Return of the King
Sherjil MacDonald back at the Hawthorns on a Saturday.

#underbelly
I miss Albion finding players like MacDonald. Yes many don’t work out but they’re low cost and every so often you find a Mulumbu, a Yacob, a Korean or a Wood.

We’ve so lost our way.
(09-20-2022, 01:37 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: I miss Albion finding players like MacDonald. Yes many don’t work out but they’re low cost and every so often you find a Mulumbu, a Yacob, a Korean or a Wood.

We’ve so lost our way.

Free signing Jed Wallace has achieved far more at Albion than Sherjil ever did.
After wasting multi millions on crap like Zohore and Grant we do seem to have found our way again (BTA for £300k)
(09-20-2022, 01:41 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(09-20-2022, 01:37 PM)BurleyBaggie Wrote: I miss Albion finding players like MacDonald. Yes many don’t work out but they’re low cost and every so often you find a Mulumbu, a Yacob, a Korean or a Wood.

We’ve so lost our way.

After wasting multi millions on crap like Zohore and Grant we do seem to have found our way again (BTA for £300k)

Swift and Wallace were two of the best players from the previous season and we only found BTA because Brucey's son-in-law told him to sign him. Not quite the scouting coups you think they are.
(09-20-2022, 01:41 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:

We’ve so lost our way.

I've seen nothing to suggest our scouting setup is anywhere near what it was 15 years ago.
How good is Pearce and his recruitment team.
Who actually measures the recruitment departments performance.
Come on, give Pearce a break. He's probably playing Football Manager as we speak while looking for the latest hot prospects. After that, he'll put Fifa on.
(09-20-2022, 03:00 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Come on, give Pearce a break. He's probably playing Football Manager as we speak while looking for the latest hot prospects. After that, he'll put Fifa on.
He doesn't do Fifa anymore, little Alex has a tantrum if he loses so only Ken is allowed to play him, as he's just as shit at that as the real thing.
(09-20-2022, 03:00 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Come on, give Pearce a break. He's probably playing Football Manager as we speak while looking for the latest hot prospects. After that, he'll put Fifa on.

Oh please, like we have a computer in our recruitment department.

We’ve got a few tattered printouts of Ashworth’s last scouting trips and a few names Brucey’s mates have recommended on the back of takeaway leaflets.

Quite a step backwards from the dartboard we used under Terry Burton and Pulis’s torn out Panini sticker album pages for Man United in the mid noughties.
(09-20-2022, 05:31 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Oh please, like we have a computer in our recruitment department.

We’ve got a few tattered printouts of Ashworth’s last scouting trips and a few names Brucey’s mates have recommended on the back of takeaway leaflets.

Quite a step backwards from the dartboard we used under Terry Burton and Pulis’s torn out Panini sticker album pages for Man United in the mid noughties.

I heard a fascinating interview with Ashworth a month or so back. Spoke in depth about about the scouting department he put together at the Albion and how it all worked. I can't remember what he called the video room now but essentially his team watched hundreds of hours worth of individual players, 24/7, until they all agreed on the player. Only then would he fly out and watch the with whoever the manager was.

The meticulous planning and vision of the bloke was first class. There was no wonder he got to where he has. Just look at the players he bought in to Brighton who they've just sold on for massive profits. Trossard and Macallister are worth big bucks now too. Already looks like he's carrying that on at Toon now.

Absolute class operator imo.