Allardyce and our defence
(02-10-2021, 03:57 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Under BFS we played free scoring arsenal and Leeds that nearly every shot they had they scored more or less superb goals.

Come on.

We’ve been pathetic under Fat Sam.

He’s made us worse.
Have a look back at the goals we conceded against Leeds and arsenal and even man City 99% of them were fantastic goals......dont have to hate BFS to see it..... I'm one to get on the players backs and the manager but sometimes you have to admit they were very good goals.
Goals conceded due to inviting pressure from the opposition constantly.
I’ve got to say that this is the worst defence we have had in our Premier League history.Nothing was done to improve it in the summer and we some how managed to make the situation even worse.Hegazi who at least had played in the league was sold and in came Ivanovic to somehow make the situation a disaster.Bartley has all of a sudden become the most reliable we have just because he gives us some sort of presence but please don’t tell me he’s any good.Ajayi has struggled stepping up a level and the right back position is shared out because nobody has played well consistently there.O’Shea I feel sorry for and for a young player he seems to of been thrown under the bus at times.Townsend has done ok but the less said about no heart Gibbs the better.Add the fact the defence has had no protection from any of the midfield then we were a recipe for disaster.Big overhaul needed in the summer me thinks.
Huggybear Wrote:I’ve got to say that this is the worst defence we have had in our Premier League history.Nothing was done to improve it in the summer and we some how managed to make the situation even worse.Hegazi who at least had played in the league was sold and in came Ivanovic to somehow make the situation a disaster.Bartley has all of a sudden become the most reliable we have just because he gives us some sort of presence but please don’t tell me he’s any good.Ajayi has struggled stepping up a level and the right back position is shared out because nobody has played well consistently there.O’Shea I feel sorry for and for a young player he seems to of been thrown under the bus at times.Townsend has done ok but the less said about no heart Gibbs the better.Add the fact the defence has had no protection from any of the midfield then we were a recipe for disaster.Big overhaul needed in the summer me thinks.
Good post. For me it isn't so much the defence though, it is the amount of opposition players turning up unmarked in our box. That first Spurs goal was ridiculous. It's difficult on the telly to see the total picture but Ajayi was pulled into the middle and Sawyers just stopped tracking Kane. Harry Kane FFS!!! It's easy to blame the manager but even on a sunday morning the air would have been blue after that.
It'll be interesting how we shape up now we have some options in midfield.
"it is the amount of opposition players turning up unmarked in our box"

That a great phrase
(02-10-2021, 06:37 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Have a look back at the goals we conceded against Leeds and arsenal and even man City 99% of them were fantastic goals......dont have to hate BFS to see it..... I'm one to get on the players backs and the manager but sometimes you have to admit they were very good goals.

So when we conceded with Slav in charge it’s because he’s a poor manager and when we concede with Sam in charge, its because every goal we’ve conceded is a Worldie? Come on.
I reckon we conceded goals because we are playing far better teams than the one we have.
(02-10-2021, 08:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I reckon we conceded goals because we are playing far better teams than the one we have.

Said before that worse squads than this one have survived in the Premier League by being organised, committed and showing no lack of strength, courage or desire.

Our players aren’t as good as many in the league, that’s without doubt. However they also the intangible characteristics than can help make up for technical deficiencies.

Neither Bilic or Allardyce have been able to instill these into the squad.
(02-10-2021, 08:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I reckon we conceded goals because we are playing far better teams than the one we have.

Ok, let's take the same teams that Bilic and Allardyce managed against. 

Fulham, Man City, Sheff Utd, Spurs - 4 goals conceded under Bilic
Fulham, Man City, Sheff Utd, Spurs - 11 goals conceded under Allardyce

Defensively we've become worse. We can all talk about how the players aren't good enough but you can't tell me you watched Fulham first half and think that's a side that's been coached and drilled to the best of their abilities?

And losing 5-0 to a Leeds side with basically the same players who we had two competitive games with the season before?