UK Covid death toll
They have four years to rewrite history and deny they even voted in 2019 or 2016
(09-29-2020, 01:12 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Those that voted for them will never admit to themselves it’s been handled poorly, if they did it means they might have dropped a bollock believing them on other things like erm Brexit

Really?

I'll admit that the Tories have handled both Covid and Brexit appallingly.

Most people I know who voted Tory would agree with me - including several members, councillors and MPs.
Brexit was always going to be a car crash - a binary poll to decide a multi-faceted outcome. It's about time common sense took over on that and either packed it all in or handed it over to someone competent
baggy1 Wrote:This is going to be a very important couple of weeks, all of the stats are showing that the death rate is being kept down by the measures we are putting in place with social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks. And although the numbers are rising there isn't as bad a jump as there was in March / April..... yet, and this is the important part, if we can get through the next couple of weeks without a major spike then we can say it is under control using measures.

The other thing that this will highlight is how some simple measures put in place in March could have made this a completely different picture. Also if they had managed to introduce some form of track and trace then by now we could be virtually back to normal. Complete balls up from the start and because of their gross incompetence they haven't had a clue how to fix it.

Cheers for this post, Baggie1. A summary in a nutshell, something which appears beyond the press currently. The real telling part is the death rate which you suggest is being kept down by the safety measures.  An American scientist on R4 today even suggested  there may be another benefit to wearing masks. Viral Load reduction possibly resulting in an accidental immunity, or  an asymptomatic response. I'm always looking for  positives but  they  are thin on the ground this year and I take them where I can.
Viral load has been talked about many times in connection with this virus. It seems that many of the worst infections have occurred to people who have been in party-type situations; several after skiing for example with apres ski drinkathons etc., where large numbers of people crammed together in late February/early March in the Alps and so on. It would seem that multiple exposure does increase risk so it would make sense that mask- wearing does confer some lowering of risk. The few medic friends I have seem to agree but then what do they know? And I'm not being sarcastic.
After a week of high drama when the POTUS was infected by the left who put coronavirus on his microphone for the debate it's worth checking the figures before the weekend (all of these just for England):

Patients in hospital as at the 1st Oct was 1,995 compared with 1,615 on the 25th. The doubling period is about 2 weeks as it was 988 on the 18th. It's worth pointing out that the figure was 2,092 on the 21st March which had risen from 1,541 the day before. This time it has taken about 8 days to increase by roughly the same (500) which indicates the spread is much slower this time.

Patients on ventilators as at the 1st Oct was 285, again a slow increase and doubled since the 20th Sept (142) so about 11 days - again much slower than March / April and well below the numbers at the time (they did only start reporting on these on the 1st April when the amount was 1,494) 

Other figures are that admissions to hospital are hovering around the 300 mark with slight ups and downs but no major increase.

Again the figures don't support the measures being imposed. We've had an increase around the time that schools and universities go back which should have been expected but this isn't on the scale of earlier in the year..... again I'll add yet to that, we still need to be vigilant and implement the normal measures of working from home where you can, washing hands, wearing masks etc.

Stay safe folks
Thanks baggy1

ONS estimates 0.21% of the population have Covid. Of those obviously a very small number are now dying (thankfully).

The costs the current lockdown measures are having on people's (other) health and economically are way way higher. We really need to be getting real about this. My better half went for a blood test at Good Hope yesterday - it was empty - when she asked if it was always like this she was told yes it has been for a while now because people aren't coming in. Many more unfortunately will die due to this than Covid.
(10-02-2020, 11:22 AM)billybassett Wrote: Thanks baggy1

ONS estimates 0.21% of the population have Covid. Of those obviously a very small number are now dying (thankfully).

The costs the current lockdown measures are having on people's (other) health and economically are way way higher. We really need to be getting real about this. My better half went for a blood test at Good Hope yesterday - it was empty - when she asked if it was always like this she was told yes it has been for a while now because people aren't coming in. Many more unfortunately will die due to this than Covid.

So it's up to the individuals to get on with going to hospital appointments......
(10-02-2020, 12:22 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(10-02-2020, 11:22 AM)billybassett Wrote: Thanks baggy1

So it's up to the individuals to get on with going to hospital appointments......

If they're not in a lockdown area, yes. Unfortunately people are confused on what they can and can't do by the looks of it.
It’s the cancer checks that worry me too. I think that’s a ticking time bomb. Hope I’m wrong.