Summer Transfer Window Thread
Just been looking at Toney's record. He's obviously just had an excellent season at Peterborough as has played a hell of a lot of football already in his career for a 24 year old. However, paying up to £10m for a player who, aside from a couple of appearances for Newcastle, has only ever played in the bottom 2 divisions and has a goalscoring record of 1 in 3 in nearly 300 appearances seems slightly risky to me.

I'm not expecting Albion to spend large amounts in the summer and it would probably be ill-advised in what is a very unpredictable transfer market in view of the current global financial situation. I would expect more of our business to be looking at lower division players who could take us back up assuming we don't survive this season. There was a very interesting interview in the press with Mark Jenkins a few weeks ago talking about the likely financial prospects for Football League clubs this season and what the effect would have been on Albion had we not been promoted. I would imagine we'll be taking a longer term view as we always did under Peace and keeping the club in a more stable financial state so we could be one of the bigger spenders in the Championship should relegation occur rather than worrying about other Premier League clubs chucking money all over the place and following suit.
Loathe to comment these days on transfer windows. I think as a group of fans we don't have a great record of judging the quality of our summer transfer business, whether it be an individual player of the squad as a collective.

And i can't affect what will happen so i am not going to worry about it.

What i would say is that with the exception of Clem4england, no one seems to be too worried about our form over the second half of the season, if we had replicated the second half of the season in the first we wouldn't have made the play offs.

I would have thought the priority for the club would be to work out why this happened and what is required to put it right.

Going into Xmas i thought the squad would only need a few tweaks to make it competitive at premiership level - now i'm not so sure.
Thus is the summer of transfer discontent? A malaise in the search dept?
I think it’ll come right. We’re better off than last summer where I expected nothing of the season, so with a broad brush an optimistic stilleben can be painted.

Minimum, absolute minimum, expectation for this window remains Grady Krovsson, Peirera, Robinson, and a first class striker signed. Less than that and sickly results will swill an ill tide.
(08-31-2020, 02:16 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Loathe to comment these days on transfer windows. I think as a group of fans we don't have a great record of judging the quality of our summer transfer business, whether it be an individual player of the squad as a collective.

What i would say is that with the exception of Clem4england, no one seems to be too worried about our form over the second half of the season, if we had replicated the second half of the season in the first we wouldn't have made the play offs.

I would have thought the priority for the club would be to work out why this happened and what is required to put it right.

Going into Xmas i thought the squad would only need a few tweaks to make it competitive at premiership level - now i'm not so sure.

We had a poor run over Christmas and lost one of our best players to injury. Then we had a good run around the Milwall match and went unbeaten for a bit. Post lockdown matches, I wouldn't put so much weight on because it was such bizarre circumstances. The pressure did seem to get to us, but we got there in the end.

I'm not sure why some are so keen to make out we fluked promotion.
(08-31-2020, 04:21 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 02:16 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Loathe to comment these days on transfer windows. I think as a group of fans we don't have a great record of judging the quality of our summer transfer business, whether it be an individual player of the squad as a collective.

We had a poor run over Christmas and lost one of our best players to injury. Then we had a good run around the Milwall match and went unbeaten for a bit. Post lockdown matches, I wouldn't put so much weight on because it was such bizarre circumstances. The pressure did seem to get to us, but we got there in the end.

Indeed, we didn’t fluke anything. Over 46 matches we were the second best team in the league.
(08-31-2020, 04:28 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 02:16 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Loathe to comment these days on transfer windows. I think as a group of fans we don't have a great record of judging the quality of our summer transfer business, whether it be an individual player of the squad as a collective.

Indeed, we didn’t fluke anything. Over 46 matches we were the second best team in the league.

Yes and no. 

Over 46 games we got the second highest number of points so certainly deserved promotion, however let’s not overlook the fact our season was heavily front-loaded.

We took 50 points from our first 23 games, and then took 33 from the second half of the season... we also looked completely flat for the majority of the second half of the season (we won 8 of our last 23 games...) especially after lockdown, and had it not been for Brentford bottling it, we’d have fallen out of the top 2. Our points tally would also have failed to see us get automatic in 11 of the previous 12 seasons.

Yes, we deserved to go up, as we took more points than 22 other sides from the same games, but let’s not kid ourselves we did anything more than limp over the line... and we’re a far weaker side as it stands than the one that managed to do that!
(08-31-2020, 04:35 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Yes and no. 

Over 46 games we got the second highest number of points so certainly deserved promotion, however let’s not overlook the fact our season was heavily front-loaded.

We took 50 points from our first 23 games, and then took 33 from the second half of the season... we also looked completely flat for the majority of the second half of the season (we won 8 of our last 23 games...) especially after lockdown, and had it not been for Brentford bottling it, we’d have fallen out of the top 2. Our points tally would also have failed to see us get automatic in 11 of the previous 12 seasons.

Yes, we deserved to go up, as we took more points than 22 other sides from the same games, but let’s not kid ourselves we did anything more than limp over the line... and we’re a far weaker side as it stands than the one that managed to do that!

It wasn't a normal season though, so I don't think it's fair to judge the second half of the season so harshly.

When we beat Bristol City 3-0, nobody was saying we were doing poorly. We looked pretty much at our best. After that, we beat Preston without even breaking sweat. Then we were beaten by a Wigan team on excellent form. Then a 0-0 draw to Swansea, our first 0-0 of the season, not a terrible result, although we looked a little flat.

Then we had the lockdown matches. Four draws, three wins and two defeats. Hardly catastrophic, particularly considering the team were clearly missing playing in front of fans.
(08-31-2020, 04:49 PM)Squid Wrote:
(08-31-2020, 04:35 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Yes and no. 

It wasn't a normal season though, so I don't think it's fair to judge the second half of the season so harshly.

When we beat Bristol City 3-0, nobody was saying we were doing poorly. We looked pretty much at our best. After that, we beat Preston without even breaking sweat. Then we were beaten by a Wigan team on excellent form. Then a 0-0 draw to Swansea, our first 0-0 of the season, not a terrible result, although we looked a little flat.

Then we had the lockdown matches. Four draws, three wins and two defeats. Hardly catastrophic, particularly considering the team were clearly missing playing in front of fans.

Can cut the season into as many chunks as you like, but we’ve won 8 games since Christmas... to put that into perspective, Villa won 5 in the same time period.

We got off to a blistering start and that form saw us promoted, but other than the odd flash in the pan result/performance we’ve not really looked convincing in 2020 IMO, and it’ll take a lot more than Troy Deeney on loan to make us competitive.
It's hardy worth discussing our promotion season without taking into account the virus. We weren't out of the top 2 for virtually the whole season and the fact some teams had nothing to lose and everything to gain was the simple reason for the nervous finish. When the chips were down, they didn't handle the pressure too well either.
 I am concerned that we are a couple of players shy of our best team last season and that is nowhere near what we need this year. Personally I have some faith in the current regime inasmuch as they will do their best for the club given the resources. I am also calm because they certainly won't bankrupt the club and we will still have a ground (owned by Albion), whatever transpires. Based on last season's business, we will strengthen quite well. Whether it will be enough is anyone's guess.
 I'll be there(abouts) whatever Wink
West Brom mulling move for Cedric Kipre
By Matt Maher | West Bromwich Albion | Published: Less than an hour ago

Albion will weigh up their options before deciding whether to pursue a move for Wigan defender Cedric Kipre.

Cedric Kipre of Wigan Athletic blocks a shot from Matheus Pereira of West Bromwich Albion (AMA)
The Baggies have held talks over the 23-year-old and are increasingly confident it is a deal they can get done.

But they are expected to check on other targets before pushing ahead. Blackburn are believed to have agreed a fee of £900,000 for Kipre but the player would prefer a Premier League move and Albion may offer one.

Sporting director Luke Dowling is determined to get the maximum from what is a relatively tight budget as Albion prepare for a top flight return.

In addition to Kipre, talks have also taken place with Brighton over defender Shane Duffy and goalkeeper David Button.

ADVERTISING

The Seagulls want around £1million for the latter, though the Baggies are hoping to agree a lower fee. Albion will also decide this week whether to push ahead with a move for Watford striker Troy Deeney, while they

remain in discussions with Benfica over another loan deal for midfielder Filip Krovinovic.

Matheus Pereira remains Albion’s only permanent signing since winning promotion in July. It is believed the Baggies have around £20million in total to spend.

Preparations on the pitch for a top flight campaign now less than a fortnight away will continue today when the Baggies play their latest warm-up match.

Slaven Bilic’s men are set to face an EFL opponent, who have requested all details of the behind closed doors fixture are kept private.

Conor Townsend and Kenneth Zohore are expected to get their first taste of pre-season action after both missed Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Nottingham Forest through injury.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...ric-kipre/