Inavovich
(12-30-2020, 03:00 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: Hegazi is almost exactly the kind of player we'll be now be looking to sign

Worse sale in recent years

Ivanovic is appalling & so obviously well past it. Watch him for Leeds 5th goal.

When you go up intention is to buy better players not worse ones

He's still on the pitch, nearly finished turning now.
Chelsea fans said that Ivanovic was on the decline five years ago when he joined a very average league. You'd have thought we'd have learned after Lugano and Anelka....
We never learn (although when Ashworth was recruting these were the types of players we avoided!)

You never know by the end of the season we might have added Niassi, Delph and Carroll to that list
(12-30-2020, 05:12 PM)Gzbaggy Wrote: We never learn (although when Ashworth was recruting these were the types of players we avoided!)

You never know by the end of the season we might have added Niassi, Delph and Carroll to that list

Imagine......
(12-30-2020, 05:21 PM)Noibla Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 05:12 PM)Gzbaggy Wrote: We never learn (although when Ashworth was recruting these were the types of players we avoided!)

Imagine......

Aaron Lennon? Big Grin
(12-30-2020, 10:37 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: He can perform as part of a 5, with others doing his running. This takes a player out of midfield where we are lightweight already.

The alternative is we adopt a Pulisesque deep defensive line, and he plays like GMac, but again this doesn't suit us.

Another inappropriate signing, eating into our meagre budget.

GMac was very tall, 6'5" or so, big advantage in the aerial duels. And even on his last legs he had a bit of pace about him. Ivanovic doesn't look as good as GMac did age for age.

It may have been a cheap signing, but also lazy. As a rule I don't believe managers always succeed when they try to buy quality and influence. For instance Fletcher worked out very well and Barry was (IMO) little short of disastrous. Better coaches have something of their own to instill into players
It's interesting that most of the focus seems to be on centre halves as if it's the panacea and not on central midfield and the offensive side, width/wingers, creating chances for Grant etc..

We couldn't put two passes together yesterday.  This for me screams out for Pereira and Krovinovic playing in front of maybe Gallagher who is quick and likes a battle. 

We need a target man for Grant to play off.  If we could get Deeney or someone similar (not Carroll) on an 18 month contract I'd snatch their hands off.   Grant and Diangana playing off him could be effective.  If not maybe Austin who did well at City and Toon.  

I would play Dara at right of the three maybe Furlong further forward if anywhere.  Kipre should be given a chance to see what he's made of.  If he can't force his way into this side at the moment then clearly not a lot. 

Arse team

Sam

Dara     Ajayi     Kipre    

Gallagher 
 Furlong    Kroc    Pereira      Gibbs  

Austin   Grant
(12-30-2020, 12:10 PM)Sliced Wrote: Are we ok to point out that Hegazi was better?

Because he was. Absolutely miles better

We could have done with him yesterday would be a shoe in for a BFS side. Always thought he was our best CB but for some reasonSlav didn't rate him to much as he hardly played. When he did play last season Ajayi alongside him looked a far better player imho
(12-30-2020, 12:13 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 12:10 PM)Sliced Wrote: Are we ok to point out that Hegazi was better?

Because he was. Absolutely miles better

Did we sell Hegazi to fund Ivanovic's wages?

Despite Slav saying he wanted to keep Hegazi, he hardly played him.

What price another 12 months to Chris Brunt to keep this all together, with 15 mins off the bench?

Chris Brunt, doh mek me loff
Bartley did well last season at his level  (Championship) but I couldn't understand Slav picking him ahead of the superior Hegazi