The Sports Argus
https://youtu.be/dONHQCNXbII
Superb. I was always sent down by my Dad to get the Argus. Like all the other kids I used to take the long way home to read it first.
Ahhh the good old Argus. I used to buy it on the way back from the match (if we'd not lost), as the bus used to give them long enough to print it up and get it out before I got back into town. Oddly, I used to buy it from outside the Argos (now B&M). I guess places like this dump and the internet in general killed it off... That and the tram is so much faster than the bus that it'd never have been ready these days Big Grin
I generally stopped at the newsagent in Princes End or get it from the Bramford shops on Park Road. I'd chat with Daz and other Baggies...

When it arrived it was like feeding time at the zoo!

Such a shame that things like the Argus are gone forever. Defo part of our supporting lives.

PS in comparison, the Sporting Star was shite.
(02-08-2022, 08:31 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: I generally stopped at the newsagent in Princes End or get it from the Bramford shops on Park Road. I'd chat with Daz and other Baggies...

When it arrived it was like feeding time at the zoo!

Such a shame that things like the Argus are gone forever. Defo part of our supporting lives.

PS in comparison, the Sporting Star was shite.

My first job was as an Argus delivery boy, it was the best paper round as all the blokes were so keen to get hold of it, they forgot the change!
Standing outside the newsagent, bag of chips in hand, moaning about the latest debacle to fellow Baggies, with the usual crowing from the Seals and Dings in the crowd. Then you spot the van (cautious movement in the crowd), the driver looks at you all like a Zoo keeper entering the Lion enclosure. Out he comes, pile of 'Pinks' in hand. Just before the crowd descends on him, the plucky newsagent nips in, grabs the pile and legs it in the shop. Groans all round. Another 5 mins of queuing, and those that were hoping to get away without paying for one (Dings usually) will be sorely disappointed.
My old man had a mate with a newsagent's who'd save us one. Because we were out in the sticks they'd be a bit later and they'd sometimes close the shop before you could get down there. He'd also save me an Evening Mail on a Thursday because it had the jobs list.
Still got a few in the loft I think from when I was a nipper. I remember one cover, think it was Talbot era, with all the new signings in one photo.

I will see if i can dig them out over the next few weeks and post a few covers on here.
Enjoyed that, thanks.
I remember as a kid we used to go to my grandparents who lived in Newtown quite regularly on a Saturday.
My grandad would have the telly on for the horse racing, it was one of those radio rentals ones where you had to put 50p in and it would work for a set amount of time. I remember him going barmy when it ran out during a race he had some money on.
Me and my uncle who was nearer my older brothers age than my moms would be sent up the road to get the "pink paper" as my grandad called it and i always remember looking for the Albion score on the results summary on the front page.
I remember my wedding reception at the court oak, at 6.30 about 6 of us males all walked over to paper shop to buy the sports Argus, having a quick read before going back, all the women said was you men and your bloody football. As Mary Hopkin said Those we’re the days my Friends.