The Return of Brexit
Covid has wrecked the economy anyhow might as well start from scratch......
(10-16-2020, 03:01 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Covid has wrecked the economy anyhow might as well start from scratch......

And make it harder by putting up barriers as well - good plan
I suspect we will get some type of deal, a worse deal than the one we had whilst in the EU but it’ll be hailed as some sort of jingoistic victory. The usual Union flag bunting etc.

If we don’t can we call the deal something like the Guam deal rather than the Australian style deal Johnson blusters on about. It would be just as accurate perhaps even more so.
(10-16-2020, 03:13 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I suspect we will get some type of deal, a worse deal than the one we had whilst in the EU but it’ll be hailed as some sort of jingoistic victory. The usual Union flag bunting etc.

If we don’t can we call the deal something like the Guam deal rather than the Australian style deal Johnson blusters on about. It would be just as accurate perhaps even more so.

Of course the financial cost of Brexit now will never be know because Covid will be used to excuse it all. We left the EU because the Tories got a bone on for the 15bn contribution to the EU we made each year. Yet the same Tories signed away 12bn on an absolute waste of time track and trace and then billions more on Covid measures. Beggars belief.
(10-16-2020, 04:15 PM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-16-2020, 03:13 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I suspect we will get some type of deal, a worse deal than the one we had whilst in the EU but it’ll be hailed as some sort of jingoistic victory. The usual Union flag bunting etc.

Of course the financial cost of Brexit now will never be know because Covid will be used to excuse it all. We left the EU because the Tories got a bone on for the 15bn contribution to the EU we made each year. Yet the same Tories signed away 12bn on an absolute waste of time track and trace and then billions more on Covid measures. Beggars belief.
57 % of Tory MPs voted remain.
82% of Cabinet ministers voted remain.
78% of junior ministers and whips voted remain.
The Prime Minister, the Chancellor, the Home Secretary, the Foreign Secretary plus 20 other cabinet ministers all campaigned and voted to remain.
Yet still we get this ‘ Tories; the party of Leave'.

It was £9 billion every year. Lethal pandemics do not come around every year. Or do you think we shouldn't be spending money on Covid measures?
So, is this the week that we get a delay to Brexit? Cummings stage managed (by Cummings) out of the way, Johnson portraying a strong leader making difficult decisions (it was Cummings holding him back) and in the interests of the economy asking fro an extension until the summer whilst we sort out the health of the nation.

All very theatrical so far - leaving by the front door with a box (fuck me, been watching too many Sunday afternoon movies) in front of the waiting press at just about evening news time for maximum effect. The usual masses lap it up but it will be interesting to see what news comes out this week now.
Nissan are closing their Sunderland plant. 7,000 jobs! Well done the mac an' tacs. 

[Image: Engxj-IW8AE6a06?format=jpg&name=large]
(11-24-2020, 08:48 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: Nissan are closing their Sunderland plant. 7,000 jobs! Well done the mac an' tacs. 

[Image: Engxj-IW8AE6a06?format=jpg&name=large]

Nissan dismisses reports it is set to close its Sunderland plant | Sunderland Echo
I saw this yesterday and thought that it is premature to talk about situations where there isn't a deal when it is still being negotiated. The report that you have linked strawman is a strange one because it doesn't actually report in it what the headline says. It talks about the alleged comment from an unnamed german manager and a previous statement about production plans but it doesn't actually report where Nissan have dismissed the comment.

I really hope that it doesn't happen.
(11-24-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote: I saw this yesterday and thought that it is premature to talk about situations where there isn't a deal when it is still being negotiated. The report that you have linked strawman is a strange one because it doesn't actually report in it what the headline says. It talks about the alleged comment from an unnamed german manager and a previous statement about production plans but it doesn't actually report where Nissan have dismissed the comment.

I really hope that it doesn't happen.

"We have spoken to Nissan tonight and they have dismissed the reports."

But who knows who is telling the truth