The Cricket
(01-15-2021, 10:24 AM)UCEbaggie Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 10:15 AM)Poppy’s dad Wrote:
(01-14-2021, 11:07 AM)Fido Wrote: Looks lovely. Can people see the whole field from the fort?

I was lucky enough to go in 2012, I absolutely loved it there, friendliest people you will ever find, Galke is a stunning location for cricket, had a few issues with the ‘ barmy army’ but nothing that spoiled my time there, moved to Colombo for the second test which is a bustling city, we stayed an hour away in a place called Negombo it was amazing there, hotel was luxurious, only problem was the venue was changed to a very small ground for centenary reasons which made it very hard to get to but we managed to get on the train with the locals and that was an experience in itself !! KP scored 151 and we won comfortably, got some great pics of my friends and me with the players, all in all a wonderful trip only two drawbacks, getting a cold beer can be hard at times, they just can’t cope with the England fans thirst levels and the transfer to Galle from the airport is three hours plus.

What were the issues with the 'Barmy Army'?

We were on the fort in Galle when Trotty scored a fantastic ton sadly in a losing cause, as he hit his 100th run me and my mates all avid Bears fans gave a mahoosive ‘yoooooo Beeeear’ to him, I then had a tap on the shoulder by this chap with a plumb in his mouth, he then thought he would quote the barmy army bible to me that we don’t ‘sing or shout’ for individual teams just England... to which I not so subtly told him where to go, after play we went to a charity event organised by the BA and I will say they do fantastic work in that regards, but this fella recognised us and became agitated that we were mingling with his sort, my mate albeit a villa fan but a very big and strong villa fan got a tad wound up and it was a good thing we left for another bar when we did !! During our stay there we met several of the BA some were great company (billy cooper trumpet player especially) but on the whole we found em pompous and lacking any serious cricket knowledge, as one of the higher ranking members put it ‘stock brokers on a beano’
I've travelled to many an England away test and yep, you're not really meant to give it the big un for the counties, just their thing

All in all they're a great bunch, was better when it first started as it's now a global company turning over millions, started off with a few lads selling T-Shirts

I've played cricket for them against the Aussies which was an amazing experience, helped by some wickets and some runs on my part, been to quite a few of their shin digs over the years and they offer a great package to people going abroad for the first time with England

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(01-15-2021, 12:00 PM)Cuzer Wrote: I've travelled to many an England away test and yep, you're not really meant to give it the big un for the counties, just their thing

All in all they're a great bunch, was better when it first started as it's now a global company turning over millions, started off with a few lads selling T-Shirts

I've played cricket for them against the Aussies which was an amazing experience, helped by some wickets and some runs on my part, been to quite a few of their shin digs over the years and they offer a great package to people going abroad for the first time with England

Cuzer

Do you still play any league cricket Cuz?
(01-15-2021, 12:00 PM)Cuzer Wrote: I've travelled to many an England away test and yep, you're not really meant to give it the big un for the counties, just their thing

Cuzer

‘Your not meant to give it the big un’ !! I weren’t part of the Barmy Army clique, I would have appreciated it if he had asked that before trying to tell me a grown man what to do on a holiday I had paid a lot of money for !! I remember them in the early days and yes you are right it is now a multi million pound business but in doing that I think they have lost their identity to a degree, I’m sure there are many many good souls within their ranks but I can only speak as I find. On another matter have you ever been to Cape Town ?? That’s my next wish
I would sympathise but any Albion fan who somehow ends up a Bears fan deserves everything they get

Wink
(01-15-2021, 12:59 PM)Poppy’s dad Wrote:

Cuzer

‘Your not meant to give it the big un’ !! I weren’t part of the Barmy Army clique, I would have appreciated it if he had asked that before trying to tell me a grown man what to do on a holiday I had paid a lot of money for !! I remember them in the early days and yes you are right it is now a multi million pound business but in doing that I think they have lost their identity to a degree, I’m sure there are many many good souls within their ranks but I can only speak as I find. On another matter have you ever been to Cape Town ?? That’s my next wish

Oh the bloke who piped up is clearly a twat, it's a free country to say whatever you like. If a Worcester player got a ton I'd pipe up no doubt knowing me with 15 pints inside me....alas you've more chance of an Albion win that a Worcester player making the England set up

Capetown yeah, great place, Durban....fuck me avoid like the plague, great cricket venue and we won as for the rest of the place, rather have a night out on the Soho Road

Cuzer

(01-15-2021, 12:14 PM)UCEbaggie Wrote:

Cuzer

Do you still play any league cricket Cuz?

Nah mate, was offered a YTS at Worcestershire when I was 15, got bucket loads of runs and wickets for Kiddy and Victoria when I was a kid and by 18 had pretty much packed it all in. Wobbled around on a football pitch until I was in my 40's but a much better cricketer but enjoyed football more

Played the odd 6 a side event and charity game over the years but that's about it

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
"alas you've more chance of an Albion win that a Worcester player making the England set up"

Moeen was due to play in this series if not for Covid!
(01-15-2021, 01:11 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: I would sympathise but any Albion fan who somehow ends up a Bears fan deserves everything they get

Wink

I know, I get this all the time, but I was born and raised in smethwick, a mates dad took us to the bears one Sunday afternoon, John player league it was, big John Jameson smashed the ball all over the place, that began the love affair with the bears, I was a member for years and have travelled the country far and wide watching them, had some amazing days and my heart broke a few times, the Dermot Reeves years were the most special ones, so many lords finals and a few wins against the pears, to be fair the pears have had the better of us recently, cricket and Albion are my passions
Seal-Bears causing bother?

Good Lord.

Its just not cricket.
TBF, there's so many travel with the Barmy Army you can't really judge them all the same. Sounds like you just met a twat is all. I should add, it winds me up a bit when the Yorkshire contingent start banging on about their lot. It isn't a bad rule! I keep clear of the BA because they are normally given the worst seats and as many of the home countries don't sell out, for a few coppers more you get a better view.