Racist abuse to Romaine Sawyers
(01-29-2021, 02:39 PM)Fido Wrote: The point is though because some shyster sends a racist, personal message then should all previous posts about the player be retracted? I don't know, it all seems a little superficial to me, that's all. It's a message board where we post shite and vent our spleens, that's all.

I agree with Derek and said myself the other day that when some fans decide on the scapegoat the intensity builds and builds to the point where it goes beyond rational and fair criticism and reaches the point where they almost want the player to fail so they can get stuck into them. Sawyers, IMO, has reached that stage now where everything is his fault regardless of whether he was actually to blame or not.

We’ve seen it with so many players down the years.
Ah, good ol' Crisp Packet Hands
This is Cyrille Regis's club.

That's my message to the culprit and all I have to say on the matter.
(01-29-2021, 02:54 PM)Ossian Wrote: This is Cyrille Regis's club.

Absolutely.
I agree with Derek H. Criticism of players often goes too far. I loved it when Cantona leapt the wall to put some manners on that gobby sod. The easy access anyone now has to public comments means that unfortunately, some idiots don't see any difference between personal criticism and racist abuse, neither of which are to be encouraged. I have never liked moaning about individual players publicly although on a matchday me and my family and mates will slag off their abilities privately in the pub or wherever. Be honest, what possible good comes out of publicly calling out a players ability?
One thing we should remember is that Sawyers does give his best, but he is simply struggling with the intensity of the game at this level. He is a Baggie after all. This numpty should be named and shamed and made to personally apologise, he really isn't what I want to see at our club.
(01-29-2021, 02:56 PM)baggiebloke Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 02:54 PM)Ossian Wrote: This is Cyrille Regis's club.

Absolutely.

+1. Who ever it was is scum.
(01-29-2021, 02:44 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 02:39 PM)Fido Wrote: The point is though because some shyster sends a racist, personal message then should all previous posts about the player be retracted? I don't know, it all seems a little superficial to me, that's all. It's a message board where we post shite and vent our spleens, that's all.

I agree with Derek and said myself the other day that when some fans decide on the scapegoat the intensity builds and builds to the point where it goes beyond rational and fair criticism and reaches the point where they almost want the player to fail so they can get stuck into them. Sawyers, IMO, has reached that stage now where everything is his fault regardless of whether he was actually to blame or not.

We’ve seen it with so many players down the years.

Yep, I think some people are losing sight of criticism and way ott criticism. No player should be above it, but it does get ridiculous sometimes when a certain player is getting abuse, be that racist or otherwise, rather then fair criticism.
There is no place in life for racism.

It won’t take the police long to track him down, maybe 1 day tops and he will receive the judicial sentence he deserves.
Great to see the unanimous condemnation of this moron, both here and elsewhere.
I think some are right that the constant escalation of criticism has increased the odds, at the very least, of it descending into racism. Especially with the hard of thinking. "How can I trump the last comment"?
We should lay off him.

Added...it looks like the knee taking/ no to racism agenda has had a big effect. Think back a few years..!
(01-29-2021, 12:06 PM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 12:00 PM)rsbaggy2 Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 11:42 AM)Crossbar11 Wrote: Have we actual proof its from a Albion fan

Whoever it is needs to be bought to book. Let's not kid ourselves that our club does not have our fair share of these types of neanderthals. 

Been a season ticket holder for over 30 years now ... primarily in the BRE but now East stand. I have experienced bigots in that time, some personal abuse too. I am proud of my religion and my appearance reflects that. I did not expect my ''headwear' to be the target for someone to aim vile comments from ''fellow'' BRE fans.

That makes for very sad reading RS. There really are some total twats about. All of the very best to you and yours chap.
Thanks for your kind words Guns. Can't say I am fully over it ...it's always in the back of my mind. However, my love for the club is a constant and the legacy of Batson, Cunningham, Regis et al ensures that love remains strong. Albion till I die!