UK Covid death toll
(09-21-2020, 05:52 AM)JOK Wrote: Oh well, as long as you and Bromsgrove are alright...

Let’s ignore and leave to their fate the other areas of the country where cases are shooting up, hospital admissions rising and the seven day average of deaths has doubled.

I don’t think the majority on this bored are “scared sh*tless”, just pragmatic and considerate of others.

Oh, by the way, there isn’t a magic invisible wall around precious Bromsgrove that the virus cannot  get through. Shortly, it will reach there and people people there will start to suffer and either have long term effects or die. Still, your gold and gilts can’t catch it.
I know the economy needs to be oiled but there is a fine line to be found to keep thousands safe. Yes thousands, are you happy to allow all those families miseries just so you can go to a pub?

He has his Instagram page to think about.
(09-20-2020, 09:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote: <Checks in to see whether WBAUnofficial Bored is still scared witless by a disease highly unlikely to seriously affect them, but far more likely to cost them their job>

<Confirms>

<Checks Bromsgrove District Covid cases in last week. Down 10 to 21 (out of 98,000) Sleeps easily>

Bookings must be drying up for the mobile disco.
(09-21-2020, 07:06 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 05:52 AM)JOK Wrote: Oh well, as long as you and Bromsgrove are alright...

Let’s ignore and leave to their fate the other areas of the country where cases are shooting up, hospital admissions rising and the seven day average of deaths has doubled.

I don’t think the majority on this bored are “scared sh*tless”, just pragmatic and considerate of others.

Oh, by the way, there isn’t a magic invisible wall around precious Bromsgrove that the virus cannot  get through. Shortly, it will reach there and people people there will start to suffer and either have long term effects or die. Still, your gold and gilts can’t catch it.
I know the economy needs to be oiled but there is a fine line to be found to keep thousands safe. Yes thousands, are you happy to allow all those families miseries just so you can go to a pub?

He has his Instagram page to think about.
That was a quick and extremely drastic edit. (Total rewrite) Frit of upsetting a poster?

I think I'm the one being "pragmatic and considerate of others" - particularly the 1.5 miliion or so likely to lose their livelihoods, and the poor kids from already deprived backgrounds being further disadvantaged by year groups being closed due to a case of the snifffles.

Outside this particular bubble patience is wearing very thin. Even the BBC is beginning to recognise that:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-542286...5CFjJO91IY

Though I'm more with Frank Haviland:
https://countrysquire.co.uk/2020/09/21/h...oMTlt4TAcE
(09-21-2020, 08:29 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

I think I'm the one being "pragmatic and considerate of others" - particularly the 1.5 miliion or so likely to lose their livelihoods, and the poor kids from already deprived backgrounds being further disadvantaged by year groups being closed due to a case of the snifffles.

Outside this particular bubble patience is wearing very thin. Even the BBC is beginning to recognise that:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-542286...5CFjJO91IY

Though I'm more with Frank Haviland:
https://countrysquire.co.uk/2020/09/21/h...oMTlt4TAcE

Arf says the Tory activist who has supported cuts to schools, youth services and other services set-up to support the most disadvantaged young people for at least a decade! Got to love these libertarians and their new found concern for people losing their jobs, the disadvantaged. Pull the other one not everyone has short term memory loss with regards the to the last decade.
(09-21-2020, 08:55 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Arf says the Tory activist who has supported cuts to schools, youth services and other services set-up to support the most disadvantaged young people for at least a decade! Got to love these libertarians and their new found concern for people losing their jobs, the disadvantaged. Pull the other one not everyone has short term memory loss with regards the to the last decade.

Would that be the decade where employment has risen year on year? The decade when more disadvantaged kids have gone to university than at any point in our history?

That decade? Or another decade Dekka?

It's not me with the memory loss Dear.

And let me be quite frank - if you support these restrictions and any extension of them, then you're complicit.
I've kept a watching brief on this thread. It's a very interesting conversation and shows another polarisation of people in how things should be dealt with.

For me the concept that we can't discuss the longer term impacts shutting the country down again or enforcing many of these local lockdowns because of the the short term potential impact on life of Covid is for me a bit of a nonsense.

Whole areas of the West Midlands and North East are being shut down slowly because of, on average, a spike of 20-30 Covid positive tests against a background now of 83000 people tested a day. The concept that the graph in April is one that we compare against today is facile. Only those at death's door were being tested then and thus the spike in April is so undercooked it's untrue. Saying we're heading for a second spike is a nonsense.

Look at the graph of patients admitted to hospital due to Covid. 205 in the whole of England on 18 Sep. There were 13 tragic deaths, there were more than that on 3 Aug.

We are comparing apples with oranges, we are killing a far greater number of people through the decimation of our economy, mental livelihood, the education of our kids etc. We had the lockdown we halted the virus at enormous cost. Can we now please learn to live with the virus and get on with the rebuilding of the country that will in all honesty probably wipe out the next 10 years of our kid's lives.
Amen to that
Some interesting stuff in this presser from Vallance and Whitty.

If cases continue to rise as they are, we could have almost 50,000 cases on 13th October.

Cases going up in all age groups, not just the 'young'.

Four ways to stop the increase... reducing individual risk, ensuring people are self-isolating, break unnecessary links between households (whatever that is) and development of a vaccine.
(09-21-2020, 10:16 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: Some interesting stuff in this presser from Vallance and Whitty.

If cases continue to rise as they are, we could have almost 50,000 cases on 13th October.

Cases going up in all age groups, not just the 'young'.

Four ways to stop the increase... reducing individual risk, ensuring people are self-isolating, break unnecessary links between households (whatever that is) and development of a vaccine.

50,000 people with the virus doesn't mean 50,000 cases. It means 50,000 people have the virus not that they are ill or need treatment.