Martin Kelly confirmed
(09-01-2022, 07:21 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 07:07 PM)Man from delmonte Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 06:38 PM)Dumbo Wrote: Why a 2 year deal?

A 32 year old, injury prone, squad filler signing that hasn’t even had a pre season. Have we learned nothing from the signing of Kean Bryan. (Yes, he still plays for us).

Listen, we’ve always had a Chris Baird, Tyron Mears type filler signing in us. The problem is now, we’re using the Adam Reach type signings and giving them too much game time or the Kean Bryan’s a two year deal.

Agree with every word of this.

Don't necessarily have an issue with the signing if it had been an Andy Carroll type deal but 2 years ffs.

Bizarre deal. No need for a 2 year deal at all. 

Fire up that hydropool..... Budge up Bryan....

If he has other 2 year deals in the table we have no choice if we want him
I'm not going to pre-judge Kelly before he plays but, in general, offering contracts that are too long to players who are the wrong side of 30 isn't sustainable, yet we persist with doing it. Some have said that he might not have been willing to sign without it being a 2 year deal. That may be true, in which case we could always have not signed him! As a free agent, it's not like he was holding all the aces.

If he's only made 3 appearances in the past 2 seasons, what's he been doing - has been injured, playing for the PL2 team or what? I hope he does well for us but, given that he's been a free agent for 2 months, you have to wonder why no-one else has come in for him in the meantime?

Anyway, I wish him well and hope that he can get up to speed quickly and stay fit.
A lot of posters pontificating about the type of deal we should offer to a 32 year old. Perhaps you guys have forgotten that Ajayi limped off to the treatment room for a 6 week stay, leaving O'Shea and Bartley as first choice with no backup. I'd say Kelly or anyone else was in a strong bargaining position.
(09-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: A lot of posters pontificating about the type of deal we should offer to a 32 year old. Perhaps you guys have forgotten that Ajayi limped off to the treatment room for a 6 week stay, leaving O'Shea and Bartley as first choice with no backup. I'd say Kelly or anyone else was in a strong bargaining position.

In other words, Bruce's decisions earlier in the window which left us with only 3 centre-backs have led to us having to makie a panic signing on deadline day.
(09-01-2022, 08:39 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: A lot of posters pontificating about the type of deal we should offer to a 32 year old. Perhaps you guys have forgotten that Ajayi limped off to the treatment room for a 6 week stay, leaving O'Shea and Bartley as first choice with no backup. I'd say Kelly or anyone else was in a strong bargaining position.

Like fucking Groundhog day, ay it.

You say this like there are no other RB's out there. Good, well run teams don't offer 32 year old injury prone full backs these type of deals, I'm just concerned where this leaves us in 12 months tbh.
It's one of those deals which could be a surprising masterstroke, he was a very good player pre-injury issues. If he's over the worse, we could have a good player for a couple of years as he sees out his career.

However it could also be a total disaster as we never get him fit, or he has lost his ability on the injury table.
It's a bit similar to when we signed Steven Reid in terms of lack of football due to injury and a similar sort of age, although we did have him on loan first so knew what we were getting when signed. We did need another defender in and he was a good player a few years ago, whether he still is remains to be seen. Not keen on the two year deal no matter how desperate we are.
(09-01-2022, 09:11 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: It's a bit similar to when we signed Steven Reid although we did have him on loan first though so knew what we were getting when signed. We did need another defender in and he was a good player a few years ago, whether he still is remains to be seen. Not keen on the two year deal no matter how desperate we were.

I dont doubt his ability, I'm more concerned with how long before he is match fit.
(09-01-2022, 09:14 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 09:11 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: It's a bit similar to when we signed Steven Reid although we did have him on loan first though so knew what we were getting when signed. We did need another defender in and he was a good player a few years ago, whether he still is remains to be seen. Not keen on the two year deal no matter how desperate we were.

I dont doubt his ability, I'm more concerned with how long before he is match fit.

About 2 years.