Play-off Winners
17-18 - Jokanovic Fulham 3rd (won 7 of last 10 and 2 draws - lost on final day resting first team!)
16-17 - Wagner Huddersfield 5th (had won only 2 of their last 10 after collapsing)
15-16 - Bruce Hull City 4th (5 wins from last 10 games, including 4 of last 6)
14-15 - Lambert Norwich 3rd (won 6 of last 8 games)
13-14 - Redknapp QPR 4th (Won 3 of last 10 games, and scraped through the semis AET and a ET winner in final!)
12-13 - Holloway Palace 5th (1 win in last 10 games after imploding and changing manager - think that was the year Poyet allegedly shit in their dressing room!)
11-12 - Allardyce West Ham 3rd (6 wins in last 10 games)
10-11 - Rodgers Swansea 3rd (won their last 3 but decidedly mixed form in latter half of season)
09-10 - Holloway Blackpool 6th (Late charge with 6 wins in last 8 after a couple defeats, snuck into last playoff place on last day!)
08-09 - Coyle Burnley 5th (Average form, had been in playoffs most of the season)

So looking at the last 10 seasons, 
3rd - 4x
4th - 2x
5th - 3x
6th - 1x

Form seems relatively unimportant too... very few sides have blitzed through the playoffs, most of the time it comes down to who can grind out a couple results in the semis and on the final day it's anyone's! Might be worth tapping up Holloway though as he's won it twice in the last 10 years, although from memory 6/10 managers to win it are currently unemployed!!
Nice summary there. Shows how tough the Championship is.
Only 1 6th place team though...got to finish minimum 3rd at all costs
I wouldn't put it past us to finish above Leeds and avoid them/Villa in Semi.  

They still have to play Villa at home. 

Could still go to the wire.
If I was our manager now I’d be focusing on making us tough to beat.

The playoffs are pretty much guaranteed, and finishing position rarely means anything... we need to be able to pick up 3 clean sheets in the play off games and promotion is ours.

Channel our inner Pulis, dust off a few of his old set piece routines and get back to basics. I’d be very tempted to move Daws back to RB where he can do less damage, and bring Bartley and Hegazi together in the middle.

Barry and Livermore ahead of them, Brunt one side, Phillips the other, with HRK and Gayle up top.

Rudimentary, but it’s usually the side that can grind out a clean sheet that gets through.
(04-09-2019, 11:16 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote: 17-18 - Jokanovic Fulham 3rd (won 7 of last 10 and 2 draws - lost on final day resting first team!)
16-17 - Wagner Huddersfield 5th (had won only 2 of their last 10 after collapsing)
15-16 - Bruce Hull City 4th (5 wins from last 10 games, including 4 of last 6)
14-15 - Lambert Norwich 3rd (won 6 of last 8 games)
13-14 - Redknapp QPR 4th (Won 3 of last 10 games, and scraped through the semis AET and a ET winner in final!)
12-13 - Holloway Palace 5th (1 win in last 10 games after imploding and changing manager - think that was the year Poyet allegedly shit in their dressing room!)
11-12 - Allardyce West Ham 3rd (6 wins in last 10 games)
10-11 - Rodgers Swansea 3rd (won their last 3 but decidedly mixed form in latter half of season)
09-10 - Holloway Blackpool 6th (Late charge with 6 wins in last 8 after a couple defeats, snuck into last playoff place on last day!)
08-09 - Coyle Burnley 5th (Average form, had been in playoffs most of the season)

So looking at the last 10 seasons, 
3rd - 4x
4th - 2x
5th - 3x
6th - 1x

Form seems relatively unimportant too... very few sides have blitzed through the playoffs, most of the time it comes down to who can grind out a couple results in the semis and on the final day it's anyone's! Might be worth tapping up Holloway though as he's won it twice in the last 10 years, although from memory 6/10 managers to win it are currently unemployed!!

Nice piece mon. First things first - we need to actually ensure we make the fugging POs. Wouldn’t put it past this lot to bollock that up too

Seem to debunk the myth about 3rd place being gallant losers/ 6th place being lucky winners
(04-09-2019, 12:11 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: If I was our manager now I’d be focusing on making us tough to beat.

The playoffs are pretty much guaranteed, and finishing position rarely means anything... we need to be able to pick up 3 clean sheets in the play off games and promotion is ours.

Channel our inner Pulis, dust off a few of his old set piece routines and get back to basics. I’d be very tempted to move Daws back to RB where he can do less damage, and bring Bartley and Hegazi together in the middle.

Barry and Livermore ahead of them, Brunt one side, Phillips the other, with HRK and Gayle up top.

Rudimentary, but it’s usually the side that can grind out a clean sheet that gets through.

Agree 100%.

This side should, given the run of the ball, keep 2 clean sheets from the 3 games. 

The play offs are going to be horrible but there's absolutely no chance I'd be giving the opposition like Leeds chances on the counter attack or letting set piece goals in.

Our squad of old men should play like old men IMO.
Great. That should be the Albion DNA then. For me we aren’t a fan base that would get behind building it from the back. As has been shown this season. We are a team that should built in the mould of a 4-2-3-1. A DOF should dictate our playing style and purchase players accordingly. If you look at the last 20 years our relative success has come from that shape and having less than 50% of the ball.
(04-09-2019, 01:14 PM)Albion Wrote: Great. That should be the Albion DNA then. For me we aren’t a fan base that would get behind building it from the back. As has been shown this season. We are a team that should built in the mould of a 4-2-3-1. A DOF should dictate our playing style and purchase players accordingly. If you look at the last 20 years our relative success has come from that shape and having less than 50% of the ball.

Over 46 games that type of football wouldn’t win promotion, only have to look at our home form post Barnes to see that, however a three game knock out it probably would give us the best chance.

Also, I think it’s important our side going into the playoffs contains as many players who will be here next season as possible. Promotion means little or nothing to the loanees, whereas it has huge financial benefits to the core of our side... even Barry probably stands a better chance of another 12 months if we go up over if we don’t.

If doubling your wages, plus a huge bonus isn’t incentive enough for this lot to dig in for 270 minutes I don’t know what is...
(04-09-2019, 01:21 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 01:14 PM)Albion Wrote: Great. That should be the Albion DNA then. For me we aren’t a fan base that would get behind building it from the back. As has been shown this season. We are a team that should built in the mould of a 4-2-3-1. A DOF should dictate our playing style and purchase players accordingly. If you look at the last 20 years our relative success has come from that shape and having less than 50% of the ball.

Over 46 games that type of football wouldn’t win promotion, only have to look at our home form post Barnes to see that, however a three game knock out it probably would give us the best chance.

Also, I think it’s important our side going into the playoffs contains as many players who will be here next season as possible. Promotion means little or nothing to the loanees, whereas it has huge financial benefits to the core of our side... even Barry probably stands a better chance of another 12 months if we go up over if we don’t.

If doubling your wages, plus a huge bonus isn’t incentive enough for this lot to dig in for 270 minutes I don’t know what is...

Interesting points. I have to say IMO the Loan players have bought into the club. I can’t label that at any of them. The stand outs of course who are still here are Holgate and Gayle.

Out of interest how would you set up then? Something like this...

Johnstone

Dawson
Bartley
Hegazi
Gibbs

Livermore
Barry

Phillips
Rodriguez
Brunt

Gayle

?