Townsend Stats
Last season for a while he was the player with the lowest number of goals conceded per game when on the pitch, in the end it was Berardi of Leeds.

I know there are other things at play but also this season our number of goals conceded when he plays vs when he doesn't is really something to behold.

With Townsend:
Played 8 Conceded 10 Points 6

Without Townsend
Played 9 Conceded 29 Points 2

I know some seem to have questions about his ability but presumably it's based largely on this perception of him being a League One player. The fact is we're much better with him in the team than without.
He is the one player with the most pre-conceived notions about him that I've ever seen supporting the Albion. Even now, rather than dismiss him as a 'League 1 player' many will still patronisingly refer to him along the lines of, 'tries hard, limited ability'. Its like there's a memory wipe after every game in which he plays well.

he gets in my first XI ahead of Gibbs every time who as far as I can see offers very little that Towsend doesn't. I also think Townsend is a better crosser of the ball than Gibbs.

When we go down, he'll be one of the best full backs in the Championship and one we should work hard to keep hold of.
Good player. I’ll be very happy with him as regular left back in the champ next season.
He's impressed me this season. I think the Championship is his level but he improved under Slav without a doubt.
(01-05-2021, 02:48 PM)Sliced Wrote: Last season for a while he was the player with the lowest number of goals conceded per game when on the pitch, in the end it was Berardi of Leeds.

I know there are other things at play but also this season our number of goals conceded when he plays vs when he doesn't is really something to behold.

With Townsend:
Played 8 Conceded 10 Points 6

Without Townsend
Played 9 Conceded 29 Points 2

I know some seem to have questions about his ability but presumably it's based largely on this perception of him being a League One player. The fact is we're much better with him in the team than without.

Top stattoing!
(01-05-2021, 02:55 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: He is the one player with the most pre-conceived notions about him that I've ever seen supporting the Albion. Even now, rather than dismiss him as a 'League 1 player' many will still patronisingly refer to him along the lines of, 'tries hard, limited ability'. Its like there's a memory wipe after every game in which he plays well.

he gets in my first XI ahead of Gibbs every time who as far as I can see offers very little that Towsend doesn't. I also think Townsend is a better crosser of the ball than Gibbs.

When we go down, he'll be one of the best full backs in the Championship and one we should work hard to keep hold of.

Completely agree. Stunning amounts of pre-conception. The sort of player that could have 10 really good performances in a row but if the 11th is a bit shaky then he's a league one player again
(01-05-2021, 02:55 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: He is the one player with the most pre-conceived notions about him that I've ever seen supporting the Albion. Even now, rather than dismiss him as a 'League 1 player' many will still patronisingly refer to him along the lines of, 'tries hard, limited ability'. Its like there's a memory wipe after every game in which he plays well.

He's out of contract in June.  Not heard anything about a new deal but then I guess we wouldn't.  

Maybe it's a case of wait and see where we are?    Huh
I would imagine all contract talks are more or less on hold at the minute? I imagine if we tried to negotiate new ones now players would be very keen to avoid flex-down...
He's also not a massive fanny like Gibbs.
Not even in BFS's squad.

Like Kroc, when he starts we seem to do better (performance not necessarily points wise), only really Saints and Fulham are Townsend's black marks...