Unite leadership candidate suspended over Priti Patel Tweet
https://news.sky.com/story/unite-leaders...d-12305814

I hope he would show a similar benevolence as he does to himself, had a Conservative Tweeted this about a politician from an ethnic minority.
I may be in a minority here, but can someone please explain exactly how that is a racist tweet?

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a cretin and represents everything that's wrong in the Labour movement but is it really racist? Crass yes, but racist?
(05-14-2021, 11:09 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I may be in a minority here, but can someone please explain exactly how that is a racist tweet?

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a cretin and represents everything that's wrong in the Labour movement but is it really racist? Crass yes, but racist?

Probably not but if a Tory had said something like that it would have certainly been defined as such.
There are some lovely Union types. As soon as the summer exams at school have finished I shall  be quitting Unison thanks to that odious official in Bristol and his deplorable comments about Prince Philip after his death. (With no censure main the maid branch iirc
Can we deport her cos she's a twat?

Seems fair enough to me.
(05-14-2021, 11:09 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I may be in a minority here, but can someone please explain exactly how that is a racist tweet?

This

And my advice is to stay off twitter for anyone in the public eye, anyone trying to get across complex issues in 140 characters (or whatever it is these days) should take a good hard look at themselves.
Agree with Proth crass and stupid tweet, which he deleted and issued an apology . Should be the end of it.

People make mistakes and hopefully they learn from them and sometimes part of making mistakes is that there are consequences, maybe not being elected chief honcho of Unite is the consequence.
(05-14-2021, 03:16 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Agree with Proth crass and stupid tweet, which he deleted and issued an apology . Should be the end of it.

People make mistakes and hopefully they learn from them and sometimes part of making mistakes is that there are consequences, maybe not being elected chief honcho of Unite is the consequence.

Stupid people should avoid twatter.  But then, it is a stupid people magnet, apparently.  Fuggin stupid Twatter addicts the lot of yis.

Modern life Proth.

Cyberspace thought police use the word racist to make pariahs of anyone they disagree with.

It doesn't matter how mild an insult is the righteous ones launch into a tirade where the wronged are treated with equal force. We live in a ridiculously thin-skinned era.

Problem as ever is the common-sense majority are silenced and just shake their heads only telling their views to friends in the pub or invited around for a meal. It's why the far right thrives and stokes up real racism.

The comment from the union guy is nothing but a bit daft and just shows his frustration at a disliked politician - nothing more.