Peter Barnes
A mate of a mate is Dr Gary James who is a passionate Man City fan and writer. He has nearly completed the the biography on Peter Barnes.
He assures me there is some very interesting stuff in it about his time at The Hawthorns.
If anyone is interested then it is worth buying through this link as it will be personalised to you and signed by the author and PB.

https://gjfootballarchive.com/category/peter-barnes/
(04-22-2021, 10:21 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: A mate of a mate is Dr Gary James who is a passionate Man City fan and writer. He has nearly completed the the biography on Peter Barnes.
He assures me there is some very interesting stuff in it about his time at The Hawthorns.
If anyone is interested then it is worth buying through this link as it will be personalised to you and signed by the author and PB.

Strange one Barnes. Superb on his day. A big part of the Albion side that finished 4th in 1981. Yet had too many days where he looked anonymous. Following Willie Johnston and Laurie didn't help him either 
https://gjfootballarchive.com/category/peter-barnes/
Unplayable on his day.

He's a football bloke through and through and had taken on his dad's overseas training ventures not so long ago. Great company too, is Peter.

Should be a good read, I'm in.
I've always thought he was greatly underrated by Baggies fans.
As already mentioned, unplayable on his day.
Very much suffered from following in from Willie and Laurie.
I seem to recall him take Ipswich apart during Villa's championship season....or is my memory playing tricks on me?
(04-23-2021, 06:46 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: I've always thought he was greatly underrated by Baggies fans.
I seem to recall him take Ipswich apart during Villa's championship season....or is my memory playing tricks on me?

No. You are right. He also tore Spurs apart as I recall that season. He often kept Laurie out of the England side. Frustrated me though. Utterly brilliant one game. Then anonymous the next couple. As you say though, underrated by Albion fans though. Younger fans rave about Koumas but he was equally inconsistent. Similar in terms that they both had outstanding ability.
(04-23-2021, 07:11 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:46 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: I've always thought he was greatly underrated by Baggies fans.

No. You are right. He also tore Spurs apart as I recall that season. He often kept Laurie out of the England side. Frustrated me though. Utterly brilliant one game. Then anonymous the next couple. As you say though, underrated by Albion fans though. Younger fans rave about Koumas but he was equally inconsistent. Similar in terms that they both had outstanding ability.
Except Koumas was a 2nd Division player.
Barnes, Willy, Laurie all first division (PL) level.

Think Barnes best performance was v Grimsby in the cup, 3rd round, start of 81. We won 3-0 and he absolutely ran the game.

He lost his way quite early on, and we did well to get a lot of money off Leeds. I recall him rocking up for Hull about 1987 when we'd gone down. He had the talent to win 50 England caps.
Was unsettled when his house in Stourbridge got burgled.
Too many fans talk about Koumas without qualifying that he did virtually nothing in the Premier League

I think he had the ability to, but had a career of underachievement relative to his ability. Because of that he cannot be put into the same category of those that had distinguished careers in the top flight
(04-23-2021, 07:20 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Think Barnes best performance was v Grimsby in the cup, 3rd round, start of 81. We won 3-0 and he absolutely ran the game.

He lost his way quite early on, and we did well to get a lot of money off Leeds. I recall him rocking up for Hull about 1987 when we'd gone down. He had the talent to win 50 England caps.

I remember that cup game vs Grimsby in 81. Barry Cowdrill scored a rare goal that day. Think Barnes and Bryan Robson got the others?