Is Starter's opposition worse than Corbyn's
Unfortunately Shabb, the flip side was that Corbyn also alienated too many voters in the midlands and north who previous Labour leaders had generally managed to keep onside.
(12-04-2020, 09:31 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 09:18 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Not bad considering he's done nothing. The Biden strategy.

Just looking and behaving like a grown up is in stark contrast to those we currently have government.

Yes, doing nothing. It's his best hope.
(12-04-2020, 03:08 PM)Ossian Wrote: Unfortunately Shabb, the flip side was that Corbyn also alienated too many voters in the midlands and north who previous Labour leaders had generally managed to keep onside.

Yes i understand that. Although what i would say is that this is not a process that started with Corbyn. Labour have been on a journey of losing support in the so called 'red wall' seats  since 1997. 

My point is that unless the Conservative support falls of a cliff, Labour is going to have to attract something north of 13m
votes at the next GE to stand a chance of winning. Alienating the younger voters who were attracted to the party in the last 5 years would make the task of getting 13m votes at the next GE almost impossible.

The ggod news for Starmer, is that i don't think these 'younger' voters will only vote for a party led by a Corbyn type. But at the same time i don't think Starmer should take their votes for granted.
Boundary reviews will also be good for 8-10 more Tory seats in the home counties.
(12-04-2020, 03:34 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 09:31 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 09:18 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Not bad considering he's done nothing. The Biden strategy.

Just looking and behaving like a grown up is in stark contrast to those we currently have government.

Yes, doing nothing. It's his best hope.

He's clearly doing something right, otherwise you wouldn't be on here gaslighting about him. 80 Seat majority for the morons you campaigned to get into office and you're still worried enough to comment about an opposition that holds no power at all.

Your biggest concern appears to be that you want someone too share the blame with when it unravels.
(12-07-2020, 10:09 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Your biggest concern appears to be that you want someone too share the blame with when it unravels.

You're confusing me with someone who cares about party politics anymore.

Gaslighting FFS? Big Grin  Merely stating the obvious, his best tactic is to keep his nose clean whilst the Tories implode and hope they don't elect a decent leader before the next election. I'm not sure what middle-of-the-road social democracy is supposed to deliver in excess of Boris's splurge anyway. Let's face it for fiscal hawks like me Corbyn might as well have won the election.
Like I say, doing enough right for you to comment on it  Wink
Social Democracy can't be delivered in 'splurges'. Many of our post-war problems can be attributed to an inability to visualise and then implement long-term strategies.

Just look at education, infrastructure, energy as examples.
(12-07-2020, 12:14 PM)Ossian Wrote: Social Democracy can't be delivered in 'splurges'. Many of our post-war problems can be attributed to an inability to visualise and then implement long-term strategies.

Thank goodness for that. We may regain some sense of fiscal (and monetary) discipline in time then.
(12-07-2020, 12:50 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 12:14 PM)Ossian Wrote: Social Democracy can't be delivered in 'splurges'. Many of our post-war problems can be attributed to an inability to visualise and then implement long-term strategies.

Thank goodness for that. We may regain some sense of fiscal (and monetary) discipline in time then.

Not if the Tories and Labour remain the two biggest parties.