"World Leaders" Of Today
The biggest bunch of self-interest merchants of my lifetime.
(08-16-2021, 12:11 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: The biggest bunch of self-interest merchants of my lifetime.

I don't think they're much different to any others that there have been in my lifetime. maybe it's just more visible these days?
Biden is proving to be like Obama. Flawed in Foreign Policy and inept at decision making and implementation.
Red lines - don't make me laugh.
The less said about Trump and Bush the better.
The U.S has had a succession of incompetents in charge and it is difficult to remember back to one that was effective as a World leader.
Despite his flaws, common to many, Clinton is the last leader I can think of that fitted the bill with more right than wrong and even that is debatable, especially in his property development interests.
(08-16-2021, 12:11 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: The biggest bunch of self-interest merchants of my lifetime.

Do sympathise, B.B, but I think it`s been this way for years, certainly in my lifetime, nearly 60 years.

J.F.K.- allegedly only got elected by paying the mafia in Chicago to fix the result, latched on to `civil rights` as a vote winner among liberals, although he had no real interest. Got America embroiled in Vietnam.
Nixon.- maligned due to Watergate, ( he got caught ! ), did some good things, but, allegedly used campaign funds to build holiday homes in California & Florida.
Harold Wilson - A former Labour councillor told me `Wilson was a total crook`. Didn`t really run the country, Marcia Williams did.
Blair - No need to elaborate.
Cameron - See Blair , above.
(08-16-2021, 12:34 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:

Do sympathise, B.B, but I think it`s been this way for years, certainly in my lifetime, nearly 60 years.

J.F.K.- allegedly only got elected by paying the mafia in Chicago to fix the result, latched on to `civil rights` as a vote winner among liberals, although he had no real interest. Got America embroiled in Vietnam.
Nixon.- maligned due to Watergate, ( he got caught ! ), did some good things, but, allegedly used campaign funds to build holiday homes in California & Florida.
Harold Wilson - A former Labour councillor told me `Wilson was a total crook`. Didn`t really run the country, Marcia Williams did.

Agree with what you're saying.

But..re.Wilson

Wasn't he the alleged victim of a smear campaign by MI5? I think 'Spycatcher' backs up this theory. 

I do know he sued papers for libel and won when they accused him of corruption.
Political leaders tend to be self serving cunts. Maybe the Dalai Llama bucks the trend, but not many others do!
You don’t get to the position of leading an entire country if you aren’t a bit of a cunt.
(08-16-2021, 12:52 PM)Duffers Wrote: You don’t get to the position of leading an entire country if you aren’t a bit of a cunt.

I'm sure some of them would regard that as a plausible defence if challenged.

(08-16-2021, 12:31 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: Biden is proving to be like Obama. Flawed in Foreign Policy and inept at decision making and implementation.
Red lines - don't make me laugh.
The less said about Trump and Bush the better.
The U.S has had a succession of incompetents in charge and it is difficult to remember back to one that was effective as a World leader.
Despite his flaws, common to many, Clinton is the last leader I can think of that fitted the bill with more right than wrong and even that is debatable, especially in his property development interests.

I think I'm right in saying that the Clinton administration created more jobs than any other post-war, exceeding Roosevelt's 'New Deal' even when adjusted for population growth. More than the twelve years of Republican administrations preceding, and certainly more than the eight which followed.
(08-16-2021, 12:49 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:34 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:

Agree with what you're saying.

But..re.Wilson

Wasn't he the alleged victim of a smear campaign by MI5? I think 'Spycatcher' backs up this theory. 

I do know he sued papers for libel and won when they accused him of corruption.
Wilson kept us out of the Vietnam war
Whether you loved or hated him Churchill was a great leader 

As much as I hate Thatcher & still do (you could say she was a good leader)

Ckem Atlee/Nye Bevan were also deemed as great leaders 

Its a very subjective topic 

The German people classed Hitler as a great leader 

In recent years UK Politics has become very Americanised 

Instead of following policies public vote for

The elected party allow lobbyists to persuade them to making/not making decisions in their favour 

Then offer them lucrative posts on the board once finished in politics 

Hence why there is no real changes in the UK