The Sports Argus
I remember the stand sellers in town crying out the Argus and the Evening Mail. I remember one guy whose shout never sounded like "Argus!" or "Final Mail" but "Wagus!" and "Find a whale!". Brilliant paper and a joy as a kid.
Brentbaggie Wrote:I remember the stand sellers in town crying out the Argus and the Evening Mail.  I remember one guy whose shout never sounded like "Argus!" or "Final Mail" but "Wagus!" and "Find a whale!".  Brilliant paper and a joy as a kid.
It was part of the job description for those guys. Just yell something no one can make out, they know what they want.
Ha! Just remembered something that happened after a home defeat and we were walking out of the old Brummie Rd. It was kicking off outside and a lad that used to get our bus grabbed an E and D off the guy that sold them under the terrace. He was promptly nicked by a copper grateful to get out of the mayhem. Cost him £10 or £15 IIRC and he was forever greeted with unintelligible newspaper cries whenever we saw him.
(02-08-2022, 09:51 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: I remember the stand sellers in town crying out the Argus and the Evening Mail.  I remember one guy whose shout never sounded like "Argus!" or "Final Mail" but "Wagus!" and "Find a whale!".  Brilliant paper and a joy as a kid.

When I lived in Sheffield they used to sell their version of the Argus Green 'Un alongside the Sheffield Star with the cry "Green Un Late Night Final, Late Night" with a rising and louder inflection on the "Late Night". Used to pick up a copy of that alongside my New Street bought Argus on the way back from home games in the early 90's.
(02-08-2022, 10:14 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 09:51 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote: I remember the stand sellers in town crying out the Argus and the Evening Mail.  I remember one guy whose shout never sounded like "Argus!" or "Final Mail" but "Wagus!" and "Find a whale!".  Brilliant paper and a joy as a kid.

When I lived in Sheffield they used to sell their version of the Argus Green 'Un alongside the Sheffield Star with the cry "Green Un Late Night Final, Late Night" with a rising and louder inflection on the "Late Night". Used to pick up a copy of that alongside my New Street bought Argus on the way back from home games in the early 90's.

I defo remember buying other area's versions at away games, typically when we'd been sat in the car for yonks post-match and the deliveries were made at newsagents before we'd left the town/city/wherever we were.

Reminds of good times.
baggiebloke Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:
Brentbaggie Wrote:I remember the stand sellers in town crying out the Argus and the Evening Mail.  I remember one guy whose shout never sounded like "Argus!" or "Final Mail" but "Wagus!" and "Find a whale!".  Brilliant paper and a joy as a kid.

I defo remember buying other area's versions at away games, typically when we'd been sat in the car for yonks post-match and the deliveries were made at newsagents before we'd left the town/city/wherever we were.

Reminds of good times.
Yes. The Liverpool echo version was particularly terrible for a 'football city'. In fact, IMO, the Argos was better than all the others in that it had more than just the results and it wasn't overly biased.
(02-08-2022, 12:02 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
baggiebloke Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:

Reminds of good times.
Yes. The Liverpool echo version was particularly terrible for a 'football city'. In fact, IMO, the Argos was better than all the others in that it had more than just the results and it wasn't overly biased.

Indeed.

The Sports Argus always seemed a cut above.
I used to join the queue outside Slim's newsagent in Streetly. Slim was a guy who didn't much like opening his shop any time - they always closed for 4 days over Easter. Staying open until 6.30 on Saturday so these sad bastards could have their pink paper used to annoy him greatly.

The pre-season Football Special was always eagerly awaited. It shows how little news we got in those pre-internet days. The squad lists were in there, complete with ages and games played. I remember being surprised how young Ally Robertson was in 1976 (he seemed to have been around forever) and equally how old Willie Johnston was.
(02-08-2022, 08:31 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: I generally stopped at the newsagent in Princes End or get it from the Bramford shops on Park Road. I'd chat with Daz and other Baggies...

When it arrived it was like feeding time at the zoo!

Such a shame that things like the Argus are gone forever. Defo part of our supporting lives.

PS in comparison, the Sporting Star was shite.

Fags and mags?
It’s all a part of life that the younger generation will simply not understand. The inability to find out scores if you weren’t near a radio or TV, the gatherings of men outside TV rental shops at 4.45 every Saturday afternoon, the buying of shoot to get the league ladders, the waiting for the van with the Argus in it. The reality that unless you went to matches you wouldn’t get that experience and a big driver for just supporting your local team.

Things are better in many ways, and equally worse at the same time.
(02-08-2022, 12:48 PM)baggy1 Wrote: It’s all a part of life that the younger generation will simply not understand. The inability to find out scores if you weren’t near a radio or TV, the gatherings of men outside TV rental shops at 4.45 every Saturday afternoon, the buying of shoot to get the league ladders, the waiting for the van with the Argus in it. The reality that unless you went to matches you wouldn’t get that experience and a big driver for just supporting your local team.

Things are better in many ways, and equally worse at the same time.

No SSN back then. Just WM and the Vidiprinter from 4:30 with Des Lynam.

(buzzy typing sound) Sheff Utd........0

W.........est..........Brom........................

"Oh come oooon!!"

"Feck".

https://youtu.be/n_Wsoq1PGQo

Memories...... Big Grin