Phil Jones
(12-20-2020, 02:17 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 01:17 PM)Cunningham1979 Wrote: Phil Jones would instantly become our best Centre Half. Huge yes from me

Our two absolute standout deficiencies are at centre back & centre forward. We’ve somehow managed to bring players to the club in those positions that are worse or no better than last season.

Jones would be exactly what we need 

Only team not to score a header this season & 25% of goals conceded are headers.

This is the kind of statistic that tells you why Bilic had no chance of keeping us up. 

Promoted teams can level things up against better teams by using set pieces & height, but there was no evidence that the players knew what they were doing with corners, let alone Bilic having coaching them

Hi Tony.

(Thoroughly agree though BB - a very damning statistic)
No ones suggesting playing for CB’s ala Pulis, but you have to be pragmatic & have a game plan, something never had or was

Set pieces should contribute a significant proportion of goals - our approach to corners really made me wonder what players did on the training ground

This season and last, worst corners I’ve seen from an Albion team in 45 years
That was the most exciting time under Pulis, getting a corner.

We always knew we'd have a great chance of scoring.

As for now...
(12-20-2020, 02:50 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: No ones suggesting playing for CB’s ala Pulis, but you have to be pragmatic & have a game plan, something never had or was

Set pieces should contribute a significant proportion of goals - our approach to corners really made me wonder what players did on the training ground

And it's more damming when you realise Bartley, O'Shea, Ajayi and Ivanovic are all decent threats from set pieces.
As for Jones.

Not a fan, yes he had a lot of promise, but none of that is left in him now. I'm not sure he'd improve Derby tbh, positionally awful, rash tackles, very weird body positions. Overall, injuries have wrecked him.
(12-20-2020, 03:06 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: As for Jones.

Not a fan, yes he had a lot of promise, but none of that is left in him now. I'm not sure he'd improve Derby tbh, positionally awful, rash tackles, very weird body positions. Overall, injuries have wrecked him.

Don't talk sense Mon, the tide on here has now moved to apparently pragmatism. It's just another word for Pulis style, grind out results and ruin the club's reputation for another decade.

But hey, Ivanovic was the saviour and Grant looked a top striker a month or so back and now need replacing with the next has beens. It's the pragmatic way...best get used to it.

Agree, and 10 years of being played CB, MC, DMC, RB... he just doesn’t seem to have a clue what to do in any position any more.
(12-20-2020, 03:04 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 02:50 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: No ones suggesting playing for CB’s ala Pulis, but you have to be pragmatic & have a game plan, something never had or was

And it's more damming when you realise Bartley, O'Shea, Ajayi and Ivanovic are all decent threats from set pieces.

Exactly. Big tall lads and we were mucking about with short corners so the ball never got into the box. But at least it wasn't Pulis-like, so a chunk of our supporters lapped it up.
(12-20-2020, 03:13 PM)MassDebater Wrote:

Don't talk sense Mon, the tide on here has now moved to apparently pragmatism. It's just another word for Pulis style, grind out results and ruin the club's reputation for another decade.

But hey, Ivanovic was the saviour and Grant looked a top striker a month or so back and now need replacing with the next has beens. It's the pragmatic way...best get used to it.

Hey, I'm a big fan of pragmatic football. But that doesn't mean I want Jones here.
(12-20-2020, 03:14 PM)Squid Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 03:04 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

Exactly. Big tall lads and we were mucking about with short corners so the ball never got into the box. But at least it wasn't Pulis-like, so a chunk of our supporters lapped it up.

Those short corners were truly baffling. One game in pretty sure that's all we played