According to the Perce
(03-11-2019, 11:36 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:28 AM)Brunty Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Can we just have a pragmatic manager like Roy Hodgson who will play to the squads strengths please. It doesn’t have to be complicated, aesthetically beautiful, a project or a philosophy just s manager managing resources.

I agree with this.

A lot of Albion fans were asking for good attacking football after Pulis left. But let's be honest we just want to see our team win games. We tried to pass it out from the back and our fans got frustrated, rightly so. Just put players in their best positions, play a formation that suits the strengths of the players and play a style of football that the players are comfortable with.

Let's be honest if it wasn't for the fact footballers and in turn most managers were born with the talent to kick a bag of wind around many would struggle to stack shelves in Asda. Coaches coming through now have to have a 'philosophy, project'  to be seen as intelligent and progressive (the new wanky word of choice) it just complicates a simple game and puts them under pressure. If you have a slow, but solid defence that has limits with it's ability to pass, don't play them high up the field or leave them exposed by not asking the rest of the team to track back and keep their shape when we aren't in possession. Don't ask them to play intricate triangles to each other and the keeper when the end result most times is they give the ball away only closer to our penalty area than it would have been had the keeper / defender just cleared their lines. If you have a midfield that cannot cover the ground fast enough in a three don't play a midfield with three in it. If we are struggling to break teams down don't play the same tactics over and over again when they haven't worked for half the match, play the ball into the channels, change the formation, mix up the play, do something different.

Over time a manager can adjust a team to his preferred way of playing but when you are presented with the tools at you disposal use them first and use them as they were intended not how you wish they could.

Exactly.
(03-10-2019, 08:36 PM)Albionmad Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 08:28 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 08:24 PM)wba13 Wrote: Percy just posted we are in talks with Jokanovic with Alex Neil in the frame also Wagner though he has since ruled himself out. Carvalhal has also let it be known he is interested.

Neil might be a good long term shout.

Not Neil. Couldn't cut it with Norwich. Doesn't inspire me at all. Preston's his level

Doing a superb job at PNE, Imo.
(03-11-2019, 01:05 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 08:36 PM)Albionmad Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 08:28 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 08:24 PM)wba13 Wrote: Percy just posted we are in talks with Jokanovic with Alex Neil in the frame also Wagner though he has since ruled himself out. Carvalhal has also let it be known he is interested.

Neil might be a good long term shout.

Not Neil. Couldn't cut it with Norwich. Doesn't inspire me at all. Preston's his level

Doing a superb job at PNE, Imo.

He is. Also got Norwich promoted, albeit lost his way in the end.

Jokanavic still my pick though.
I think it's harsh to say Preston's his level. He's only 37 years old and has had a very good managerial career for someone so young. I'd prefer Neil to someone like Johnson.
Neil would be a great appt after this next one has gone tits up. He isnt however a roll-of-the-dice can you get us up in 13 games sort of appointment. If we were thinking long term we already had the right man in place.
(03-11-2019, 10:20 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Can we just have a pragmatic manager like Roy Hodgson who will play to the squads strengths please. It doesn’t have to be complicated, aesthetically beautiful, a project or a philosophy just s manager managing resources.

Care to inform us what this entails with this squad.

I only ask as we made a virtue of keeping the 'premiership' squad together (although they lost their right to be called a premiership squad as they were relegated). And it would seem both Pulis and Pardew failed to play to the squad's strengths.

So enlighten as to what the new man needs to do to get the best out of the squad.
(03-11-2019, 01:45 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

Care to inform us what this entails with this squad.

I only ask as we made a virtue of keeping the 'premiership' squad together (although they lost their right to be called a premiership squad as they were relegated). And it would seem both Pulis and Pardew failed to play to the squad's strengths.

So enlighten as to what the new man needs to do to get the best out of the squad.

Open football where we play slow one paced football until we lose the ball and at the same time instruct Dawson and Bartley etc to pass like Man City players
I don't think it unreasonable to ask for us to stop the suicide football and up the tempo. We need a tweak not major surgery.
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Neil would be a great appt after this next one has gone tits up. He isnt however a roll-of-the-dice can you get us up in 13 games sort of appointment. If we were thinking long term we already had the right man in place.

Can’t agree, there’s no evidence to suggest Moore would be the right man long term. Plus no clubs look long term these days anyway.
(03-11-2019, 01:57 PM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 01:22 PM)HeathAyIt Wrote: Neil would be a great appt after this next one has gone tits up. He isnt however a roll-of-the-dice can you get us up in 13 games sort of appointment. If we were thinking long term we already had the right man in place.

Can’t agree, there’s no evidence to suggest Moore would be the right man long term. Plus no clubs look long term these days anyway.

There is no evidence to suggest that he would be the wrong man either. He was a rookie manager, naive in some decisions but he was learning and working very hard at it.

None of us can see the future.