GB News
(07-15-2021, 08:22 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-14-2021, 05:38 PM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: Send me yours so I can send an invoice and claim back the £240 extra I've spent in 2021 on food shopping compared with this time last year

Better still I'll send Mrs P over to teach you how to shop.

Great, I'll give her my old uni textbook on mathematical models for her to pass onto you so the next time they come up you don't look like a complete clot who doesn't know how models work.
Building material costs have gone through the roof. To the point that suppliers will only give a day or two guarantee on price. Some of this will be down to the pointless and unbelievably expensive HS2 sucking up supplies but it does seem to have also coincided with Brexit.
(07-15-2021, 08:44 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Building material costs have gone through the roof. To the point that suppliers will only give a day or two guarantee on price. Some of this will be down to the pointless and unbelievably expensive HS2 sucking up supplies but it does seem to have also coincided with Brexit.

Good grief, you don't think Covid has had an impact on the price of building materials globally? That all the plumbing and electrical fixings delayed coming in from China hasn't increased prices? That the explosion in the price of container traffic hasn't increased prices? That rampant inflation in the price of basic commodities isn't impacting the price of manufactured goods worldwide?

How jaundiced do you have to be to suggest this is anything to do with Brexit? It's pathetic.
(07-15-2021, 10:00 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 08:44 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Building material costs have gone through the roof. To the point that suppliers will only give a day or two guarantee on price. Some of this will be down to the pointless and unbelievably expensive HS2 sucking up supplies but it does seem to have also coincided with Brexit.

Good grief, you don't think Covid has had an impact on the price of building materials globally? That all the plumbing and electrical fixings delayed coming in from China hasn't increased prices? That the explosion in the price of container traffic hasn't increased prices? That rampant inflation in the price of basic commodities isn't impacting the price of manufactured goods worldwide?

How jaundiced do you have to be to suggest this is anything to do with Brexit? It's pathetic.

Softwood timber shortages are absolutely down to Brexit.

I didn't say other factors weren't at play, you are the one that will not even countenance the argument that Brexit is / potentially having on both price and availability of goods.
(07-15-2021, 10:42 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I didn't say other factors weren't at play

No you didn't, did you?
(07-15-2021, 11:26 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 10:42 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I didn't say other factors weren't at play

No you didn't, did you?

No you wont and can't can you?
(07-15-2021, 10:33 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Softwood timber shortages are absolutely down to Brexit.

Is it f**k!
How do you come to that assertion?
(At last my industry) 

“Mainly brought on by the ongoing pandemic, the volatile market, and the high global demand for timber and related products.”

“The Covid-19 outbreak then forced many European sawmills to close and halt production. “
“USA who are by far the world’s largest country and economy, saw a rapid surge in demand which could not be serviced through their already established supply chains. This led to key suppliers of Europe diverting their stock to the USA where prices spiralled and continue to set new records.”
“the timber industry will be in competition with many other industries trying to obtain road haulage capacity within the UK.”

https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/help-an...es-in-2021

“The clamour to ship as much wood as available into the UK during the first half of the year, has increased port activity to stretching point which has led to a number of quaysides suspending vessel arrivals to allow landed stock to clear. This situation has been met with further difficulties as it has coincided with a shortage of road haulage capacity, an issue which is also reflected in many parts of mainland Europe.” Interesting bit there and we are being told it’s just a problem in the U.K. because of Brexit obviously!

https://www.eternamedia.co.uk/blogs/soft...-increases

“Reductions in production in Canada, slower but returning growth in China, and uncertainties over Brexit customs arrangements and the Corona virus Covid19, were all factors highlighted by speakers at the conference. “

“ A potentially permanent reduction in Canada’s softwood production may divert more European supplies to markets in the USA, where buyers are paying superior prices. The advance of the Spruce Bark Beetle continues north across Europe; the resulting felling of damaged timber is reducing availability in the market. Demand in China had slowed last year, but is slowly returning to growth. Global demand for softwood is therefore at a record high.”

https://ttf.co.uk/tight-market-for-softw...e-in-2020/

So, other than some uncertainty in the first quarter of 2020 how is the shortage of softwood and building products the result of Brexit. I swear, if an asteroid hit the Earth it would be Brexit’s fault.
I "came to that assertion" by speaking to someone who imports sawn logs into the UK who directly referenced import issues due to new due diligence paperwork and plant health requirements alongside logistics issues caused by through routes for haulage companies on the continent being considered financially non-viable due to the paperwork costs being incurred to deliver to the UK coupled with export restrictions to third countries from some EU members which wouldn't have applied had we remained a member of the EU.

He also talked about how countries like Sweden didn't have any shutdowns and how German and Finnish production is well under control as per February 2021 and how Northern Ireland is having fewer issues then GB because a lot of its wood is coming paperwork free from Ireland, so while there is a price increase for to the smaller global pool of wood due to cuts to production in Canada shortages aren't nearly as much of an issue outside of Germany.

Side note, one of your links is from 15 months ago and the company referenced (TTF) have acknowledged the logistical and paperwork issues being a direct cause of current shortages.
Free speech! Whoah not that sort of free speech though…!

From GB News  Big Grin ‘On Tuesday a contributing presenter took the knee live on air and this was an unacceptable breach of our standards. ‘