Some Albion fans are just Crazy
I don't particularly like Sam the person, I have some reservations about him being here long term because I'm not convinced he will want it due to his health and drive. However, for the 1st time this season I am seeing a team that looks like it knows what it's trying to achieve, looks better organised, looks like it has some belief and looks fitter.

These traits come from the coaching and management Sam is providing.
Is Madness a seal or a dingle?
(03-05-2021, 08:42 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: Is Madness a seal or a dingle?

Think Suggs is a Chelsea fan, don’t know about the others.
(03-04-2021, 11:01 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 10:56 PM)wba13 Wrote: Think what you like I’m for Sam staying because he is a better manager than anyone else out there who we could bring in.
He is also better than Bilic whom I originally wanted to stay  { I got that wrong }
Give credit where due if you cannot see that once Allardyce bought in the right players we have significantly improved and he deserves to build on this whatever league we’re in.
Whoever is in charge will have a clear out but I think we have a better chance of keeping a couple of the loan signings with Allardyce than anyone else.
Remember this we are now a lot better with the Allardyce signings than than we were under Bilic and his signings.

Agree.

For what it's worth I think most of us were taken in by Bilic; he's seems a really nice person who's bubbly and enthusiastic and charismatic. On the flip side we have Sam who I don't particularly like as a person, a bit dour and dull but is a far superior football manager.

Good leaders are often not popular - SAF for instance but we'd have him (of old) in an instant!
Good football manager, his record confirms that and he makes it look simple which is a skill in itself.

Identify weaknesses in a team, bring in players to address those weaknesses. Organise the team defensively in the first instance to stop shipping goals. Next stage is to find some goals from somewhere.

I've said it before but he reminds me of SGM in this approach. And regardless of how this season pans out, after the horror show of our summer recruitment, i'd like to see what Dowling and BS could come up with over a full window.

There will be no begging involved, but the key will be his desire to stay. If we put together a nice bonus package for promotion maybe he'll feel like getting his feet under the table for one last job.
(03-05-2021, 07:56 AM)richbaggie Wrote: I don't particularly like Sam the person, I have some reservations about him being here long term because I'm not convinced he will want it due to his health and drive. However, for the 1st time this season I am seeing a team that looks like it knows what it's trying to achieve, looks better organised, looks like it has some belief and looks fitter.

I haven't got anything personally against Allardyce and i think he is very obviously a very good manager and coach, the difference in the team now and the one he inherited is stark.

Sounds like there is a but coming and there is.

But i don't want him here long term. Not sure it ends well for teams who employ him on a long term basis. Bolton and Blackburn being the obvious examples.  It seems to me that he doesn't leave behind a culture and an infrastructure at a club, that can be continued by other managers, and there is inevitably a decline. Nor does he seem to trust young and inexperienced players. Understandable to a point, but in the modern game improving players to sell on and provide another revenue stream is essential for clubs of our size.

I have no doubt if he was at the club next season we would have a very good chance of being promoted, and  think he will want to stay (as long as he can get the players he wants), not sure that n the long term this would be best for the club . I think the club is in a position where there other managers/coaches would be able to get us promoted and with better long term prospects.
(03-05-2021, 09:23 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(03-05-2021, 07:56 AM)richbaggie Wrote: I don't particularly like Sam the person, I have some reservations about him being here long term because I'm not convinced he will want it due to his health and drive. However, for the 1st time this season I am seeing a team that looks like it knows what it's trying to achieve, looks better organised, looks like it has some belief and looks fitter.

I haven't got anything personally against Allardyce and i think he is very obviously a very good manager and coach, the difference in the team now and the one he inherited is stark.

Sounds like there is a but coming and there is.

But i don't want him here long term. Not sure it ends well for teams who employ him on a long term basis. Bolton and Blackburn being the obvious examples.  It seems to me that he doesn't leave behind a culture and an infrastructure at a club, that can be continued by other managers, and there is inevitably a decline. Nor does he seem to trust young and inexperienced players. Understandable to a point, but in the modern game improving players to sell on and provide another revenue stream is essential for clubs of our size.

I have no doubt if he was at the club next season we would have a very good chance of being promoted, and  think he will want to stay (as long as he can get the players he wants), not sure that n the long term this would be best for the club . I think the club is in a position where there other managers/coaches would be able to get us promoted and with better long term prospects.

I see your point Shabby.

However, I think with Bolton and Blackburn their main issues have been ownership and the decisions made by those owners.

Also your final words about "long-term projects".

There are no long term projects in football anymore, for any clubs other than the wealthy. If things are going well, clubs will claim that it's all part of a bigger plan, but as soon as things start to go wrong, they'll sack the manager and go with what sticks.

As for developing young players, aside from the fact Allardyce likes O'Shea, fans are massive hypocrites on this. They like idea of developing young players...until they make a mistake or two and then it's "Get rid!".
BFS is the Donald Trump of football, dodgy as a person , but gets the job done.
Are you saying big Donald trump drinks gravy ?
(03-05-2021, 10:17 AM)LIMABAGGIE Wrote: BFS is the Donald Trump of football, dodgy as a person , but gets the job done.

I could just imagine Sam inciting us all to storm the glass doors at the injustice of it all. Big Grin