Some are having a very good war...
OK, so my normally simple life has recently had a lot of issues to deal with. I'm neither looking for sympathy nor intending to reveal too much, I like the anonymity of this bored so will try to keep things brief and hopefully make a point  This month we've had a sudden, close, bereavement. Also, a separate serious family illness. In a time you need things to be straightforward,  (Sadly, I'm no stranger to sorting these things out), they turn out anything but.   First, it's a battle not to have Covid as cause of death, apparently this keeps procedure simple. (It absolutely wasn't Covid).  Next, a huge delay in getting a cause as hospitals/GPs (and particularly Admin), have to write to each other. Registration, normally a simple visit, now done by phone requiring a wait for an appointment and then the certificate is posted out in 3 to 5 days. You try getting anything done without this procedure.  Meanwhile, anyone rang a Drs lately?  No reply on the out of hours. Permanently engaged on the 8 till 6.  You can't even go and knock the door of the surgery.  All instructions say to go online. Again, useless. The App isn't great,  plus for an appointment it requires a selfie which then won't upload on the App and it isn't me in the photo that needs the appointment anyway. Next, finally the phone is answered with a promise the Dr will call back. Nothing.
This no face to face at these places might be ok if the rest of the population were all doing the same.  But no, I can't walk through the surgery door for an appointment but I can cross the road and walk around a supermarket? Obviously minimum wage earners don't need the same levels of safety. As the title says, while many are trying to make the best of a very bad situation, some are hiding behing closed doors content with being in semi lockdown for ever.
Well, rant over, and it wasn't as brief as I intended! This is life, 2020.
(12-21-2020, 11:12 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: OK, so my normally simple life has recently had a lot of issues to deal with. I'm neither looking for sympathy nor intending to reveal too much, I like the anonymity of this bored so will try to keep things brief and hopefully make a point  This month we've had a sudden, close, bereavement. Also, a separate serious family illness. In a time you need things to be straightforward,  (Sadly, I'm no stranger to sorting these things out), they turn out anything but.   First, it's a battle not to have Covid as cause of death, apparently this keeps procedure simple. (It absolutely wasn't Covid).  Next, a huge delay in getting a cause as hospitals/GPs (and particularly Admin), have to write to each other. Registration, normally a simple visit, now done by phone requiring a wait for an appointment and then the certificate is posted out in 3 to 5 days. You try getting anything done without this procedure.  Meanwhile, anyone rang a Drs lately?  No reply on the out of hours. Permanently engaged on the 8 till 6.  You can't even go and knock the door of the surgery.  All instructions say to go online. Again, useless. The App isn't great,  plus for an appointment it requires a selfie which then won't upload on the App and it isn't me in the photo that needs the appointment anyway. Next, finally the phone is answered with a promise the Dr will call back. Nothing.
This no face to face at these places might be ok if the rest of the population were all doing the same.  But no, I can't walk through the surgery door for an appointment but I can cross the road and walk around a supermarket? Obviously minimum wage earners don't need the same levels of safety. As the title says, while many are trying to make the best of a very bad situation, some are hiding behing closed doors content with being in semi lockdown for ever.
Well, rant over, and it wasn't as brief as I intended! This is life, 2020.

Tom I’m not sure having a Dr’s Surgery that people can turn up at and wait to see a Doctor say in a waiting room or consultancy room is a good idea. In certain circumstances then going into the Doctors will be necessary but at this time it shouldn’t be the norm. Surely the idea is to minimise the risk of infection to everyone? I’m not sure the focus of your frustration should be with medical staff. It’s not fair for n those working in supermarkets but there doesn’t seem much logic to the idea that because some cannot avoid the risk everyone else shouldn't try.
Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?
In fairness to my local docs, if you ring up bang on 8am you can usually get through within 10 mins.
sorry to hear all that. welcome to covid-central where everything we do is ruled by one illness, not a particularly virulent one either, at the cost of everything else,
(12-21-2020, 11:45 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: In fairness to my local docs, if you ring up bang on 8am you can usually get through within 10 mins.

That's the best way to get ours as well; not guaranteed but better than any other time of day. Pre-covid by far the best option was to book via the online system; it was the first thing to be 'closed until further notice'.

Tom, having had to deal with the fallout from a family bereavement over the last few months - doctors, registrars, banks, probate and more - you have my sympathy, which will be of no practical help. One thing I would say though is make time for yourself to have a break away from it, even if it's only a walk round your neighbourhood; trying to work on it dawn till dusk until it's all done will just grind you down.
(12-21-2020, 11:43 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?

I think it’s just the policy of that particular GP practice not the general rule. I didn’t want to come across as harsh and my sympathies to you and your family. I think we have to remember that in an ideal world no one would be put at as little risk as possible.
Derek Hardballs Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?

I think it’s just the policy of that particular GP practice not the general rule. I didn’t want to come across as harsh and my sympathies to you and your family. I think we have to remember that in an ideal world no one would be put at as little risk as possible.
Actually, after 3 days of trying we just had a breakthrough of sorts, medical side of things is as good as ever, although a faster response would have seen a much better outcome all around.  My point still remains, and this applies across all of the things I mentioned not simply the GPs,  some are content behind locked doors for no apparent reason. BTW, my visit to the doctors intercom (last resort),worked. But it isn't ideal to shout your business in front of a queue of pensioners standing outside in the rain all looking wistfully at an empty waiting room the size of the Smethwick End. Things appear to be made difficult in the hope you go away, (or fall through the cracks)?

Ossian Wrote:
Ted Maul Wrote:In fairness to my local docs, if you ring up bang on 8am you can usually get through within 10 mins.

That's the best way to get ours as well; not guaranteed but better than any other time of day. Pre-covid by far the best option was to book via the online system; it was the first thing to be 'closed until further notice'.

Tom, having had to deal with the fallout from a family bereavement over the last few months - doctors, registrars, banks, probate and more - you have my sympathy, which will be of no practical help. One thing I would say though is make time for yourself to have a break away from it, even if it's only a walk round your neighbourhood; trying to work on it dawn till dusk until it's all done will just grind you down.
Cheers Oss.
(12-21-2020, 01:21 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?

Actually, after 3 days of trying we just had a breakthrough of sorts, medical side of things is as good as ever, although a faster response would have seen a much better outcome all around.  My point still remains, and this applies across all of the things I mentioned not simply the GPs,  some are content behind locked doors for no apparent reason. BTW, my visit to the doctors intercom (last resort),worked. But it isn't ideal to shout your business in front of a queue of pensioners standing outside in the rain all looking wistfully at an empty waiting room the size of the Smethwick End. Things appear to be made difficult in the hope you go away, (or fall through the cracks)?

Ossian Wrote:
Ted Maul Wrote:In fairness to my local docs, if you ring up bang on 8am you can usually get through within 10 mins.

Cheers Oss.

Why do you want to put more people at risk because some already are? Surely places like supermarkets should be giving their staff greater protection rather than less to those who can work from home / away from the office?
(12-21-2020, 11:43 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Derek. I'm not asking to wait in a surgery. The issue could be minimised with a word down the phone, easy access to repeat prescriptions and by putting a plan in place. None of which appears within the scope of current arrangements. Also, I'm not having a go at medical staff, I just want some. It is the armies of faceless bureaucrats that are making everyone's life much more difficult. Again, how is their job any riskier than anyone working in any other service?

Tom I share your frustration, even when I manage to get past the reception team I now have to talk
with the clinical pharmacist not my doctor. I have great regard for the NHS as most of my family work
within it, but my local surgery has become a fortress over the past 6 months.