Karlan Grant
I'm a huge fan of Robbo but I thought on Saturday he was the poorest of all the forwards. 
Agree about our fans in previous posts, many of these are not youngsters either. Why do they bother going?
There's at least two issues here that you're confusing them for only one

I sat in the stand on Sat abd watched a really poor team performance. What a player did or didn't do or how I rate their contribution on an individual game has absolutely nothing to do with what they're paid or what their fee was

However judgement on the quality of a signing has to be in the context of the transfer fee

Diangana was pretty poor again, but not sure you're suggesting criticism of him is fee related?.

If Grant was. a £1m i'd still be asking why he'd displaced Diangana on the left & what he brings to the team.

A different and wider issue is how the club has dealt with player recruitment, spend and how a very heavy commitment on salary and fees affects the club going forward (esp given the lack of money being spent this season)

The parachute monies are tied up with the likes of Grant, Robinson, Diangana, Bartley, Phillips etc and we're hanging our hat on these players getting us promoted.

The success of the club over 20 years has been based on getting quality players in at good value. Failing to do that is always going to result in the promotion cycle being broken
To be very clear: Oli Burke will forever be the greatest waste of money we've ever spent.

I agree that Grant is absolutely overshadowed by his price tag and it means what he does is overlooked, for example, his work leading up the goal against Milwall.

Unfortunately, there is a very narrow band of expenditure which is acceptable for fans. Too cheap (McAuley, Townsend, Mears) and fans howl about us being small-time, too expensive (Grant, Diangana) and fans expect 9/10 performances every time they play.
I really had high hopes for Grant scoring plenty of goals this season. Hes proven before that he can score goals in this league.

Maybe its our tactics, maybe its the player, or possibly a bit of both, but we really do need him to step the fuck up and start looking like a championship striker.

We really do need a good, greedy striker who will bust a nut to get on the end of things.
Simplistic nonsense .... treating fans like idiots

All of a sudden you can't expect more from players that club has committed over £20m on ..that's both Diangana & Grant ?

Oli Burke WAS heading to be the worst financial decision in the clubs history (closely followed by Johny Evans non sale) but the Robinson deal means it's impossible for him to get that title

We'd tried to sign Robinson for £8m the season before & ended up paying circa £2m.plus Burke for Robinson

So loss on Burke much less than Grant might be .. current resale value not even half of what we paid
(09-20-2021, 01:11 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: Simplistic nonsense .... treating fans like idiots

All of a sudden you can't expect more from players that club has committed over £20m on ..that's both Diangana & Grant ?

Oli Burke WAS heading to be the worst financial decision in the clubs history (closely followed by Johny Evans non sale) but the Robinson deal means it's impossible for him to get that title

We'd tried to sign Robinson for £8m the season before & ended up paying circa £2m.plus Burke for Robinson

So loss on Burke much less than Grant might be .. current resale value not even half of what we paid

Not sure who your first sentence refers to, but if we'd have spent the Burke money more wisely that summer, maybe we wouldn't have been relegated, now that's costly.
(09-20-2021, 12:49 PM)Squid Wrote: To be very clear: Oli Burke will forever be the greatest waste of money we've ever spent.

I agree that Grant is absolutely overshadowed by his price tag and it means what he does is overlooked, for example, his work leading up the goal against Milwall.

Unfortunately, there is a very narrow band of expenditure which is acceptable for fans. Too cheap (McAuley, Townsend, Mears) and fans howl about us being small-time, too expensive (Grant, Diangana) and fans expect 9/10 performances every time they play.
Sometimes fans just want a good moan.

In a perfect world we'd be winning every game at a canter.

Currently we are where we've often been which is at the top end of The Champ and it's going almost as good as can be, but we'll always find something. That's the nature of people.

I'd imagine Wolves fans are the unhappiest at the minute followed by Blues now, with us and then Villa is the disgruntled stakes. A win v QPR and all will be rosy again.
(09-20-2021, 09:44 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 09:26 AM)petty sniper Wrote: I really think that Grant gets judged by our fans on what we paid for him and a general concensus that hes crap because we think he is crap.  So far this season I think he has been good apart from maybe the millwall game and first half against Derby when he was hooked.  When he came on yesterday he created 2 great chances, one for hugil and then a cross that ajay didnt quite reach.  He is the one that comes deep and moves the ball positivly through midfield.  Yet when folks on here give ratings for saturday he is panned.

And our fans at the game on saturday were shocking.  Some no marks next to me spent the game slagging off most of the players, the manager and the tactics to the point where I was  sick of it and questioning my attendance.  We are 2 points off top, anyone can see that the manager and tactics are evolving game by game, we may be a stiker short but in no way is that the fault of the manager or the players, or even anyone in the country.  The fault lies with someone who aint really that bothered that we are bothered so moaning about it achieves nowt.

Absolutely. The fact that most people had a higher rating for Robinson than Grant on the ratings thread highlights the bias

Probably because Robinson is a better player whose first touch doesn't lead to the ball bouncing 2 yards away from him.
(09-20-2021, 01:22 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 09:44 AM)Sliced Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 09:26 AM)petty sniper Wrote: I really think that Grant gets judged by our fans on what we paid for him and a general concensus that hes crap because we think he is crap.  So far this season I think he has been good apart from maybe the millwall game and first half against Derby when he was hooked.  When he came on yesterday he created 2 great chances, one for hugil and then a cross that ajay didnt quite reach.  He is the one that comes deep and moves the ball positivly through midfield.  Yet when folks on here give ratings for saturday he is panned.

And our fans at the game on saturday were shocking.  Some no marks next to me spent the game slagging off most of the players, the manager and the tactics to the point where I was  sick of it and questioning my attendance.  We are 2 points off top, anyone can see that the manager and tactics are evolving game by game, we may be a stiker short but in no way is that the fault of the manager or the players, or even anyone in the country.  The fault lies with someone who aint really that bothered that we are bothered so moaning about it achieves nowt.

Absolutely. The fact that most people had a higher rating for Robinson than Grant on the ratings thread highlights the bias

Probably because Robinson is a better player whose first touch doesn't lead to the ball bouncing 2 yards away from him.

He is a better player, but did less than Grant against Preston.
His highlights reel from Hudds tell you there is a good wide forward in there and one who knows where the goal is. However lost confidence robs you of a split second of sharpness and zip in the shot, and the missed penalty was a good example of player struggling.

Without the pricetag and indeed without Grady and Robbo around we would have no issues with giving him more time, he works hard and has created chances, indeed the goals may come. However in Grady we allready had our specialust left winger and fans favourite in place to be joined by Robbo who although only makewait was a real upgrade on Burke.

So we have an unbalaced forward line lacking a quality CF as Slav decided that KG could play the lone striker role and pushed for the deal even though overpriced. Still a baffling decision which seems to sit heavily on KG's shoulders and makes him an easy target for those fans looking for a spacegoat.

Apart from not matching up to unrealistic expectations I don't think he's done a lot wrong this season. His work ethic looks good and with confidence may still make a major contribution this season.