These here students
I havnt read anything.......point out where ..
(09-30-2020, 10:00 AM)strawman Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 09:39 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I hope that a consequence of covid is that as a country we have a closer look at our universities operate.

Do they provide value for money for students ? Or have some become a money generating machine, that's not fit for purpose.

I have read, and I am not sure how true it is, that unless you have studied, medicine, law or accountancy then the amount you will earn is, for women 20% and for men 0%, than those who never went to uni.

Personally I have 2 sons. 1 an academic went to uni, studied security and associated law, got his masters and now works in Australia. My youngest, who was basically written off by the school, firstly went into the army for 5 years and while there took a few courses in IT. When he came out he went straight into a job but at a very low level. He then studied on line and gained qualifications paid for by himself, got a better job and increased his salary by about 15k. 

Unfortunately when the lockdown hit he was made redundant as the company he worked for was a large cruise company. He had carried on studying in his own time and gained more qualifications so he immediately got another position with a further 10k rise, has 2 graduates under him and earns more than my eldest.

The cost of his self education was a tiny percentage of what he would have paid for uni.

I believe that about 60% of graduates are in non-graduate jobs or in jobs that have no relation whatsoever to what they studied.
You pays your money and takes your choice

I went. My current job required me to be educated to degree level but nothing specific. More importantly, I got to move away from home, meet some great folks and have a belter time for three years. My loan is being paid off and it's not taken into account when looking at mortgages. It's a life experience as much as an educational one and it's certainly not the be all and end all in terms of career prospects.
(09-30-2020, 10:39 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I havnt read anything.......point out where ..

In them putting 'HELP' and "SEND BEER' in post its on their windows. They are just having a laugh at the situation, they don't actually need someone to break down the doors and release them  Big Grin

(09-30-2020, 09:39 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I hope that a consequence of covid is that as a country we have a closer look at our universities operate.

Do they provide value for money for students ? Or have some become a money generating machine, that's not fit for purpose.

I have read, and I am not sure how true it is, that unless you have studied, medicine, law or accountancy then the amount you will earn is, for women 20% and for men 0%, than those who never went to uni.

Personally I have 2 sons. 1 an academic went to uni, studied security and associated law, got his masters and now works in Australia. My youngest, who was basically written off by the school, firstly went into the army for 5 years and while there took a few courses in IT. When he came out he went straight into a job but at a very low level. He then studied on line and gained qualifications paid for by himself, got a better job and increased his salary by about 15k. 

Unfortunately when the lockdown hit he was made redundant as the company he worked for was a large cruise company. He had carried on studying in his own time and gained more qualifications so he immediately got another position with a further 10k rise, has 2 graduates under him and earns more than my eldest.

The cost of his self education was a tiny percentage of what he would have paid for uni.

I believe that about 60% of graduates are in non-graduate jobs or in jobs that have no relation whatsoever to what they studied.

Similar story here, 2 kids - my lad studied as a QS and couldn't get into that field but retrained and moved into PM. my daughter did an apprenticeship with the DfE and has moved around a bit and managed to earn more than my lad now without any formal qualifications or student debt.
I beg to differ .
(09-30-2020, 10:49 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-30-2020, 10:39 AM)The liquidator Wrote: I havnt read anything.......point out where ..

In them putting 'HELP' and "SEND BEER' in post its on their windows. They are just having a laugh at the situation, they don't actually need someone to break down the doors and release them  Big Grin

Similar story here, 2 kids - my lad studied as a QS and couldn't get into that field but retrained and moved into PM. my daughter did an apprenticeship with the DfE and has moved around a bit and managed to earn more than my lad now without any formal qualifications or student debt.

Really. Well next time you see your lad Boris can you tell him from me that I think he is making a right pigs ear of running the country. Thanks.
(09-30-2020, 10:56 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote:

Really. Well next time you see your lad Boris can you tell him from me that I think he is making a right pigs ear of running the country. Thanks.

Big Grin Big Grin
(09-30-2020, 10:56 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote:

Big Grin  No qualifications needed for that one either. If Boris was my lovechild, I'd be desperately trying to design a time machine
My son is locked in a house near his North East university, not allowed to really go out, can't help with freshers week or social events or even attend any, has no lectures or face 2 face education. Yet for that pleasure the £9250 + £5000+ accom + £X living expenses are racked up in student debt.

But it's ok by all accounts because they're young and need to be protected.

Is it bollocks ok. The elder generation has been protected long enough, we should be getting back to normality and living with this virus now because our kids are being well and truly fked over with every passing week. It's a complete joke and anyone with any brains doing a proper Cost & Benefits & Risk appraisal on this country now would see that... but of course we're run by a couple of muppets, social media and 24hr news scaremongering.
[
I hope that a consequence of covid is that as a country we have a closer look at our universities operate.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Similar experience. I've got 3 kids. 2 went to Uni, had a great time but both are working in jobs different to their qualifications. The other was out of school like a bullet the first chance he got. He now owns a successful small business. I left school at 15 and after a number of years messing about, I've worked for myself ever since, through a no. of recessions and now Covid.
Barring World Wars or terrible health, it normally works out!
Until Universities have an honest conversation with students about the value of degrees then nothing will change.

3,000 more kids graduate with a law degree each year than there are legal training contracts in the UK. Most larger law firms prefer to take non-cognate graduates from elite universities and mould them. This has been going on for three decades and is outrageous dishonesty from education providers.