This Town
(04-01-2024, 06:59 PM)Woodman scoreboard Wrote: 1982 v man City away they were formed

Correct answer
They got loads wrong but for sure the Happy trooper is where the blues firm started about 78/79 the chelmsley wood lads were prob the first big skinhead firm I remember around the time of the punk scene not long after Northfield .Acocks green. sheldon. yardley .etc ..the main kick off nights were the Swan at yardley the hunters moon .mackadown kitts green ..on match days blues firm would meet up in the bullring /Ragmarket or the fair which was outside the rag. They would group up then walk down to the ground .or new st station to wait ....but yes it started in the Trooper...
Not seen it yet, but anyone expecting historical accuracy from the guy who moved a Victorian street mob and elevated them to be a Midlands 1920s mafia is gonna be disappointed.
(04-02-2024, 07:39 AM)NewWanker Wrote: Not seen it yet, but anyone expecting historical accuracy from the guy who moved a Victorian street mob and elevated them to be a Midlands 1920s mafia is gonna be disappointed.

I’ve watched two episodes and it’s a good series so far with no ridiculous casting of characters which is unusual for BBC but with Steven Knight involved it’s got a chance of being enjoyable
(04-02-2024, 08:51 AM)Bartley_baggie Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 07:39 AM)NewWanker Wrote: Not seen it yet, but anyone expecting historical accuracy from the guy who moved a Victorian street mob and elevated them to be a Midlands 1920s mafia is gonna be disappointed.

I’ve watched two episodes and it’s a good series so far with no ridiculous casting of characters which is unusual for BBC but with Steven Knight involved it’s got a chance of being enjoyable

That's all I'd hope for, something enjoyable. That's what TV entertainment is supposed to be after all.
(04-01-2024, 07:56 PM)moley63 Wrote: They got loads wrong but for sure the Happy trooper is where the blues firm started about 78/79 the chelmsley wood lads were prob the first big skinhead firm I remember around the time of the punk scene not long after Northfield .Acocks green. sheldon. yardley .etc ..the main kick off nights were the Swan at yardley  the hunters moon .mackadown kitts green ..on match days blues firm would meet up in the bullring /Ragmarket or the fair which was outside the rag. They would group up then walk down to the ground .or new  st station to wait ....but yes it started in the Trooper...

All those evocative names from my youth. The Harlequin could be tasty too.
(04-01-2024, 07:56 PM)moley63 Wrote: They got loads wrong but for sure the Happy trooper is where the blues firm started about 78/79 the chelmsley wood lads were prob the first big skinhead firm I remember around the time of the punk scene not long after Northfield .Acocks green. sheldon. yardley .etc ..the main kick off nights were the Swan at yardley  the hunters moon .mackadown kitts green ..on match days blues firm would meet up in the bullring /Ragmarket or the fair which was outside the rag. They would group up then walk down to the ground .or new  st station to wait ....but yes it started in the Trooper...

The Shakespeare pub off New St was also a meeting place for blues on home match days  Some of Albion’s firm would also drink in there with them, before and after the respective home games and both would then head to new st together, to wait for the Villa special to come in.
I told you I’ll be back
(04-02-2024, 06:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

The Shakespeare pub off New St was also a meeting place for blues on home match days  Some of Albion’s firm would also drink in there with them, before and after the respective home games and both would then head to new st together, to wait for the Villa special to come in.

The Shakespeare was mainly Albion Blues were normally in Kaleidoscopes or the Crown we were on good terms with them except when we were playing each other.

I lived in Acocks Green for about 3 years from 1985 so got to know a lot of the main Blues Zulu’s they had a right firm from the Green/Yardley
(04-02-2024, 06:51 PM)Hughie Reed 31 Wrote:
(04-02-2024, 06:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

The Shakespeare was mainly Albion Blues were normally in Kaleidoscopes or the Crown we were on good terms with them except when we were playing each other.

I lived in Acocks Green for about 3 years from 1985 so got to know a lot of the main Blues Zulu’s they had a right firm from the Green/Yardley

The kaleidoscope.  I’d forgotten about that bar. 

I lived up the road in Olton.  The pub on the roundabout in Acocks Green (I’ve forgotten what it was called) used to be a main blues boozer. And the little flat roofed pub outside safeways (Morrisons now).   The mermaid hardly anyone went in to.  

The golden arrow was ok.
I told you I’ll be back
(04-02-2024, 06:02 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

Lots of Albion fans drank in the Shakespeare with many of our "lads" next door in The Temple Bars. It was a regular dropping off place after arriving at New St from an away game. Blues fans were present all over town but I don't remember villa ever having a regular haunt.