Up to Slaven now
(10-06-2020, 06:13 PM)Robbo2604 Wrote: Dean Smith was given near enough £150m, 38 games, and survived because VAR was turned off. By the sounds of it, we are giving Slaven a 5th of the budget and a handful of games.

He spunked enough to create 5 test tube babies.
(10-07-2020, 10:48 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 10:39 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 10:38 AM)baggie_ray Wrote: "Straightening the defence out" isn't necessarily that easy. Klopp could only sort his out by buying better defenders (such as Van Dyke) and a better goalkeeper.

Megson could only sort out our defence originally by buying better defenders and a decent keeper. It was only when Big Dave arrived that we stopped conceding goals because he was the player who met every cross into our box.

If your defenders don't have the ability (use whatever word you want here) to actually defend for the entire length of the match then it's hard to get them to do so. How many on here think Bartley, for example, isn't good enough? That is where we are at. Are our defenders from last season good enough? Have we bought better defenders in the window?

In all fairness Ray you’ve made good points. But so far we’ve not seen Cedric Kipré, Ivanovic and Hegazi at this level this season

We've sat through an entire season of Hegazi in the PL running around like he's wearing wellies.

Agreed, it amazes me how many have forgotten how bad hegazi was at times in the prem. I like him, he gives it his all, but the idea that he’s going to be a significant improvement on ajeyi and Bartley is optimistic IMO.
(10-07-2020, 10:54 AM)backsidebaggie Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 10:38 AM)baggie_ray Wrote: "Straightening the defence out" isn't necessarily that easy. Klopp could only sort his out by buying better defenders (such as Van Dyke) and a better goalkeeper.

Megson could only sort out our defence originally by buying better defenders and a decent keeper. It was only when Big Dave arrived that we stopped conceding goals because he was the player who met every cross into our box.

If your defenders don't have the ability (use whatever word you want here) to actually defend for the entire length of the match then it's hard to get them to do so. How many on here think Bartley, for example, isn't good enough? That is where we are at. Are our defenders from last season good enough? Have we bought better defenders in the window?

In all fairness Ray you’ve made good points. But so far we’ve not seen Cedric Kipré, Ivanovic and Hegazi at this level this season

We've sat through an entire season of Hegazi in the PL running around like he's wearing wellies.

Agreed, it amazes me how many have forgotten how bad hegazi was at times in the prem. I like him, he gives it his all, but the idea that he’s going to be a significant improvement on ajeyi and Bartley is optimistic IMO.

Interested to know how many goals we conceded from set pieces with him in the team
I think Slav has looked a little nervous this season so far just as I felt he was anxious at the run in of the last and it has affected his decision making again.
Putting aside the performance v Saints which is down to the players as much as the manager, I thought there was some odd selection/decisions made (Edwards selection/Change back to 4 in Defence/dropping Furlong to accommodate O'Shea etc).
He needs to find his feet IMO but he needs to do it soon because these next 3 games are vital and we need to get some points on the board.
If we are in the same position by then, he will be under real pressure and I really don't want that because he is a great bloke as well as the replacement calamities we have committed in the past and discussed above.

If we have a back 3, or back 4 containing Ajayi, Hegazi and Ivanovic, we shouldn't be losing a single aerial ball. 

Hegazi is apparently 1.95, Ajayi 1.93 and Ivanovic 1.86.... that's Pulis levels of monster back there.

(10-07-2020, 11:09 AM)Swagbaggie Wrote: I think Slav has looked a little nervous this season so far just as I felt he was anxious at the run in of the last and it has affected his decision making again.
Putting aside the performance v Saints which is down to the players as much as the manager, I thought there was some odd selection/decisions made (Edwards selection/Change back to 4 in Defence/dropping Furlong to accommodate O'Shea etc).
He needs to find his feet IMO but he needs to do it soon because these next 3 games are vital and we need to get some points on the board.
If we are in the same position by then, he will be under real pressure and I really don't want that because he is a great bloke as well as the replacement calamities we have committed in the past and discussed above.

I think the nervousness last season was there for all to see... Since lockdown began Slav has been a lot more cautious, and seems to think more pragmatic selections for will make us a more pragmatic side, when it just hasn't worked. 

Southampton was absolutely woeful, and he has to take as much blame as anyone the horror show, but he now has 2 weeks with majority of the squad, and will have Gibbs, Ivanovic, Gallagher and hopefully a couple others available for Burnley. If we repeat the same set up, start Sawyers and Livermore again, then we can grumble, but until then lets give him a little more time to sort this out.

He was new to the league and partnered with a thoroughly disinterested Jonny Evans. When he was with a motivated Craig Dawson, he actually did alright. He's good man marker too.
(10-06-2020, 06:13 PM)Robbo2604 Wrote: Dean Smith was given near enough £150m, 38 games, and survived because VAR was turned off. By the sounds of it, we are giving Slaven a 5th of the budget and a handful of games.

Smith spent £15m in January after being appointed, over £160m last season and a further £100m this summer - that's £275m, with a token £5m or so in sales.

In the same time frame we have made a profit of £4m + anything we get for Ferguson.
(10-07-2020, 11:15 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Smith spent £15m in January after being appointed, over £160m last season and a further £100m this summer - that's £275m, with a token £5m or so in sales.

In the same time frame we have made a profit of £4m + anything we get for Ferguson.

The point is well made - figures slightly different mind

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-...=&intern=0

£217m spent for Villa over 3 years
(10-07-2020, 11:30 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 11:15 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

The point is well made - figures slightly different mind

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-...=&intern=0

£217m spent for Villa over 3 years
God, I fucking hate Villa. I'm clearly not going to like them anymore over the course of this season either!

When I eventually watched MOTD2, and their game against Liverpool, I was actually swearing at the screen when Dean Smith was interviewed afterwards. Smarmy Villa twat.
And look how much shit they spunked that money on. They sadly got more right this summer.