The license fee
I find it very interesting that's it's often the multiple flag wavers on Twatter who seem intent on undermining and ridding us of one of the last Great British institutions! A news and entertainment corporation that cannot be bought by an individual with intent to influence.

It also allows some creativity outside of the mainstream, unreliant on making money from dot and this unearths some real gems who go onto do more. I can't disagree that it flies against logic for it to remain an obligation but I personally hope to see it fight on.
Got to go IMO. I never watch a thing on bbc so I don’t wish to pay (even though I have to as I watch live sky sports). The excuse about things like the olympics is lame IMO, and the coverage is garbage for stuff like that these days anyway, with an absolute ton of cringey studio waffle rather than actual sport. 

It’s quite funny how those that like the bbc often tell those that don’t how good it is for the nation. It’s not for me, I don’t watch it, and I don’t wish to pay for it. But I have to because I watch sky sports. Ridiculous!
The BBC frustrates me for a number of reasons and, at times infuriates.

However. Its the envy of the world and rightly so.

Its pros far outway the cons and its value is excellent.
(02-09-2021, 09:27 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: The BBC frustrates me for a number of reasons and, at times infuriates.

However. Its the envy of the world and rightly so.

Its pros far outway the cons and its value is excellent.

The envy of the world? Really? I doubt many in the world give a toss about it.

And again, for a lot of people there are no pros. For those that like it, subscribe! It’s value is not excellent if you don’t use it. It’s a tax for nothing.
(02-09-2021, 08:47 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(02-09-2021, 08:38 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is this where I post #defund the BBC whilst getting a stiffy at the thought of Fox ahem sorry GB News channel? A channel I’m sure that will be impartial and tell the truth.

Huge fan of the BBC myself. Quality TV, which leads the world.

Issue is its news reporting, which is alienating many. The stories are truthful, but many complain of giving the spotlight on left of centre/extreme liberal stories. I can see why they get such criticism.
However, the world would be a far far poorer place without the Beeb.

You think the BBC news service focuses on extreme left wing stories. Really?

I would point out 2 things 
1 - The BBC like a lot of mainstream tv/radio concentrate on stories first raised by the print media, which is in the main, not overwhelmingly, takes a right/centre right view on current affairs.
2 - Take a listen to those left wing channels such as Novara Media and The Canary, which do take a left wing perspective and then contrast that to the BBC.

The idea that the BBC has a left wing or liberal bias, i believe in the main arises because they do not replicate Newspapers such as The Daily Mail . As is their right, they do take a partisan view of current affairs, so they cannot be seen as neutral.

There is a lot wrong these days with the BBC's news service, bias isn't one of its faults.
Attenborough,
World leading coverage of live sporting events (Olympics, World Cups/Euros, Wimbledon, etc)
Glastonbury coverage,
BBC Radio (especially 6 Music)
BBC Drama,
Match of the Day,
CeeBeebees (a fucking lifesaver sometimes)
The online content,

For these reasons and more I’m happy to pay.
The BBC's funding is anachronistic in an era of mass paid for content and the License Fee can't last beyond the next renewal. Ask your kids how much BBC content they watch and on which devices and you'll realise it's a burning bridge. It's become abundantly clear durnig lockdown how little BBC content we watch - kids are always on Netflix / Prime, at the weekends me and Mrs P binge watch the same. I've gave up BBC TV news and current affairs years ago as I'm sick and tired of half a story from a sanitised editorial line. Essentially, I'd pay you for Radio 4 - in fact I'd pay more if they got rid of the appalling 6:30 "comedy" slot - but that's it - what else is there?
(02-09-2021, 09:38 AM)Duffers Wrote: Attenborough,
World leading coverage of love sporting events (Olympics, World Cups/Euros, Wimbledon, etc)
Glastonbury coverage,
BBC Radio (especially 6 Music)
BBC Drama,
Match of the Day,
CeeBeebees (a fucking lifesaver sometimes)
The online content,

For these reasons and more I’m happy to pay.

And that’s why it should be subscription. My list is literally nil, apart from maybe radio wm in the car about 2 hours a year.

I tell a lie, I do watch some of Wimbledon, but the coverage gets worse every year with sue barker fawning and giggling none stop.
Amazing that after a year of seeing how important the BBC is to get daily messages across to the nation there are still people hat don't see the value of having a dedicated national broadcaster. £160 for the full year of everything on two TV channels plus multiple online and radio stations seems too be a problem whilst paying between £500 and a grand for subscription TV is ok. Not everyone can afford Sky, Virgin or BT and less than £15 a month covers a great source of info and entertainment.
(02-09-2021, 09:40 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Amazing that after a year of seeing how important the BBC is to get daily messages across to the nation there are still people hat don't see the value of having a dedicated national broadcaster. £160 for the full year of everything on two TV channels plus multiple online and radio stations seems too be a problem whilst paying between £500 and a grand for subscription TV is ok. Not everyone can afford Sky, Virgin or BT and less than £15 a month covers a great source of info and entertainment.

Pensioners would beg to differ