Big Sam poll.....
(04-05-2021, 07:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 05:46 PM)Sliced Wrote: Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

(04-05-2021, 04:56 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 04:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.

Two key words there. I’m not convinced he’ll be up for the slog through a Championship season.

You don't think he'll want to boost his reputation by taking us back up at the first time of asking?

Yes - but it will be entirely on Sam’s terms and I’m not sure what Sam will want will be what’s best for us. He’ll want a big salary and to recruit experienced heads for a shit or bust season which we just can’t afford to do IMO.

(04-05-2021, 05:46 PM)Sliced Wrote: Nick's gone!? What did he do? I thought he was being pretty level headed on the Allardyce situation

(04-05-2021, 04:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: There isn’t really any logical reason that Wilder is preferred to a committed and motivated Allardyce.

Two key words there. I’m not convinced he’ll be up for the slog through a Championship season.

You don't think he'll want to boost his reputation by taking us back up at the first time of asking?

Yes - but it will be entirely on Sam’s terms and I’m not sure what Sam will want will be what’s best for us. He’ll want a big salary and to recruit experienced heads for a shit or bust season which we just can’t afford to do IMO. 

Look at the players he brought in when he took WHU up... they were all 30 somethings on big wages on short term contracts. Not a risk I think we can take.

We are in a shit or bust situation whoever gets the job. We have two or long shot three seasons before we can get to the heady heights of mid table Championship obscurity or worse. 

We have an owner who wants to sell
A club reliant on parachute money 

We are one bad managerial appointment away from stagnating in the Championship with dwindling money and a very uncertain future. This is not a time to be pinning our hopes on the likes of Appleton and Wilder’s CV is less impressive than Allardyce s by some margin.
Wilder and Allardyce are about to have the same number of PL relegations on their CVs.
(04-05-2021, 07:51 PM)Duffers Wrote: Wilder and Allardyce are about to have the same number of PL relegations on their CVs.

That’s the best you’ve got?  Big Grin
(04-05-2021, 07:53 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:51 PM)Duffers Wrote: Wilder and Allardyce are about to have the same number of PL relegations on their CVs.

Wilder has never been caught drinking a pint of wine in a restaurant either.
(04-05-2021, 08:01 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Salt of the earth and practical, why fuck about with a bottle and glass when you can just pour most of it into one glass abs swig the first bit straight from the bottle?  Wink
(04-05-2021, 08:05 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 08:01 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Salt of the earth and practical, why fuck about with a bottle and glass when you can just pour most of it into one glass abs swig the first bit straight from the bottle?  Wink

To be fair that is how my wife does it.

Wilder

Oxford - Won Promotion from Confrence to Div 2 in 18 months

Northampton - Won promotion from Div 2 despite huge financial problems and players and staff not being paid.

Sheffield Utd (First Season) - Won Promotion from Div 1 to Championship with 100 points.

Sheffield Utd (second season) Won promotion to Premier League.

Sheffield Utd (third season) Finished 9th in Premier league despite lowest budget. 

Sheffield Utd (fourth season) Relegated after a poor season. 

Big Sam

Notts County 1997 - Promoted from Div 3

Bolton 2000 2000 - Promoted via play offs

West Ham 2012 - Promoted via play offs

West Brom - Relegated

Wilder already has more promotions than Big Sam in a much shorter career. Impressive CV if you ask me. Certainly no risk in giving Wilder the gig if you want automatic promotion.
(04-05-2021, 07:49 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-05-2021, 07:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Look at the players he brought in when he took WHU up... they were all 30 somethings on big wages on short term contracts. Not a risk I think we can take.

We are in a shit or bust situation whoever gets the job. We have two or long shot three seasons before we can get to the heady heights of mid table Championship obscurity or worse. 

We have an owner who wants to sell
A club reliant on parachute money 

We are one bad managerial appointment away from stagnating in the Championship with dwindling money and a very uncertain future. This is not a time to be pinning our hopes on the likes of Appleton and Wilder’s CV is less impressive than Allardyce s by some margin.

Whilst I agree we need to get promoted, I don’t think our situation is that desperate that we’ll HAVE to throw all our available funds at a short term shit or bust. The bulk of our squad is capable of playing wel at Champ level, and I think it would be short sighted to invest everything going for broke in year one, when we have the financial ability to supplement our squad with players that could at least return a profit should we not succeed.
(04-05-2021, 09:58 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Don't vote if we keep him or not, come on experts; State 1 who's better, 2 available, 3 who we can afford, and 4 if they'd come .For the first time in a long time, we received positive comments from Lineker and his crew!......... Answers not on a postcard, on this thread

I'm 50/50 on Allardyce. But i'd imagine that there are lots of managers in countries like Germany, Austria, Denmark, Sweden who would be interested in managing the Albion. No?

I haven't a clue who they are because I don't follow any of them. But it seems pretty obvious to me that the lure of the money and the chance of managing in the PL would be a big draw for gaffers - as it is for players - so it seems pretty likely to me that we could hire someone from out that way...

I don't see the need to trawl around the usual suspects currently (un)employed in the UK.
(04-05-2021, 08:22 PM)Peachy Wrote:

Wilder

Oxford - Won Promotion from Confrence to Div 2 in 18 months

Northampton - Won promotion from Div 2 despite huge financial problems and players and staff not being paid.

Sheffield Utd (First Season) - Won Promotion from Div 1 to Championship with 100 points.

Sheffield Utd (second season) Won promotion to Premier League.

Sheffield Utd (third season) Finished 9th in Premier league despite lowest budget. 

Sheffield Utd (fourth season) Relegated after a poor season. 

Big Sam

Notts County 1997 - Promoted from Div 3

Bolton 2000 2000 - Promoted via play offs

West Ham 2012 - Promoted via play offs

West Brom - Relegated

Wilder already has more promotions than Big Sam in a much shorter career. Impressive CV if you ask me. Certainly no risk in giving Wilder the gig if you want automatic promotion.

So basically Sam has got promoted at every club he's ever managed that wasn't in the top flight. Were all those at the first time of asking as well? Im asking cause I genuinely don't know.

In that case, why are you seemingly so against it? From your post above it seems both Wilder or Allardyce would be good options. Personally I'd prefer Wilder but both have cracking records in getting teams promoted