart from hearing them on the radio and TV, I've spoken to them.
Tusk made a very good point.

Diplomatically the phrase 'special place in hell' doesn't help all though it has been quite amusing to see those who are quite happy to give out stick not able to take it - for example Johnson's comparison of the EU to Nazi Germany was a particular lowpoint.

That said there was not a 'sketch of a plan' when it came to what was to happen if Leave won. Really important issues like the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic was ignored throughout the campaign. There was a definite case of mcawberism amongst leave politicians - something would turn up to make things alright.

My view has been for some time that leave did not expect to win the referendum, so consequently didn't really think what would happen if they did win. Increasingly though, I am coming to the conclusion they didn't want to win.

Leaving the EU almost takes away their raison d'etre for being in politics. Without their dislike of the EU they had very little else to contribute to politics. And once we left the EU they would no longer be able to blame the EU for things not going well.

Responsibility is always such a burden for those who prefer to be irresponsible.
(02-08-2019, 08:18 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Tusk made a very good point.

Diplomatically the phrase 'special place in hell' doesn't help all though it has been quite amusing to see those who are quite happy to give out stick not able to take it - for example Johnson's comparison of the EU to Nazi Germany was a particular lowpoint.

That said there was not a 'sketch of a plan' when it came to what was to happen if Leave won. Really important issues like the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic was ignored throughout the campaign. There was a definite case of mcawberism amongst leave politicians - something would turn up to make things alright.

My view has been for some time that leave did not expect to win the referendum, so consequently didn't really think what would happen if they did win. Increasingly though, I am coming to the conclusion they didn't want to win.

Leaving the EU almost takes away their raison d'etre for being in politics. Without their dislike of the EU they had very little else to contribute to politics. And once we left the EU they would no longer be able to blame the EU for things not going well.

Responsibility is always such a burden for those who prefer to be irresponsible.

I see The Times (Owned by Brexiteer media baron Murdoch) today quotes Tusk about the "special place in hell" for Brexiteers, omitting the full observation that the place be reserved for Brexiteers who had no plan.  I would think all voters (Remain and Leave) would - or ought - to agree with Tusk (who is an Anglophile).
In Tusk I'd trust. He seems to speak his mind and doesn't have the Ancien Regime insidiousness of others. It's pathetic that some are whining about Tusk because of his honesty and undoubted correctness.

Shabb, Euroscepticism will keep on giving for the prophets of insularism. British political discourse on the right will surely blame the Euro "stab in the back" for the coming calamity. "Big Eurogang stole our dinner groats, waaah!"
There'll be little Brexiter introspection over their obvious culpability, and they'll spacegoat the EU.
(02-08-2019, 12:35 PM)Pneumann Wrote: In Tusk I'd trust. He seems to speak his mind and doesn't have the Ancien Regime insidiousness of others. It's pathetic that some are whining about Tusk because of his honesty and undoubted correctness.

Shabb, Euroscepticism will keep on giving for the prophets of insularism. British political discourse on the right will surely blame the Euro "stab in the back" for the coming calamity. "Big Eurogang stole our dinner groats, waaah!"
There'll be little Brexiter introspection over their obvious culpability, and they'll spacegoat the EU.

The trouble is those that voted Brexit will lap up the ‘it’s the EUs fault’. It’ll still be everyone else’s fault but themselves in 5, 10yrs time.
(02-08-2019, 01:05 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(02-08-2019, 12:35 PM)Pneumann Wrote: In Tusk I'd trust. He seems to speak his mind and doesn't have the Ancien Regime insidiousness of others. It's pathetic that some are whining about Tusk because of his honesty and undoubted correctness.

The trouble is those that voted Brexit will lap up the ‘it’s the EUs fault’. It’ll still be everyone else’s fault but themselves in 5, 10yrs time.
Eggs actly.
Is this the wba forum or the guardian website ....
(02-08-2019, 09:17 PM)Mickyfudge Wrote: Is this the wba forum or the guardian website ....

Have you tried Facebook?
Tusk played his Joker in an attempt to.unite the UK in negotiations with the EU. Looks like some people fell for it. A man who's own country has disowned him is not about to deliberately rock the boat he lives in.
(02-11-2019, 09:50 AM)Black penny Wrote: Tusk played his Joker in an attempt to.unite the UK in negotiations with the EU. Looks like some people fell for it. A man who's own country has disowned him is not about to deliberately rock the boat he lives in.

You mean the country that elected him as prime minister twice - don't let facts get in the way of a good brexiteer statement will you. What you mean is the right wing party in Poland are pissed off with him.