Off topic - Alec Baldwin
(10-22-2021, 08:46 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:38 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:30 AM)MassDebater Wrote: On the BBC: A spokesperson for Mr Baldwin told AP news agency the incident involved the misfiring of a prop gun with blanks.

How on Earth?!?! Something seems a bit off to say the least.

Blanks can kill if there's something in the chamber. Usually there's something plastic in to enable compression so it fires properly, then all that needs to happen is the person hit being close enough.

Blanks aren't safe.

To take out two people with one blank seems very odd though, surely? I don't know much about guns, but a blank wouldn't penetrate like a real bullet would it?

Person who died gets full brunt of impact, person who is injured was close enough to get hit by the rebound or schrapnel.
(10-22-2021, 08:51 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:30 AM)MassDebater Wrote: On the BBC: A spokesperson for Mr Baldwin told AP news agency the incident involved the misfiring of a prop gun with blanks.

Blanks can kill if there's something in the chamber. Usually there's something plastic in to enable compression so it fires properly, then all that needs to happen is the person hit being close enough.

Blanks aren't safe.

To take out two people with one blank seems very odd though, surely? I don't know much about guns, but a blank wouldn't penetrate like a real bullet would it?

Person who died gets full brunt of impact, person who is injured was close enough to get hit by the rebound or schrapnel.

Ahh thanks. I honestly thought blanks just made a noise and not a lot actually came out of the barrel. Every day is school day Smile
Did you shoot them Alec? 

A little bit, you did, a little bit..

(10-22-2021, 08:53 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:51 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Blanks aren't safe.

Ahh thanks. I honestly thought blanks just made a noise and not a lot actually came out of the barrel. Every day is  school day Smile

My nutty mate had an imitation firearm 40 years ago, which just fired blanks, and looked realistic. He used to go around scaring the shit out of people, like skinheads in Weoley Castle.

Surely they could ensure this is the case as if this was possible in 1981 surely it is now.

Incidentally nutty mate has calmed down a lot. The RAF straightened him out.
(10-22-2021, 09:21 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:53 AM)MassDebater Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:51 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(10-22-2021, 08:38 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Blanks can kill if there's something in the chamber. Usually there's something plastic in to enable compression so it fires properly, then all that needs to happen is the person hit being close enough.

Blanks aren't safe.

Ahh thanks. I honestly thought blanks just made a noise and not a lot actually came out of the barrel. Every day is  school day Smile

My nutty mate had an imitation firearm 40 years ago, which just fired blanks, and looked realistic. He used to go around scaring the shit out of people, like skinheads in Weoley Castle.

Surely they could ensure this is the case as if this was possible in 1981 surely it is now.

Incidentally nutty mate has calmed down a lot. The RAF straightened him out.

Guess he got to fire real ammo and it changed his opinions a bit?
According to reports the bullets were real.
Alec Baldwin claimed he was ‘exhausted’ on set before fatal incident.
The 'Rust' camera crew walked off set in protest prior to the fatal shooting and the prop gun had previously misfired 3 times

“Corners were being cut — and they brought in nonunion people so they could continue shooting'

Alec Baldwin is a producer on the film

(via @latimes)
My dad was in the RAOC and regaled anecdotes of when things had almost gone wrong.
In this day and age using real guns beggars belief.