That "Level Playing Field"
The extension isn't to get them to change their stance, it's to allow us to get ready. We simply are not ready as a country, we don't have the infrastructure and we haven't given businesses enough time to undertstand what they need to do. Th government only formally declared the border controls that will be in place last week, this isn't simply about another form to fill out, it's about many large forms to fill out for each consignment. It's about having the understanding of how long goods will be held in lorry parks - think about perishable goods for instance.

And still there are people like yourself saying 'they'll change their stance, it's in their interest' - yes it is but not as much as it is in ours and we aren't moving, why do we expect them to?
(07-16-2020, 01:31 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And the big point you are missing is that I'm not cheering for the EU, I'm just pointing out that we can't expect them (and realistically never should have expected them) to bend over and give us everything that we want. This is something that I have pointed out from long before the referendum - we were deluded to think this would be an easy ride and people are even further deluded if we think the current wombles in power can deliver milk, let alone a multi national set of trade and relationship deals.

I don't think we're asking for anything more than the Canada style free trade deal they offered us years ago. They don't seem that keen on that idea these days for some reason.
(07-15-2020, 04:10 PM)Pickle Rick Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 03:55 PM)baggy1 Wrote: The EU Court, and it was the EC that brought a case against Ireland (much like any law challenge). Here's the hard bit - THE EU COURT UPHELD IRELAND'S STANCE

The European Commission is a European Union court/body, the GCEU (another European Union court/body) has ruled against the EC, who will now appeal to a higher European Union court/body apparently, presumably the CJEU.

Edit: So the above  "EU tells EU that EU did not break EU rules" is kind of true!

https://ec.europa.eu/info/about-european-commission_en

Is this like the UK telling the UK they can't rescind a UK citizen's UK citizenship because they broke UK Rules?
I thought we were all told we had an ‘oven ready’ deal already in place?
(07-16-2020, 08:22 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I thought we were all told we had an ‘oven ready’ deal already in place?

That's also what the EU told us, before they changed their mind.
(07-17-2020, 07:39 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-16-2020, 08:22 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I thought we were all told we had an ‘oven ready’ deal already in place?

That's also what the EU told us, before they changed their mind.

For once in your life accept that the buffoons that you helped get into power have fucked up totally, stop blaming everyone else.
(07-17-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote: For once in your life accept that the buffoons that you helped get into power have fucked up totally, stop blaming everyone else.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm pointing out the fact that the EU has withdrawn the trade deal it put on the table.

I apologise if you're troubled by the fact, but a fact it remains.
The EU have never put a "Canada-Style" trade deal on the table. Seriously, what the hell are you on about?
Simple question why would the EU just let us cherry pick the benefits of membership to the EU without the obligations they come with? 

I haven’t read or heard the EU ever compromise on this and why should they? They have to show that being part of the EU is preferable to not being. Many of us are still waiting for any semblance of an argument why the EU is wrong in its assertion to demand this or that we would indeed be better of with them. 

Is this another example of Libertarian bullshit where only the liberty / exceptionalism of In this case the U.K. well England let’s be honest is more important than the countries involved and should get everything we want or we shall take our ball home?
(07-17-2020, 09:35 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 09:23 AM)baggy1 Wrote: For once in your life accept that the buffoons that you helped get into power have fucked up totally, stop blaming everyone else.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm pointing out the fact that the EU has withdrawn the trade deal it put on the table.

I apologise if you're troubled by the fact, but a fact it remains.

I'm interested in this 'taking the trade deal off the table', it's the usual 'confuse them to keep them quiet' - the agreement is still being discussed and nothing is 'off the table'. The EU are saying that there needs to be a full relationship agreement including trade and everything else, the UK is trying to complete it piecemeal.

No need for you to apologise in the typical government manner of not actually apologising. You really have bought into the whole ethos of this bunch of muppets haven't you?