Fanzines
I used to sell GD - got me in the ground for free for about a season. I subsequently had several scholarly articles published in both Fingerpost and LTTRS. So there.
Simon wrote an enjoyable book 'Flight of The Throstle Part 1' about the trials and tribulations of the late-80's/early-90's which was a good read. Pity that i dont think theres been a 'Part 2' . Wonder if thats because of the supposed Megson 'thing'?
(07-29-2020, 10:39 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 10:05 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: I used to subscribe to Grorty Dick. Good reading generally. I remember going to the ground early one match day and I got talking with Terry Wills as we left the Metro. It was just an innocent 'hello, you're one of the GD team' type of things, just making conversation really. He looked really panicky and as though he couldn't get away quickly enough until I mentioned I was a GD fan and thanked him and the rest of the GD team for their efforts.

It wasn't until a few months later that I heard some of them had been coming in for stick for criticism of SGM. Shame really as having a different point of view is just that. Simon and Glynis attend (pre Covid) the occasional Sutton Coldfield supporters meeting and Christmas meal. Simon has become a regular Hereford Utd attendee.

I used to buy opposition fanzines when on sale at the Smeth' corner and when on away days. Special mentions to King of the Kippax, Fly Me to the Moon, Niall Quinn's Disco Pants, The Oatcake and The Zulu. The latter was quite funny in a thick as fuck kind of way.

Didn't Megson stop them getting access to the club so they started a vendetta against him.

He stopped access to the training ground as he didn't think it was professional to have supporters around. I think he made some comments re negativity around the players and also commented on the GD team's sartorial ellegance (or lack of it) from memory too. Not sure they launched a vendetta so much as they wanted to see a bit more football. Long time ago now.
The sound of "Grrrrrroooorty Dick Aaaaalbion fanziiiiiiiine!" is a sound i miss when walking to the ground.
(07-29-2020, 11:11 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 10:05 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote: I used to subscribe to Grorty Dick. Good reading generally. I remember going to the ground early one match day and I got talking with Terry Wills as we left the Metro. It was just an innocent 'hello, you're one of the GD team' type of things, just making conversation really. He looked really panicky and as though he couldn't get away quickly enough until I mentioned I was a GD fan and thanked him and the rest of the GD team for their efforts.

It wasn't until a few months later that I heard some of them had been coming in for stick for criticism of SGM. Shame really as having a different point of view is just that. Simon and Glynis attend (pre Covid) the occasional Sutton Coldfield supporters meeting and Christmas meal. Simon has become a regular Hereford Utd attendee.

I used to buy opposition fanzines when on sale at the Smeth' corner and when on away days. Special mentions to King of the Kippax, Fly Me to the Moon, Niall Quinn's Disco Pants, The Oatcake and The Zulu. The latter was quite funny in a thick as fuck kind of way.

Didn't Megson stop them getting access to the club so they started a vendetta against him.

He stopped access to the training ground as he didn't think it was professional to have supporters around. I think he made some comments re negativity around the players and also commented on the GD team's sartorial ellegance (or lack of it) from memory too. Not sure they launched a vendetta so much as they wanted to see a bit more football. Long time ago now.

My mates maintenance company (he was the boss )use to do a lot of work at the Hawthorns and the training ground in those days and he use to tell us things going on that never got in the papers.He said Megson stopped anyone coming into the training ground until after 1pm after training finished,including maintenance workers because he was sick of getting home on a friday and finding his son knew the starting lineup for the next day and it was all over the internet.Megson use to finish of training with a short game with saturday starting line up v the rest and some fan was noting the players and putting it on the net.Peace also had fencing put across access to the canal ,we use to cross over the canal bridge and watch them .
(07-29-2020, 11:45 AM)Alf Tupper Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 11:11 AM)GunsOfNavarone Wrote:

he was sick of getting home on a friday and finding his son knew the starting lineup for the next day and it was all over the internet.Megson use to finish of training with a short game with saturday starting line up v the rest and some fan was noting the players and putting it on the net.
We know who used to post the team on here....
(07-29-2020, 11:09 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Simon wrote an enjoyable book 'Flight of The Throstle Part 1' about the trials and tribulations of the late-80's/early-90's which was a good read. Pity that i dont think theres been a 'Part 2' . Wonder if thats because of the supposed Megson 'thing'?

Glynis published "Dreaming Of The Greed League", which was a compilation of her diaries.  Had some "interesting" reviews...

The Diary used to be published on this Dump/Bored when it was Rivals but got pulled by the hipsters (who are now all old men running multinational empires or chip vans).
This is what inspyered Bielsa...
The anti-Megson editorial by Grorty Dick wasn’t helpful or needed at the time. They imo were completely out of step with the average fan who was just grateful that he had dragged our sorry ass out of the gutter and gave us some pride back. Banging on about the style of football just came across as sour grapes by a fanzine that seemed happier when we were shite than when we had some success.
I'm pretty sure I've got all of the GDs and most, if not all, of the other ones that were dedicated to us and they're all in a box in my old bedroom at my dad's. I couldn't get enough of them before I discovered the rivals bored. Given the period that they were popular, I think they would be a must-see for anyone who ever fancied writing a book about our 'dark days'. It was always noticeable how much more content there was in these when we were doing particularly badly.

Apart from buying the fanzines off the GD team, the only time I spoke to them was when I took a mate of mine to a game, who happened to be an editor of a fledgling Villa fanzine. Naively thinking that there'd be a camaraderie amongst fanzine editors, I introduced my mate to Simon Wright who was very rude and said something along the lines of "I thought I could smell fish". Me and my mate just walked off, a bit bemused. Big Grin