In any other time
There would be uproar about the leadership of this country, the handling of the pandemic has been one of the worst in the world epitomised by Boris not bothering to even turn up to the 1st few Cobra meetings, delaying the lockdown and boasting about shaking hands when we were on the precipice of a medical disaster, and then the shambles of reopening the economy. This has led to one of the worst death rates in the world, the worst economic recoveries as published today and still no clear path to get out of this shithole.

In normal times there would have at least been a leadership challenge or the muppet in chief falling on his sword, but not at this point where Brexit is so important to the few that they will push on until it is delivered no matter what the damage to the country is. Everyone knows it, even the Brexiteers are having second thoughts about at least the timing of it, but fuck it, fuck the economy, fuck the union and fuck the people because the elite few want it delivered.

We are sacrificing our futures here for an ideological dream / nightmare.
But look at the people coming into the country in dinghy’s!

Don’t look at the fact that UK has achieved the largest recession of any G7 country as well as the highest excess death rate in Europe.
(08-12-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: We are sacrificing our futures here for an ideological dream / nightmare.

Yes, the further nationalisation of private debt and the debasement of our currency as a store of value.

No other political party would do anything differently either.

In this context Brexit doesn't matter one jot.

#BuyGold
(08-12-2020, 09:18 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: We are sacrificing our futures here for an ideological dream / nightmare.

Yes, the further nationalisation of private debt and the debasement of our currency as a store of value.

#BuyGold

But in many other contexts it does, and whilst we are now seeing that we don't actually get control of our borders in the way that Brexit was intended there's another reason crossed off the list.

Do you still think Brexit is a good idea and if so, is 31st of December still the right time?
(08-12-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

#BuyGold

But in many other contexts it does, and whilst we are now seeing that we don't actually get control of our borders in the way that Brexit was intended there's another reason crossed off the list.

Do you still think Brexit is a good idea and if so, is 31st of December still the right time?

If you don't have an effective border force you don't have control of your borders. If you put illegal migrants up in 4 star hotels rather than secure units you enocurage further illegal migration. I'm not sure any of this is rocket science.

I think December 31st is an absolutely ideal time to cut our cord with the EU, if not sooner. As we're a huge importer of goods I'd also be adopting a position of unilateral free trade which will give our economy a phenomenal boost - provided that we let failing uncompetitive industries go.
(08-12-2020, 10:01 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

#BuyGold

If you don't have an effective border force you don't have control of your borders. If you put illegal migrants up in 4 star hotels rather than secure units you enocurage further illegal migration. I'm not sure any of this is rocket science.

I think December 31st is an absolutely ideal time to cut our cord with the EU, if not sooner. As we're a huge importer of goods I'd also be adopting a position of unilateral free trade which will give our economy a phenomenal  boost - provided that we let failing uncompetitive industries go.

Do you think they should have thought about an effective border force at about the time they started saying we want to get control of our borders back?

And as for the 2nd bit, you seem to be advocating that we increase our balance of payments and our unemployment at the same time. What could possibly go wrong?
(08-12-2020, 10:01 AM)Protheroe Wrote: I think December 31st is an absolutely ideal time to cut our cord with the EU, if not sooner. As we're a huge importer of goods I'd also be adopting a position of unilateral free trade which will give our economy a phenomenal  boost - provided that we let failing uncompetitive industries go.

You mean the previously competitive industries pre-Brexit that are only going to fail because of Brexit?

And increasing unemployment at a time when unemployment is going to increase massively is suicidal.
(08-12-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: 1, This has led to one of the worst death rates in the world, 
2, even the Brexiteers are having second thoughts about at least the timing of it...
3, fuck the economy,
4, fuck the union.
5, fuck the people because the elite few want it delivered.

6, We are sacrificing our futures here for an ideological dream / nightmare.
1, Second in deaths per million, true. (at time of writing) It is not as straight forward as that. (As I'm certain you know but still, let's not spoil a good sound bite) There are other factors which should be taken into the equation. 
2, Are they. What percentage? Who? Try not to mention Davies' criticism of the, as yet, un settled deal.
3, Yet to be known.
4, The Union (if you mean the U.K.) was fracturing anyway. 
5, You mean the majority of those that voted? The majority of Labour voting, working class areas. Those "Elite few" you mean? 
6, Your opinion. As with no.2, yet to be proven.
(08-12-2020, 10:37 AM)JOK Wrote:
(08-12-2020, 08:14 AM)baggy1 Wrote: 1, This has led to one of the worst death rates in the world, 
2, even the Brexiteers are having second thoughts about at least the timing of it...
3, fuck the economy,
4, fuck the union.
5, fuck the people because the elite few want it delivered.

6, We are sacrificing our futures here for an ideological dream / nightmare.
1, Second in deaths per million, true. (at time of writing) It is not as straight forward as that. (As I'm certain you know but still, let's not spoil a good sound bite) There are other factors which should be taken into the equation. 
2, Are they. What percentage? Who? Try not to mention Davies' criticism of the, as yet, un settled deal.
3, Yet to be known.
4, The Union (if you mean the U.K.) was fracturing anyway. 
5, You mean the majority of those that voted? The majority of Labour voting, working class areas. Those "Elite few" you mean? 
6, Your opinion. As with no.2, yet to be proven.

1. 61k excess deaths in a population of 60 million is far from a sound bite, I'm surprised you even question that one with a vague 'other factors' comment. It was simple, pay attention, turn up to meetings, lock down earlier i think we are well past that argument.
2. Davies and IDS were the leaders of the movement who are questioning it, the remain voting parties polled more than the leave parties in the election but don't let that get in the way of a good vagueness.
3. We're fucked face it
4. oh well that's ok, lets fuck it completely
5. No i mean the elites that led the charge knowing they would be protected - the voters were lied to and conned all the way through, again proven beyond even worth commenting on.
6. see 3
I imagine other party’s would given the intel have locked down earlier. It was obvious what was going to hit us when when we had an oven ready example in Italy to learn from.

I imagine other party leaders wouldn’t have not attended Cobra meetings on the brink of a pandemic

I imagine other party’s would have not abandoned track and trace in March only to give dubious contracts to various inappropriate companies